Hornet for Shure E3C - IPOD listening
Mar 18, 2006 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EdF

New Head-Fier
Before you think I'm out of mind, I am seriously looking at upgrading from the E3C to a better IEM like UE Super.fi 5pro or possibly a sealed headphone like AKG K271 studio. These headphones would be strickly used with the IPOD. I need isolation and low leakage for riding the train.

But before I updgrade I thought I would try the E3C with an RSA Hornet and see how it might impact the quality of sound, e.g., a little deeper bass, more liquid mids, silkier highs.

There's not a lot of risk here. I think the amp route will provide some improvement to much improvement with all the headphones mentioned. At least I'll be using line-out vs. head-phone out.

There's probably not too many of you buying a Hornet for E3Cs but maybe you have tried the combination and can offer your thoughts on how the Hornet impacted the sound of the E3Cs. It would be interesting to see if a quality amp like that the Hornet raises the E3Cs up a notch or two in performance.

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdF
Before you think I'm out of mind, I am seriously looking at upgrading from the E3C to a better IEM like UE Super.fi 5pro or possibly a sealed headphone like AKG K271 studio. These headphones would be strickly used with the IPOD. I need isolation and low leakage for riding the train.

But before I updgrade I thought I would try the E3C with an RSA Hornet and see how it might impact the quality of sound, e.g., a little deeper bass, more liquid mids, silkier highs.

There's not a lot of risk here. I think the amp route will provide some improvement to much improvement with all the headphones mentioned. At least I'll be using line-out vs. head-phone out.

There's probably not too many of you buying a Hornet for E3Cs but maybe you have tried the combination and can offer your thoughts on how the Hornet impacted the sound of the E3Cs. It would be interesting to see if a quality amp like that the Hornet raises the E3Cs up a notch or two in performance.

I'll have my E3s coming in next week, and at the next Toronto meet I'll definately try them with a hornet and let you know.

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 8
The Hornet has a tube like sound that really adds depth and weight IMO. That was the main characteristic that jumped out at me. It's a "fun" sounding amp and has a pretty black background. I don't think any of the ranges jumped out at me as being a strong point in the amp. The bass was pretty tight but smooth at the same time. If you are going with something like the K271 you may want to consider the SMv6 instead as you will probably need the bass boost. The Hornet would probably be a pretty good match for the UE's though.

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
The Hornet has a tube like sound that really adds depth and weight IMO. That was the main characteristic that jumped out at me. It's a "fun" sounding amp and has a pretty black background. I don't think any of the ranges jumped out at me as being a strong point in the amp. The bass was pretty tight but smooth at the same time. If you are going with something like the K271 you may want to consider the SMv6 instead as you will probably need the bass boost. The Hornet would probably be a pretty good match for the UE's though.

How do you like your Hornet with your DT 770s? I have the 80 ohm version, and I'm saving money for a Hornet.

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 8
There are two ways I would look at this:
1) The impact of an amp is not as drastic on IEMs as it is on big phones, so why not get better IEMs first?
2) I want to go up the headphone chain, so I need a amp anyways. Why not now instead of later?

With the E500 threatening to shake up the IEM industry in May, at least in terms of prices, I would go with route 2. Not exactly your question, I'm sure, but I hope it would add conviction to the amp first decision.

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
How do you like your Hornet with your DT 770s? I have the 80 ohm version, and I'm saving money for a Hornet.

Sounds great! Smooths out some of those sharp highs and warms up the mid range, bass is controlled but still has nice impact and texture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back