Hornet M: What changes should I expect over time?
Apr 24, 2007 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JimBob1971

100+ Head-Fier
I am fortunate enough to have bought a Hornet M last week. I have to say it is better looking and far smaller in real life than it looks in the pics. It is really quite dinky.

It only has about 30 hours on it so far and whilst I find it very nice I was kind of shocked that an EBay CMOY variant I have sounds as good at the moment.
blink.gif
The CMOY has been burnt in for about 150 hours, and seems to have a slightly deeper soundstage. It is also slightly warmer which I like. However, the main point being I reckon I'd actually have trouble telling the difference between the two in a blind test....

How will the Hornet develop in the next 100 hours or beyond? I use the Hornet on either low or medium gain. Not really sure if the gain setting has any impact on sound quality.

Cheers,
James

PS.
I'm using Shure E500s/TF 10s with 1st gen Ipod mini and Micro Cryo. I'll have a bunch of 'proper' sized headphones next week so will be able to see how harder to drive headphone sound on both amps.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 11
Depends, you might not notice ANY significant changes. I've seen threads showing how it changed dramatically after 400+ hours... For me, the changes were subtle, if it all. The sonic signature developed a little more punch (as far as bass), but the Hornet, from the day I had it, seemed to be forward (in the mids) and narrow in the soundstage, too aggressive for me, which is why I switched to the SR-71.. Anyway, try NOT to look at these forums and write down your own analysis of what changed at different milestones... 50 hours ...100 hours...250 etc... At about 500, compare what you've discovered to what's been written, that would be an interesting exercise.
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 11
Yeah, I intend to do that. I'll also maybe conduct a blind test on a chap I know on here and see what he thinks. Let me say, I'm in no way knocking the Hornet, I really like the sound. I'll see if I can find an SR71 and perhaps Tomahawk to compare.

Oh no, I can feel myself being dragged in.......

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 11
LOL! Yes, I agree the Hornet is a top performer, great quality, sound, and customer service to boot! It's just the sonic signature wasn't for me... I'm just saying don't expect night and day differences.... if any changes do happen, it'll be subtle ones at best. The only SS amps I've heard of that change dramatically over time are the ones that use Blackgate caps.

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 11
It took about 450 hours for my Hornet "M" to settle. The bass which was way to much in the begining became more in tune with the mids and highs. The soundstage opened and the amp became more clear.

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 11
For my Hornet M. I loved them new. When I burned them in longer, i noticed the soundstaging and separation of instruments improve. That's what i heard. Just enjoy them as you go along. I listen to them during the day and plug them into the socket and play while i'm sleeping. I think i got them past 400hrs or so.

Cheers...

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really sure if the gain setting has any impact on sound quality.

In my own experience, the gain setting is extremely important in tuning the sound with each pair of IEMs or headphones. I noticed massive differences in sound quality with my DT 770 Pro/80 when moving from one gain setting to another, and determined that, for me, they sounded by far the best using the Hi setting.

As far as burn-in goes, I've been using mine every day for a couple of months, and have not observed any changes whatsoever. It sounded excellent right out of the box, and it still does. Maybe my ears missed something along the way, but I honestly can say that if there are any differences now as opposed to when it was brand new, I would probably not be able to identify them in an A/B test.

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It took about 450 hours for my Hornet "M" to settle. The bass which was way to much in the begining became more in tune with the mids and highs. The soundstage opened and the amp became more clear.

Interesting. Did you compare your Hornet to a new one?

Cheers,
James

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am fortunate enough to have bought a Hornet M last week. I have to say it is better looking and far smaller in real life than it looks in the pics. It is really quite dinky.

It only has about 30 hours on it so far and whilst I find it very nice I was kind of shocked that an EBay CMOY variant I have sounds as good at the moment.
blink.gif
The CMOY has been burnt in for about 150 hours, and seems to have a slightly deeper soundstage. It is also slightly warmer which I like. However, the main point being I reckon I'd actually have trouble telling the difference between the two in a blind test....

How will the Hornet develop in the next 100 hours or beyond? I use the Hornet on either low or medium gain. Not really sure if the gain setting has any impact on sound quality.

Cheers,
James

PS.
I'm using Shure E500s/TF 10s with 1st gen Ipod mini and Micro Cryo. I'll have a bunch of 'proper' sized headphones next week so will be able to see how harder to drive headphone sound on both amps.

Im not sure that mine sounds any different but then it was pretty well burned in when I bought it from Nick. The biggest difference you will notice is the noise floor with the gain settings, almost pure black background with your E500s on low. I actually use all 3 with Mid for my Grados and High for my HD600s. AWESOME amp, and yes its already pretty compact. I think most people are suprised when they see it. The TH must be a midget amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends, you might not notice ANY significant changes. I've seen threads showing how it changed dramatically after 400+ hours... For me, the changes were subtle, if it all. The sonic signature developed a little more punch (as far as bass), but the Hornet, from the day I had it, seemed to be forward (in the mids) and narrow in the soundstage, too aggressive for me, which is why I switched to the SR-71.. Anyway, try NOT to look at these forums and write down your own analysis of what changed at different milestones... 50 hours ...100 hours...250 etc... At about 500, compare what you've discovered to what's been written, that would be an interesting exercise.
wink.gif

I was gonna link him to my breakdown but I like your idea better!

Please keep a log of what you notice from 0-400hr in whatever intervals you like!

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed massive differences in sound quality with my DT 770 Pro/80 when moving from one gain setting to another, and determined that, for me, they sounded by far the best using the Hi setting.

I thought I noticed that the Hi setting was best too. Unfortunately to use it I have to add an attenuator which I'm sure really defeats the purpose!
icon10.gif

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'll try and keep a quick note of what I discover (baselined against the other amp) and will post if I notice anythiong interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back