Hoping someone can direct me to the perfect pair for me.
Jul 14, 2014 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dirtdiver

New Head-Fier
I've been a lurker here for some time, and I think I'm at the point where I want to upgrade to the "next level." I've tried to organize this post as well as I could, with each section divided up.

What I listen to:

Music: Mostly Persian (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-8RC3-BWbU), Country, Dance

Spoken word: Podcasts, Audiobooks

Music Player:

I listen to nearly all of my content on my iPhone 5s. I don't intend on getting a DAC anytime soon, as I like to listen on my iPhone 5s. Also, I have some FLAC and AIFF content, but the bulk of my content is in iTunes Match, so it's typically 256k AAC.

What I currently have:

Sony XBA-H1 - Just got these, might return them. Honestly I love the sound. Not crazy about the red color or the fact it doesn't have a mic and controls, but the sound is awesome. The treble is a bit high, but it still sounds good. 

Klipsch S4i - Have had these for about two years and have always liked them. They sound rich, and have mic and controls. I don't hear lows as well with these as I do on the Sony XBA-H1.

Shure E2 - Have had these since about 2005, and while they sound a bit flat, I've always loved the way they sound.

What I'm looking for:

I know this is long list, but I figure the more details I provide, the easier it is to get recommendation that makes sense for me.

1. $300 or less

2. Preferably available from Amazon Prime (I'm located in Atlanta)

3. I really like having controls and a mic, like on the S4i...makes pausing music at the gym very handy. It could be detachable.

4. I don't care too much about bass, but it's nice to hear the bass that is intended to be heard. I rarely listen to hip hop though.

5. I go to the gym daily, and would like it to stay in my ear. I sweat also...and so earbuds tend to get loose. Nothing works as well as Apple EarPods as far as staying in my ear, but I want quality audio and isolation as well. :)

What I've considered:

Sennheiser IE80 - I've gotten glowing recommendations from people on this one. It's right at $299 on Amazon new.

Shure SE425-V  -  I like that I can replace the cable with the one with iPhone controls and a microphone. Also $299 on Amazon

Klipsch R6i - From what I've read, it's a more refined version of the S4i, and it's $99 and available locally. 

I'm open to just about anything, but again, the cost being under $300 is important. Also, I'm certainly open to buying off the classifieds here to get a better bang for the buck.

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi,

I've heard good things about the new DUNU DN2000.

Best Luck!

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks, I'll take a look. I was hoping someone could look through what I posted and say, "compared to what you have, it's not much of an upgrade if you only want to spend $300" or "The IE80 is a no brainer." Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back