honolulu (oahu) mini-meet impressions 1/02
Jan 11, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by justhavingfun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey ichiro, didn't you had Headamp AE1/Portaphile V2^2 portable amp before? If you did or had a chance to hear one, how do they compare to your Tomahawk?

I did own a ae-1 and a portaphile v2 maxed at one time but it's been quite a while. Since it's been so long I really can't make an accurate comparison between those two amps and the tomahawk. Of all the portable amps I've owned I've been most satisfied with the hornet and tomahawk.

Jan 14, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #17 of 20
I have been listening to MisterX XP amp/Alien DAC combo for several hours now. All I remember from our meet about MisterX PINT amp brought by ichiro was that it was "fun" to listen to. And NOW that fun factor is back to me with this XP/Alien combo; so much so that I think I can tame my portable upgraditis to RSA Tomahawk/Hornet. What a bargain this combo is. Many said this is poor man's microstack but it can hold on its own against mighty HR Microstack. They have very different sound signature to my ears. HR Microstack has lots of features and XP/Alien has no feature just basic amp. When I try to compare these two amp combo, something came to my mind. To me it was like comparing good German beer and good American beer. Both beers can be enjoyed by many people but just different flavor for different occasion. Microamp feels like thick German smooth flavor vs. XP amp for clean refreshing American beer flavor. I am having a blast listening to different amps and that's why I love this hobby. After few more weeks of listening to XP/Alien, I will follow-up with my impression against Microstack.
etysmile.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by justhavingfun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been listening to MisterX XP amp/Alien DAC combo for several hours now. All I remember from our meet about MisterX PINT amp brought by ichiro was that it was "fun" to listen to. And NOW that fun factor is back to me with this XP/Alien combo; so much so that I think I can tame my portable upgraditis to RSA Tomahawk/Hornet. What a bargain this combo is. Many said this is poor man's microstack but it can hold on its own against mighty HR Microstack. They have very different sound signature to my ears. HR Microstack has lots of features and XP/Alien has no feature just basic amp. When I try to compare these two amp combo, something came to my mind. To me it was like comparing good German beer and good American beer. Both beers can be enjoyed by many people but just different flavor for different occasion. Microamp feels like thick German smooth flavor vs. XP amp for clean refreshing American beer flavor. I am having a blast listening to different amps and that's why I love this hobby. After few more weeks of listening to XP/Alien, I will follow-up with my impression against Microstack.
etysmile.gif

hey terry, glad you're enjoying the "poor man's microstack"...good thing you got it when you did b/c marshall's not making alien DACs anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

hey guys, i'll be back home for a week the second week of feb. if you want to get together for a quick and easy meet, i'm up for it...i'd like you guys to listen to my recabled k81dj (won't forget it this time) and i'm hoping to have my EarPeace custom IEM by then...so selfishly i just want to listen to ichiro's tomahawk
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey terry, glad you're enjoying the "poor man's microstack"...good thing you got it when you did b/c marshall's not making alien DACs anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

hey guys, i'll be back home for a week the second week of feb. if you want to get together for a quick and easy meet, i'm up for it...i'd like you guys to listen to my recabled k81dj (won't forget it this time) and i'm hoping to have my EarPeace custom IEM by then...so selfishly i just want to listen to ichiro's tomahawk
wink.gif

I'll be around and I'm sure we can arrange to meet for you to listen to the tomahawk. By then it should be fully burned in. PM when you are going to be available.

Jan 19, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #20 of 20
cool.gif
It will be another great opportunity for me to listen to more gears. And I will be able to revisit AKG81DJ (both stock and recabled). And I will have few more things added since our last meet. I have to give another listen to ichiro's Tomahawk also. Even if just three of us, should have enough to be entertain for few hours. Let me know when you are coming to Hawaii and we can set the date again.
600smile.gif

Oh, I am glad that I got Alien DAC from MisterX when I did. I didn't know he is not making anymore Alien DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back