Hornet "M" and Micro Amp w/Desktop Mod - comparison
Feb 4, 2007 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=small]What in the world am I writing about?[/size]
[size=small]I’ve noticed a couple of posts wondering about the Hornet compares to the Micro Amp and vice-versa. Since I am lucky enough to own both amps (Hornet “M” and Micro Amp with Desktop Module), and since I just blew past 300 hours of burn-in with my Hornet, I decided to do some critical listening to see how the two amps differed.[/size]

[size=small]Here is my set-up:[/size]
[size=small]Sony CRX 300E (some CD-RW drive on my PC)[/size]
[size=small]Foobar[/size]
[size=small]X-Fi Xtreme Music digital out[/size]
[size=small]Belden 1505F Digital Audio Cable (75 ohm coax) <- a bargain at $35![/size]
[size=small]Headroom Micro DAC[/size]
[size=small]Cardas 6” Mini-to-mini interconnect thingy[/size]
[size=small]RSA Hornet “M” or Headroom Micro Amp w/Desktop Module[/size]
[size=small]Beyerdynamic DT880 (2005) <- chosen because it is my most revealing ‘phone[/size]
[size=small]Note: each amp is being powered via its own power adapter[/size]

[size=small]Stuff I listened to:[/size]
[size=small]Dire Straits – Dire Straits[/size]
[size=small]Def Leppard - Vault: Def Leppard Greatest Hits[/size]
[size=small]Red Hot Chili Peppers – Mother’s Milk[/size]
[size=small]Soundgarden – Superunknown[/size]
[size=small]Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legend[/size]

[size=small]How I tested:[/size]
[size=small]Well, I listened to a bunch of CDs that I noted above. Actually, I took my sound meter and made sure I was listening to each amp at roughly the same volume (74-75 dB on average, with peaks around 84-85 dB). I made measurements for each CD that I popped in. For each song that I listened to, I started out with either one of the amps, and focused on one part of the sound spectrum: bass, mid-range, or treble. Any “ear-catching” passage would be listened to many times – sometimes as many as 12 times for a 1-2 minute passage. Other times, I just let a song play through and see what jumped out at me. When I did this, I’d listen to an entire song anywhere between 2 to 4 times per amplifier.[/size]

[size=small]What I found:[/size]
[size=small]Obviously, my findings are going to be colored by my own preference for sound signatures. Hopefully anyone that reads this in the hopes of learning more about how both amps sound will keep this in mind. Enough talking, here’s what I learned:[/size]

[size=small]BASS[/size]
[size=small]I found the Micro Amp to have more bass than the Hornet. Not A LOT more, but just a little bit more. It isn’t a difference that is very noticeable in most cases. It jumped out at me during the opening 20-30 seconds of Def Leppard’s “Bringin’ on the Heartbreak.” This doesn’t mean that the Hornet is lacking in bass. The Hornet has lots of bass, and it is deep, tight, and every other good adjective that you can hurl about to describe bass. The Micro Amp is the same way, only it gives just a tad more.[/size]

[size=small]MID-RANGE[/size]
[size=small]The Hornet reigns supreme here. The clearest example I found of the Hornet’s better presentation of the mids was on “Setting Me Up” by Dire Straits. Guitars are the clear centerpiece of most Dire Straits’ music, and this song is no exception. The Hornet presents the guitars with fullness and clarity that is beautiful to my old ears. The Micro Amp does a fine job too, but some notes lose their “edge” when passing through the Micro Amp to my DT880. I like timbre, baby! The Micro Amp smoothes stuff out that probably isn’t supposed to be smoothed out.[/size]

[size=small]TREBLE[/size]
[size=small]This is the part of the spectrum in which it was very, very, VERY difficult for me to discern any difference. I mean, I really, REALLY had to listen and get very nitpicky about which amp was able to handle the highs with clarity, accuracy and a wonderful sense of “airiness.” If someone twisted my arm to make me choose between the two, I’d have to give the nod to the Hornet. I was FINALLY able to identify where the Hornet separated itself from the Micro Amp – cymbal and hi-hat types of work. IMHO the Hornet has just enough crispness (without being shrill) and catches the decay of the cymbal and high-hat work nicely. Just so everyone knows, both amps do treble very well. The Micro Amp is no slouch, and I might find that I like it better tomorrow! This was very close to call.[/size]

[size=small]Conclusion:[/size]
[size=small]These amps are similar in sound, with the Micro Amp being slightly warmer and a bit bassier. The Hornet gives a slightly more “airy” feeling to the music. The differences are pretty darn small, if you ask me. I think that one has to listen with the intent of trying SUPER HARD to find differences. For casual listening, it would be hard to imagine the average listener being able to jump on something immediately. Of course, I have tin ears, so what do I know?[/size]

[size=small]If you are thinking of buying either amp and are having a hard time deciding, I honestly think that you need to focus more on the differences in the features and physical characteristics of the amps as opposed to fretting over differences in sound signatures. In other words, how do you intend to use the amp? At your PC, and plugged into the wall for power? On the go, with it in your backpack or pocket hooked up to a DAP? From where I sit and listen, these are the differences that might influence your decision:[/size]

[size=small]HORNET: super small, charges batteries, won’t overcharge batteries, comes in lots of colors, 10 -12 hours battery life (for me), needs only one 9v battery[/size]

[size=small]MICRO AMP (w/Desktop Module): small, but not something you’d stuff into your pocket, chews through batteries, needs two 9v batteries, won’t charge the batteries, has crossfeed, comes in any color you want, as long as it is black[/size]

[size=small]I hope this endeavor proves to be useful for those who wondered about the differences in sound between the Hornet and Micro Amp. They are both great products that can drive just about any headphone. I don’t think that anyone could go wrong choosing one or the other. FWIW, the Hornet is my portable amp and the Micro Amp is my desktop amp.[/size]

Feb 4, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 31
Nice review. Makes me consider snapping up a Micro if it comes along in the FS forums...still underpowering my DT990, straight from my DAC...but it's still great.
600smile.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 31
Am glad to see this thread as I'm really curious on how the Hornet compares to the MicroAmp. I hope more folks chime in on this...

luckybaer, thanks for the impressions.

