Hoo-rah! They came!
Mar 8, 2006 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

zancxia

100+ Head-Fier
Just thought I'd post a little note to say that my DT880s have finally arrived from Jan! No big deal, but I just thought I'd post it since I've been making a big fuss about how long they have been taking to get here.

I do have one question though: was the headband meant to be bent like Grados? I notice that the sound is much fuller when pressed against my head. I think bending them might give them more clamping. Also: Will the pads on the headphones break in? ...... I'm just trying to get closer to the drivers here...

First impression: My old receiver is crap. I have to get another amp. The headphones sound wonderful. The bass is a lot better than I was expecting. I don't notice any real brightness... of course, I've had a pair of SR80s and I didn't mind their treble either. Driving them is certainly a challenge, but my laptop drives them much better than I was thinking it would (volume-wise anyway).

OH: And they feel and look great.... mmmm metal.

Now I just need to find an inexpensive, good sounding headphone amplifier. I have been considering (practically hoping) that I could find a good vintage receiver in good condition that would be good for the job.

I wish I could listen to these headphones more, but I have been preparing for a rush of coop interviews that I'm doing on campus this week. Between that and the weight of the headphones directly on the crown of my head, I've been getting a bit of a headache.
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 15
The pads will compress over time. I remeber see in new vs old pad picture and there was at least half an inch difference in size. And I wouldn't worry about bending the headband. That this is robust and you could always bend it back, just make sure you don't give yourself a headache. Congrats on the 880's, they're one of my favorite cans.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 15
Congrads on finally recieving the headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zancxia
Now I just need to find an inexpensive, good sounding headphone amplifier. I have been considering (practically hoping) that I could find a good vintage receiver in good condition that would be good for the job.

with econo-shipping again?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 15
Congrats on the Beyers. They are on my short list to own.

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 15
If you think they sound good now, with a solid source & amp you will be blown away! Congrats on the purchase. These have to be the best bang for the buck cans out there at the moment.

Todd

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks guys!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd S
If you think they sound good now, with a solid source & amp you will be blown away! Congrats on the purchase. These have to be the best bang for the buck cans out there at the moment.

Todd

No argument there.... just need to shop around for that amp.
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by zancxia
First impression: My old receiver is crap. I have to get another amp.

Don't you just love this place?

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Don't you just love this place?

Hahah... I assumed the receiver wasn't going to work out before I got the Beyers. They don't seem to add anything to the music, and more importantly, there is a huge amount of hissing in the amp. When it is brought up to a more enjoyable volume, the amount of additional noise driven into the headphones makes them worthless for this application. I don't think cleaning the components would fix this problem either... of course, I wouldn't know how to do that part of it anyway.
rolleyes.gif

The receiver was given to me for free. I just wanted to see if it could be suitable for my new 'phones. Unfortunately it is not.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Congrats on the purchase, are they the new or the old version? The new ones look pretty sweet, not as utilitarian although the old ones looked nice too.

Old version. Just from pictures, I preferred the old one. I think they look better in person... so I don't think my opinion has changed at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Congrats!!

I love my 880.

Good luck with the amp hunt.

icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 15
I'm happy with the combo of DT880 and Pimeta with 3x OPA 627 opamps. The 627s have a sort of tubey sound that helps tame the top end, really they're the perfect opamp for this headphone IMO. Didn't like them with Sennheisers, but they're great with DT880s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back