Hook up what to the where now?
Dec 12, 2006 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Krug995

New Head-Fier
My AV710 and Entech number cruncher 203.2 should be here tomorrow, and I want to be prepared for them by knowing exactly how to hook them up. All I want to know is the physical wiring of the stuff--yes, I know, I'm an idiot, but I want to make sure I get this right.

Currently I have no headphone amp. What I do have, however, is an old Harmon/Kardon 430 twin receiver I got from my dad. So I connect up the AV710, hook up the optical cable to the Entech. Then I'm guessing I use RCA to hook them up to what exact port of the receiver? There's a tape monitor, aux, and phono. After that, where do I connect my phones? There is a headphone out, but it's very hissy--is there any way around this? Will using the receiver nullify the benefits of the DAC?

I know I probably could figure this out with a few minutes trial/error, but I wanted to make sure I'm doing this right and not making any stupid mistakes. Any and all help would be appreciated. I realize I need to get a headphone amp ASAP, but I still want to try and use my shiny new DAC until then.

Thanks.

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krug995 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I'm guessing I use RCA to hook them up to what exact port of the receiver? There's a tape monitor, aux, and phono.

Tape Monitor sounds like an output and Phono probably expects a low-level turntable signal, so I'd go with Aux if it's the only available input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krug995
After that, where do I connect my phones? There is a headphone out, but it's very hissy--is there any way around this? Will using the receiver nullify the benefits of the DAC?

If there's only one headphone jack in your whole setup, that's the one you must use. The only solution is to buy a new receiver or headphone amplifier. The DAC will probably make an improvement even if the headphone output on the receiver isn't great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back