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 31
Thanks for the informative comparison, luckybaer. I am trying to decide whether to buy the Micro or one of the RSA portables. I wonder what your impression is of the Micro's crossfeed circuit. Does it add anything of value? A more "natural" image? How noticeable is the difference?

I tend to be a bit of a purist when it comes to these sorts of enhancement features. I'm skeptical of any unecessary components in the signal path, and in the past I've pretty much disliked proccessors like SRS, Maxxbass, etc. But I'm also conscious of the very different soundstaging that 'phones provide vs. speakers. Does the crossfeed make the soundstage more "speaker-like?"

Again, thanks for sharing your results!

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 31
thanks for the thoughtful and very helpful review. A numberr of forum members over the months have commented that the MicroAmp has a special synergy with K701s. Your findings seem to support that - slightly more bass lighter midrange to match the strong midrange of the K701s. I am a newbie so please point out the fallacy in my comment if it deserves it.

Thanks again for taking the time to help the rest of us.

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 31
I've never heard the K701. I've heard that it has more bass than either of my main cans - DT880 and K601. My gut feeling tells me that either Hornet or Micro Amp would sound good, so I'd spend some time thinking really hard about how the amp is going to be used before I made a decision.

The Hornet is really flexible, because I think it sounds as good as the Micro Amp, yet it is much more portable - as in listening "on the go" with a DAP on mass transit or something.

Also remember that I'm listening to these amps while they are fed by my Micro DAC. Your experience may differ based on your components.

Feb 4, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 31
OP, very interesting outcome. I did the same comparison when I had the HeadRoom Micro Amp w/ the 2006 Desktop Module. To me there was no comparison, The Hornet "M" was by far the superior unit, better bass (both tighter and punchier), better separation, sweeter sounding, and higher extension.

I guess we all hear differently.
icon10.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, very interesting outcome. I did the same comparison when I had the HeadRoom Micro Amp w/ the 2006 Desktop Module. To me there was no comparison, The Hornet "M" was by far the superior unit, better bass (both tighter and punchier), better separation, sweeter sounding, and higher extension.

I guess we all hear differently.
icon10.gif

Could be my cans. The DT880 definitely have the highs, so maybe any weakness of the Micro Amp was hidden. On the flip side, perhaps the DT880 being relatively light on the bass helped the Micro Amp shine in that regard.

In all honesty, outside of the difference in experience regarding bass, I think our impressions have more in common than you may think. When I say "airy" I mean "better separation" for sure. Also, I think the Hornet's mid-range is more lush, and the description "sweeter sounding" is certainly another phrase I could have used to describe the mid-range. And with my experience with the Hornet's being able to present cymbals and such a bit better I think it is safe to say that the Hornet has better extensions in the highs.

Remember, though... I have tin ears. :)

Which cans did you listen too? Maybe I'd get different results if I tried with my K601 or my DT770?

Feb 4, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review Lucky! I loved the way you organized and presented the material. You need to do more of these!

That would mean I'd have to buy more audio gear!

eek.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 31
I enjoyed your review. It is difficult to describe subtle differences in sound using the written word, and visualization is the only technique that makes any sense to me.

Although I have never heard the Hornet, I was surprised by your conclusions. I would have expected the opposite, based on my experience with the Headroom MicroAmp and Xin amps (which are frequently compared with the Hornet).

Not that I'm a Headroom MicroAmp basher--I love it; I just can't get that 3D sense of soundstage with the Headroom MicroAmp that I get with the Xin SuperMicro. Still, that conclusion is headphone-dependent; My Grado's sound crunchy through my Xin.

I seem to be rambling on about apples and oranges, so I'll stop; my point is I like the way you write. Buy more stuff, and keep 'em coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 31
Thanks for the feedback, Head-fi'ers.

I don't know if I'll be making any big audio-related purchases for a while. I've got my eye on a digital SLR camera (that Canon Rebel XT or XTi...), so if I take pen to hand anytime soon, it might be in "Member's Lounge" to talk about the camera. ha-ha-ha!

On another interesting note, I'm beginning to wonder about the whole "amp + headphone" synergy thing. My review above was done while using my DT880. The DT880 is a headphone that certainly isn't known for copious amounts of bass. They're known as having really nice mids and somewhat bright highs. Perhaps that is why the Micro Amp fared so well to my ears? The Micro Amp does provide a little bit of a kick to the bass and it is known to be somewhat warm overall. Wouldn't that pair well with the DT880? The DT880 gets its brightness "tamed" by the Micro Amp and the Micro Amp gives the DT880's bass a kick start? Hmmm... dunno if that's how things work.

Right now, I am listening to Motley Crue's Greatest Hits with my K601. I wonder what I would think of the two amps in question if I repeated my efforts in an identical manner with the only change being the headphones used? Hmmm....

What impacts the listening experience more, if all other things are equal, the headphones, or the amp? Obviously source matters, but if the souce is identical, which has the potential to have the most impact on the listening experience - them canz, or them ampz? Hmmm... whoa!

Anyone with experience in this kind of stuff, please chime in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back