Hooking up old Sony speakers to my computer.
Mar 20, 2014 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Muneem

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I have a pair of speakers from my old Sony MCH-RG20 system I no longer use. However I was thinking about somehow having them work with my computer, if that is possible.
The main discrepancies arise when I try to plug them into the computer. The cords from the speakers are two thin copper-ish colored wires which I don't think go into anything on my computer. I do have a soundcard, if that helps at all. The soundcard model I have is the Creative Audigy SB 2.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Your sound card won't be able to power the speakers directly. You need an amplifier.

You can just use the main unit of the RG20 for that. You need to get a cable that goes from an 1/8" TRS plug to a pair of RCA plugs. Plug the 1/8" plug into the line out of your sound card and the RCA plugs into the "GAME" input on the RG20. Connect the speakers to the RG20 as you had originally. When you want to listen to audio from your computer, just select "GAME" on the RG20.

se

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Your sound card won't be able to power the speakers directly. You need an amplifier.

You can just use the main unit of the RG20 for that. You need to get a cable that goes from an 1/8" TRS plug to a pair of RCA plugs. Plug the 1/8" plug into the line out of your sound card and the RCA plugs into the "GAME" input on the RG20. Connect the speakers to the RG20 as you had originally. When you want to listen to audio from your computer, just select "GAME" on the RG20.

se

Thanks a ton! I'll try this out as soon as I obtain the cable, and I'll update the OP with the results.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks a ton! I'll try this out as soon as I obtain the cable, and I'll update the OP with the results.

No problem. If there's any question about the cable you need, let me know. If you're in the US, I can grab you one from Radio Shack on my next trip to Starbucks (it's right next door) and just drop it in the mail to you.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back