Hoping for some help
Dec 28, 2008 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

alitablake

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm hoping everyone can help me with a recommendation. I've been reading and searching through all the forums for ideas and suggestions on a new set of headphones but it is a lot to take in.

I'm looking for a very durable set of headphones. I work at a boring job that only my music keeps me sane. I need to be able to wear them for 8 hours, 5 days a week.

My current headset is the Bose in-ear headphones. Yes, I know I know. That was my first mistake. However, these did bring me into the world of sound quality. These are the only reference I have other than cheap stock headphones; Therefore, I need the sound quality of these Bose or better.

My main problem with these is the cord. My job requires me to move around a lot. I break through the cord right at the connector every 6 months like clock work. Bose has been kind enough to replace them 3 times now but I'm looking for a set that I won't have to do this every 6 months.

My price range is about $150 or lower. I listen to a lot of different things, Classical, Techno, Rock, Pop, Heavy Metal, Hip Hop. I love the clarity of the voices and the deep rich bass. I use an Ipod Nano.

I do work in a noisy place however, it is kinda vital that I can hear what is happening around me, so noise reduction is not really an issue.

The In-ear canal thing is very foreign to me. I've got virgin ears. I'd prefer headphones that are ear buds or over the ear. I'd prefer nothing in ear or around the ear.

I've read some suggestions to Yuin PK2s are very good earbuds and that the Jays' are very durable. Then lots of mentions of Sennheisers but more towards the around the ear sets rather than the ear buds sets. I need to know if the Yuin PK2s will last or if the Jays and Senheisers sound better than what I have.

I will definitely continue to read these forums but I'm needing a new headset soon. Any recommendations and information would be wonderful.

Thanks loads for your thoughts.

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 7
Hello,

I have a few thoughts here but possible not an answer.

First, let me know if I'm getting your requirements correct:

1) No in ear canal phones or circumaural (big around the ear cans). Or, did you mean nothing in the ear or nothing that loops around/behind the ear??? There are 2 types of non-ear bud or canal phones, they are the kind that sit over the ears (supraaural) and the kind that compelety sit around the ear (bigger and generally more comfortable called circumaural).

2) You want to be able to hear around you and don't mind if sound leaks out because it's loud enough that people won't be bothered by hearing some of your music.

3) A durable cord of some sort would be nice.

4) At least decent (read: Bose) sound quality.

5) Under $150.

6) Easy to drive (IPOD) and you don't have/want an amp.

Well, I need clarification for the first point before we can proceed.

But, if you meant the first way I wrote it: Koss KSC-75.
They are comfortable and have am adjustable clip that goes behind your ear. I'm guessing you break your cord because you step on or catch the cord on something, then move, and it pressures the weakest point which is typcially a connector. With the KSC-75's, the clip is detachable and should become the weak point when the cord is caught on something and simply come off. At that point you just clip it back on.

The sound quality on the KSC-75 is QUITE GOOD! They are somewhat of a treasured headphone around here.

The best part, they are very inexpensive. Usually around $20 or less. You should at least give them a try!

They will not isolate sound in or out. So, if your workplace is extremely noisy you may miss on some of the details of the music (but I mean really noisy. I use mine to cut the grass on lose some detail thanks to the lawnmower).

Ok, if you meant it the second way I wrote it meaning nothing in ear of nothing that clips around the ear, then I have SOMEWHAT of a suggestion. They can be harder to find but the manufacturer may make other models with the same qualities.

They are the Philips SBC-HP890's. They are BIG, and I mean really BIG. I would recommend big circumaural ones like these because you will be listening to them for such long periods of time 5 days a week. These are by far the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.

Also, the cord is detachable. It comes right out at the cup if you snag it and you simply plug it back in. The cord is durable and plenty long.

The sound quality is great as well.

If you can find them they are typically under $100. The only weak point with this model is the pieces that connect the cups to the headband will break over time. But, it will take a while for that to happen.

Feel free to hit me back with any questions. By the way, WELCOME TO HEAD-FI, SORRY ABOUT YOUR WALLET!

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply!

"No in ear canal phones or circumaural (big around the ear cans)."
Right. the Supraaural are dandy. I'd like to stay away from the circumaurals and the canal phones.

No amp. Not now anyway.

As for the reason they break. I don't step on them but yes they do get caught in things, however wiring inside the actual cable breaks. They get to the point that if they move even slightly, the sound cuts out in one or both ears. Right at point where the cable connects to the plug.

Thanks for the Koss recommendation. You welcome me with "By the way, WELCOME TO HEAD-FI, SORRY ABOUT YOUR WALLET!" and then you recommend me a $20 set of headphones. lol

I'm a little worried about the sound leakage. I want to be able to hear but I don't want to be offensive to my coworkers either. I can't beat $20 so I'll definitely try them out.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 7
I was responding to your request and lost it when head-fi crashed this morning.

The Koss are good and currently on close out at Radio Shack for $6. If you listen at levels that won't damage your hearing, leakage is minimal. I might not be good enough for a library with someone very sensitive to noise next to you, but work should be fine.

I was going to suggest the Sennheiser HD485. They're very comfortable, have a similar sound signature as higher end Senns but with less detail, and have a replaceable cable that costs $4. However, they are circumaural.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 7
EDIT: Thought he likes circum but he doesn't so never mind : )

Moving on...

I would say Grado sr-60's or 225's all day long but for the comfort issue. I find them very comfortable but wouldn't for more than a few hours at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back