Hook your U10 to Linux
Nov 12, 2006 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gattler

New Head-Fier
First of all: This is not about installing some kind of Rockbox or Linux to a U10 player. For what i know, it is impossible. This guide is how to connect your U10 to Linux installed on a regular Computer.

So, i am pleased to announce that my U10 1GB is working happiliy with my Gentoo Linux Box. I did these steps:

After you converted your U10 to the UMS filesystem (with Windows or Linux) you connect it to Linux with:

Code:

Code:
[left]mkdir /mnt/u10 mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/u10[/left]

Now we need some music, in my case a rip-protected stream from www.samurai.fm.
Since this is a OGG Capable Device i directly piped the stream into a Quality-7 Ogg file

Code:

Code:
[left]arecord -f cd -t raw -D hw:0,0 -d 7200 | oggenc - -r -q7 -o stream.ogg[/left]

Legend:

arecord
-f Quality
-t Filetype
-D Device
-d Duration in sec

ogg
-r Input is rawdata (default 16Bit 44Khz)
-q Qualitywise encoding (1-10)
-o Outputfile

The utility arecord should come with your ALSA Package. The hardest part was figuring out how to capture the internal soundcard sound. By default the build-in mic on my Thinkpad was capturing the sound. With the recorded file I only heard myself hitting the keys, but not the desired music. To fix this you have to open a terminal and start the program Code:

Code:
[left]alsamixer[/left]

and then press F4 to select your internal capture device, which in my case was "mix".

After creating a couple of ogg files i opened /mnt/U10 with my Rox Filer and copied the files over. I had to do this as root, i guess
this is due to my linux' rights setting with USB devices.

Soundquality: with the u10 EQ at "UBass", the oggs are really sounding smooth. More enjoyable than mp3s and less size!
etysmile.gif

attachment.php

[size=xx-small] The U10 Folder Structure in Linux[/size]

Since the only boundaries in Linux is your own imagination i even tried to directly encode the stream to the connected U10 - and it worked! Take that Windows Media !

You might also look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iriver_U10
http://pmplib.sourceforge.net/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back