Hong Kong
Apr 17, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by SFz
lol....but most of the times I will buy in a large retail store, one of my aunt have discount in one of them...
icon10.gif
(no bargin there)

BTW if you want to pay a bit more for a good player, get the JNC SSf-M3 (20 Gb), even in the large retail stores it is only about 1900 Hk, which is about 300 Canadian dollars (well, paying 100 more is kinda a lot). Still, that is a really good player. (It is the same as iAudio M3 right? People can still download the firmware from iAudio even if the have the JNC version one?)

afaik, JNC sells re-badged mp3 player. A few years ago, it was selling iRiver under JNC brand

Apr 17, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #17 of 34
I'll suggest buy from large reatil stores unless you want your aunt get cheated.

If you are sure your aunt is very knowledgable, then go Sham Shui Poo or Ap Liu Street.
Mong Kok has some nice shops too

Apr 18, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirl
Do you guys think an iPod would be cheaper in HK?

Ipod 20Gig:

HK Apple Online Store: = $2400.00 HK = $383.88 Canadian

Canada Apple Online Store: $379 Canadian = $2,369.33 HK

Not much difference which is surprising. Compare that to the prices the Europeans are paying for iPods, HK and Canada are a steal.

Apr 18, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #19 of 34
Hmmmm
I've never been to HK so I was under the impression everything was A LOT cheaper...guess not.
eggosmile.gif

Well, it's all good.
I might just go for the Karma or the Zen Touch, they're not too much over budget and i have family in the US too that can pick it up for much cheaper than here. Canadian prices really suck as far as DAPs go.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Apr 18, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirl
Hmmmm
I've never been to HK so I was under the impression everything was A LOT cheaper...guess not.
eggosmile.gif

Hong Kong has many newer and cooler electronics than N.America. What we consider "new", is at least 6 months old in Hong Kong (in most cases).

Apr 18, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by manixc
iPod won't be cheaper in Hong Kong, it's around the same price in the US/Canada. The most you will save is the tax. With $200CAD, you won't be able to buy most of the new HD players on the market. A flash player is most likely.

The price of an iPod in Hong Kong is almost identical to North America. Though you might save some tax, the return policies of Hong Kong retailers are much stricter than those in North America. They wouldn't even let my friend exchange the iSkin he bought because he didn't like the color. I bought a Muvo2 FM and the saleman told me I only had 7 days to exchange it.

People in Hong Kong like their mp3 players small, so they can wear it around their necks or put it on their keychains. Therefore, hard drive based players are not that popular while flash players are.

If you're looking for electronics, I think the best things to buy in Hong Kong are cell phones. They have so many new models there and lots of stuff that we won't see in North America for at least six months to one year.

The Mong Kok computer center and cell phone center are good places to look for electronics. Large stores like Fortress are also good.

cool.gif

May 9, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by SFz

BTW if you want to pay a bit more for a good player, get the JNC SSf-M3 (20 Gb), even in the large retail stores it is only about 1900 Hk

Just wondering where you saw this price. So far I've only checked online and the prices have been a bit ridiculous.

May 10, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by camaronkazi
Just wondering where you saw this price. So far I've only checked online and the prices have been a bit ridiculous.

Fortress. One 2 biggest electronic chain shop/store. The one in Wampooa (sp?) is not bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
People in Hong Kong like their mp3 players small, so they can wear it around their necks or put it on their keychains. Therefore, hard drive based players are not that popular while flash players are.

True, totally true....with a exception. People who are rather quite affected by American culture might buy an iPod. Why? In my SAT class, more students have iPod then the other kinds of mp3 player. That goes the same for my international school, iPod is still a majority of mp3 players people own in school.

May 10, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #26 of 34
You may try Broadway too, sometimes the sales will offer slight discount when paid by cash.

Reminder: Not all sales can speak English fluently. Some tends to slip away when they notice you don't speak Chinese, while some will stick with you and sell the products in aggressive mannar. From my experience, those English-speaking sales often senior one or experience, you have to use some tricks in order to get the best deal.

May 10, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by SFz
Fortress. One 2 biggest electronic chain shop/store. The one in Wampooa (sp?) is not bad.

True, totally true....with a exception. People who are rather quite affected by American culture might buy an iPod. Why? In my SAT class, more students have iPod then the other kinds of mp3 player. That goes the same for my international school, iPod is still a majority of mp3 players people own in school.

I was talking to a salesman and he told me a lot of customers even thought that the small microdrive players (i.e. Muvo2, iPod Mini) were too big and that they wanted something small and light (aka 256-512MB flash players). I guess the new large capacity mp3 phones from Sony Ericsson and Nokia should do well in HK.

My friend bought a 4th Gen iPod and there was absolutely no price difference from North America. I guess iPods are the same price wherever you go.

blink.gif

May 10, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #28 of 34
I had a look around the stores tonight. That price seems valid everywhere. It surprised me because previously I was looking at iRiver and Zen micro of a similiar price. I didn't expect to find a 20G player in that range. It seems like a good player with quite a few useful features. Ended up with a HI-MD player instead.

May 13, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #29 of 34
is md popular in asia, hong kong anymore? i'm interested in a few DAPs, and i have roughly a week to decide and to tell my friend to get something from hong kong. i'm mainly interested in the sony nh1, if it is availble for $2-300, and does anyone know if the zen micro is cheaper there, or even the H320 or M3, as i'm getting kind of desperate with my 1x record md.

May 13, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #30 of 34
In my option, the Md doesn't seem so popular in HK ne more (I don't even know when they were popular) Both H320 and iPod 20Gb is about the same price as US (a very little bit expensiver if in detail) Zen microin HK is more expensive then US prices (230 US compared to 200 US)

Lastly, there is no M3 in HK, it is because iAudio sold the M3 through JNC in HK... calling it SSF-M3. It sells around 228-240 USD in HK (I think it is 228 USD), found it in Fortress. So this sells cheaper then the US ones, but then it has a JNc logo on it......

PS: all those prices are rather recommanded prices rather then street prices (except for JNC), it might be cheaper, but the gap shouldn't be much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back