Hook up wire for AC power - what size?
May 20, 2007 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

daggerlee

500+ Head-Fier
So I need some wire to hook up my IEC inlet to my power supply (110V). Is there any general rules I should follow about what size wire to use? I have some 24awg solid core copper I was hoping to use. The power supply will draw around 100 mA. Should I use thicker wire?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I wasn't quite sure what to search for.

May 20, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 11
Ideally I would use thicker wire for the mechanical aspects (typical durability), for example 20awg/300V but based on only gauge alone it isn't necessary per se. 24awg can easily handle 100mA, but typically you would seek wire rated for the voltage (which this may or may not be?) as it tends to mean suitable insulation, and ideally for mains power it should be durable, like abrasion resistant and if subject to frequent flexure (even if while fiddling with the amp over time) then a multistranded type.

Above all make sure it's fixed in place well. I don't like to rely only on solder joints, at the very least would have heatshrink tubing over the ends if not another addt'l method of securing it in place like wire-ties or epoxy (depends on situation).

May 20, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 11
Not really knowing the answer to the same question, I simply bought some appropriately rated electrical cable (240v mains cable in Australia) and used the wire from inside it.

May 20, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 11
It's CAT5 cable so I'm sure the voltage is not very highly rated
smily_headphones1.gif
Nevertheless I will try to see if I can get away with it...

It's for hooking up the IEC inlet to the power supply board...I'll be using a regular old black IEC power cord to connect the power supply to the actual socket.

May 20, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 11
CAT5 is really not the best choice, is low voltage wiring with easily nicked, thin insulation. You could improve the insulation by putting heatshrink tubing over it, but why, when any hardware store will sell a foot of more appropriate wire for under a dollar?

May 20, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 11
When dealing with the AC supply, you run quite a high risk of danger with inappropriate wiring. It's better to be safe with some overkill here. You can find 16 gauge stranded hookup wire at any Radio Shack or get a foot of extension cord wire from any hardware store/home improvement center.

May 20, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 11
It has been said before but the risk outweighs the benefits when you can buy something safer, not to mention better, for not much money.

May 23, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 11
what about 18 ga stranded Auric hookup wire for 120v ac power? On the other side of the toroid I'll be pulling near 1A. I'm assuming this will be okay, as this wore appears to be beefier than the wires on my Plitron toroids
wink.gif

May 24, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 11
I would vouch for 18awg, like mono said it easily handles the current you're most likely going to need and it just "feels" right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back