Hookup Wire + RCA jacks?
Jun 28, 2002 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Anyone recommend some good hookup wire? I don't need anything fancy. . . just something that's going to be better than that lamp cord I'm using now.
wink.gif

Also, I'm looking for some RCA jacks from mouser. Possibly golden, etc.

It would help if the wire was also from mouser.

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 14
Alpha Wire brand irradiated PVC, from Mouser. Doesn't shrink when heated like plain PVC, the insulation is thinner yet still tough enough, the quality is great, etc. The price is a touch high -- 20 cents a foot or something like that. But hey, it beats my other favorite: silver-coated copper with Teflon insulation.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use this stuff for all power and other connections besides signal-path ones. If you're a believer that wire has a "sound" to it, perhaps you should go with silver/copper/Teflon stuff for signal path wires.

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

20 cents a foot isn't too bad. . . I think. That's 5 feet for a dollar.

Minor detail you should know: it only comes in 100' spools, IIRC. Of course you need at least 3 colors.... Starting to look a bit more expensive, isn't it?
frown.gif

Quote:

Any suggestions for 1/4 jacks as well?

Only what you find on the META42 parts lists. The parts I use are among the options given.

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?han...roductid=572816

Yep, that's it, andrzejpw. Hmmmm, only 12 cents a foot. I see the source of my confusion: I'm a 22 gauge fan, so I almost got the type 7055 wire instead, but they were out of the colors I wanted, so I "settled" for the 24 gauge 7054 type. Works for me....

Quote:

For hook up wire I like to use Teflon insulated silver coated Belden stranded.

Me, too -- 40 cents a foot or so, which is pretty good for "high end" wire. Some of the stuff Percy et al. sell is insanely expensive....

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 14
I use silver-plated ofc copper with teflon insulation, solid core. Each 'wire' is composed of 1-24ga, 1-28g and 1-30ga. A pain to strip and work with, but worth the effort.(?)
rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 14
Ok, a few more things:

how did you guys connect 2 9volts? Any battery packs I should check out?

Just two of those dongle-like snap on things?

Mouser part numbers? Please?
smily_headphones1.gif

Secondly, can anyone recommend a blue LED / resistor? I'm having problems finding voltages, etc.

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Just two of those dongle-like snap on things?

Man I hate it when people use tech jargon.
wink.gif
If you want dual 9vs wired in series, go to your local RS and pick up a pack Heavy Duty 9v Battery Snap Connectors (270-324), they come in packs of 5 for about $3.00 or so. Solder the red (+) lead of one to the black (-) lead of another, that will leave you with one red and one black lead.

Jun 28, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 14
9v battery snaps:

Mouser#123-7016

Dual 9v:

Mouser#524-227

The dual is suppose to be for pc mounting, but you probably can make it work.

3mm blue LED:

604-L934mbd
604-L934mbc

How about 4-9v in a series/parallel config.? More current reserve for transients?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back