Hooking up to a sound card?
Apr 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RumpleBillyBurp

New Head-Fier
I'm looking into getting some new speakers, but am curious as to how they will hook up to my soundcard (ASUS Xonar DX). The outputs are: Headphone / Front; Side Surround; Center / Subwoofer; Rear / Back Surround / SPDIF. How, for instance, would I hook up something like Rokit's with their RCA / TRS / XLR inputs? Or should I also be looking for something to replace my sound card?

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 4
Use the front out , you will need a cable with mini jack at one end and RCA's at the others. The sound cards best specs seem to be on the front jack, so you get the best sound with that setup.Looking at the Rokit's, they have a single RCA jack per speaker, each identical I'm assuming, so you might need a couple rca extensions cable if you are wanting to get them more than a couple feet apart.

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Will any of that effect the sound quality?

Soundcards normally have low enough output impedance that they can drive longer cables with no audible loss unlike most home stereo equipment which much of it has an output impedance of 1000 ohms. The soundcard will have generally less than 100ohms though some may come in right at that mark. Some of Asus's cards do that but can still drive moderately long cables with no difficulty. If you have a minijack splitter that allows you to plug in 2 minijack devices you will notice a large decrease in volume from your speakers if you have headphone plugged in as well on some Asus soundcards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back