hooking up a powered sub to active monitors
Mar 3, 2009 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

orthikon

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have BX5a's for my speakers. And I am looking for an affordable sub to match these. Reccomendations are welcomed.

edit: BX5a's have TRS, and SLR inputs, connected through my built in soundcard via mini jack to TRS

Is it safe to hook up the "speaker level out" from the subs to the input of my speakers?
Will I be over loading them?
Is this a line level signal?

The subs that I'm looking at are below:
http://www.velodyne.com/products/man...ish_web%20.pdf

http://www.audioadvisor.com/images/A...REAR-Large.jpg

And then regarding the Energy subs I noticed that they do not have a speaker level out? How do I hook up my speakers to these?

TIA

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 23
You cannot wire up high level to low level inputs, you'll blow your line level inputs inputs.

Just send the sub line out from your soundcard to the sub probably with a 3.5mm to stereo RCA, don't connect the RCA on the center speaker that's combined with the sub cable.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 23
I tried doing that and the only way there's sound coming out from the sub out is setting the audio output to 5.1.

I'm not sure how that affects the output on the front channel.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 23
There are subwoofers that has line level in and line level out where you connect your active speakers. Some even have crossover filter that filters out deepest bass away from your monitors and lets the sub do it, so your monitors can concentrate on upper bass and midrange.

Neither of those subs has that feature though.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 23
Yeah man. You and I are in the same boat. You need a pre-amp, digital or otherwise. Whether it is a receiver or an actual pre is up to you. Since I have an iMod and an x-fi, I kind of want an analogue Pre like the Parasound New Classic Model 2.

Please not that I am not buying anything new lol. Retail is for somebody else. I am budget-fi maaaaan.

Product Lines > New Classic > Model 2100 Preamplifier

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #8 of 23
I'd highly recommend the BX10s sub by M-Audio to go with your M-Audio Monitors. You'll just need an extra set of male to female XLRs.

As you can see in my sig, I'm running a BX10s with my BX8's. They pair very well. BTW, if you have a Guitar Center near you, you should be able to negotiate the price of the BX10s down to around $300.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by orthikon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: BX5a's have TRS, and SLR inputs

You can convert the TRS input to an unbalanced RCA using an adapter. Alpha 1 Omega linked to one. Radio Shack also carries the same style of 1/4" TS to RCA adapter. IIRC they should be near the $4 mark for a pair. That will give you unbalanced RCA connectors on the monitors which will give you more options for a choice of sub.

My suggestion would be to look at powered pro audio subs like the M-Audio BX10. Those subs have an onboard crossover that will send the right signal to your desktop monitors. Look around craigslist or local used market for a used pro audio style sub.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 23
I've been looking at BX10 subs actually but they are out of my budget. FYI I got my BX5a's for $50 quite a steal!!!

For the price of a brand new BX10 sub, I could get a B-Stock Blue Sky media desk (2.1 set up, monitors aren't bi-amped though), which can be expanded to 5.1 later on.

Any other budget subwoofer suggestions with line level output and crossover?

edit: right now my BX5a's are connected through my built in sound card's line out, yes i need a DAC. But I think the $100 is better spent on a sub at this point.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 23
Curious, are you getting any Hum in your speakers with the Mini to TRS?

Quote:

I currently have BX5a's for my speakers. And I am looking for an affordable sub to match these. Reccomendations are welcomed.

edit: BX5a's have TRS, and SLR inputs, connected through my built in soundcard via mini jack to TRS

Is it safe to hook up the "speaker level out" from the subs to the input of my speakers?
Will I be over loading them?
Is this a line level signal?

The subs that I'm looking at are below:
http://www.velodyne.com/products/man...ish_web%20.pdf

http://www.audioadvisor.com/images/A...REAR-Large.jpg

And then regarding the Energy subs I noticed that they do not have a speaker level out? How do I hook up my speakers to these?

TIA

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 23
If by hum you mean it sounds like an analog recording noise then yes under the following circumstances, note that I have not observed whether or not I have hum on other curcumstances:

Using built in soundcard, Realtek something... BX5a volume knob set to 3:00, master volume 50% wav volume 50%, if I lower the master volume to about 25% hum disappears.

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

If by hum you mean it sounds like an analog recording noise then yes under the following circumstances, note that I have not observed whether or not I have hum on other curcumstances:

Using built in soundcard, Realtek something... BX5a volume knob set to 3:00, master volume 50% wav volume 50%, if I lower the master volume to about 25% hum disappears.

Sounds like you are talking about hiss maybe. I'm talking about 60 cycle Hum, like sounds like it is coming from a Transformer.

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 23
neither of the subwoofers you suggest will work. you need a subwoofer with both low-level inputs AND outputs.

pc12_nsd_amp_500.jpg

that's a picture of the amp panel on a svs cylinder subwoofer, you can see what I mean by low level in & out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back