Honolulu Headfi meet - What a blast!
Dec 16, 2001 at 7:21 PM Post #16 of 22
I am regretfull that I could not bring the Melos to compare to the other amps that were there. I can easily say that the RKV did not impress me when driving the HD600's... Although when driving some of the other phones like Grados and the R10's the RKV sounded very nice. The character the HD600's took on changed drastically from what I was used to with the Melos . I think the Melos is definately better than the Earmax Pro as well even when driving the HD600's. I thought the Earmax Pro sounded very similar to the XcanV2 except the Xcan was more liquidy(too much) in the midrange and lacked the bass impact of the Earmax Pro. Most important is that those of you who discount the HD600's as veiled etc really need to hear them out of the Melos. They take on a new life that approaches the R10's IMO. The sound isn't as natural but it's close.

I wasn't impressed with the RS-1's, they sounded distorted in the upper midrange, particularly with vocals. It wasn't a noisy distortion it was the coloration that I have heard many people refer too. I didn't find it pleasant. The K501's and the little ole' Koss KSC 35's were the biggest suprises. The K501's really are nice headphones and I would consider them just a notch below the HD600's overall. And the KSC 35's, well they sound as many have said MUCH better than they have any right to sound at that price!

And I prefered the cd playback of the AH NJOE TJOEB to that on the Sony, of course I left before they hooked up the RKV to the Sony. I think a tubed cd-player is in my future.

Thanks to everyone nice meetin gyou all

Dec 16, 2001 at 7:59 PM Post #17 of 22
"Audiophile CDs:
I brought a few DCC and MFSL titles. Any comments? "
Thumbs up for the audiophile discs. The remastered Traffic cd was especially impressive. They are not up to SACD quality though; all the detail is there but they don't have the airy quality of SACD's. Some of the responsibility could rest with the 333 which is certainly not the last word on regular cd playback. In conclusion I can't help wondering why the hell don't more labels adopt the new formats? Even the best cd's still fall noticably short of SACD.

Dec 17, 2001 at 6:01 AM Post #18 of 22
Hey, one more vote for the Ah!. While I'm in no postion to come to any solid conclusions, I thought the 333 had some impressive qualities. The best term I can come up with is reserved, and I mean that in a positive sense. The Ah! is more on the musical side, that's for sure. The stock tubes are generally thought to be pretty lame, so it should be interesting when my Siemans finally arrive.

I can now say that I am very, very interested in the HP-1. I just didn't have enough time with it
wink.gif
wink.gif
. Yes, I want one. Yes, I will have one.

On the other hand, scratch the ER4. The white tips were uncomfortable and I think the ER6 has a more balanced sound. I used the ER6 for 90 min. straight without a problem. What the ER4 has is much better isolation. I hope Etymotic can remedy that situation.

One thing I'm very pleased with is that I now have a good experience base to make the decisions needed to purchase everyting I want for my headphone setup. No more chasing a chimera, however fun that might have been. Well, actually my next project is a tube based Speaker system...(sigh).

Dec 20, 2001 at 9:10 AM Post #19 of 22
Seems like you guys had a great time! I wish I could have been there! At least I live in Hawaii!
evil_smiley.gif

And double bummer: it seems as though the Grado SR225's were unrepresented! I would have loved to have listened to and compared all the other headphones.

Oh well. I'm sure I will be around for the next one. Thanks for throwing the shindig, jeremymayf!

My place next time!

Walt

Dec 20, 2001 at 10:41 PM Post #20 of 22
"I wasn't impressed with the RS-1's, they sounded distorted in the upper midrange, particularly with vocals. It wasn't a noisy distortion it was the coloration that I have heard many people refer too. I didn't find it pleasant. "

no commento

Dec 21, 2001 at 12:48 AM Post #22 of 22
Well there is a reason I kept the 325s and not the Music Series Pros...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back