Hong Kong members - Dealer recommendations
Jan 15, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Vault
I've recently moved to Hong Kong and loving it! With so many MP3 player choices I'm going a bit crazy... but I would like to get some local members recommendations on any reputable dealers/stores where I can order or purchase headphones and Hi-Fi equipment.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

There is two product I suggest u to buy in HK.
1) ASL MG Head amp, it sold cheaper in HK. For example, ASL MG HEAd OTL is $1900 HKD, OTL mk2 around $2400HKD.
2) STAX System sold much cheaper in HK, e.g. STAX SRS-4040 Signature System II is around $9200HKD (under $1200USD)sometime with 10% off. I have seen this system in headphone.com sold for $2000USD.
If u buy from zero in headphone system, I recommend u to buy STAX system.
One USD around = 7.76HKD.
600smile.gif

Jan 15, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #17 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by joeyliao
definitely check out lojay's links. esp the chinese map. they show the best places to go for toys.

I would add more info based on my own experience, if you don't mind.
tongue.gif

Quote:

there are a many of stores in the yau shing plaza just outside exit E2 - bank centre exit of mong kok, mtr. i think the one on the 7th floor carries some headphones.

Check shops on the 16th & 10th floor too, they have lotsa Senns, ATs, also AKGs, lower models of Sony, Panasonic, I saw Shure as well.
Quote:

there is an undergroung mall, i think its prosperity plaza. nelson st and tung choi street. the entrance is on nelson street next i believe.

I think it's called Tat Fat basement shopping mall. The entrance is rather small with steep stairs, there're some posters of Maratz on the side wall of the entrance.
Quote:

the first hi fi shop you see past the hair salon is on the right. it has tons of headphones, but the guy who runs the shop is a bit of a jerk. i saw alot of stuff, but didnt get to write down any of the models of what was there because he didnt want me to write down models and prices - so i left.

That shop has Senns, Sonys, Panasonic, ATs, and is expensive
frown.gif
, I saw MX-500 for HKD260 there, while in Yau Shing Plaza (10th & 16th floor) they have them for HKD180....

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
Check shops on the 16th & 10th floor too, they have lotsa Senns, ATs, also AKGs, lower models of Sony, Panasonic, I saw Shure as well.

I think it's called Tat Fat basement shopping mall. The entrance is rather small with steep stairs, there're some posters of Maratz on the side wall of the entrance.

Thanks Permonic,
I'm looking for a pair of ATH-A900's at the moment. Haven't seen any of those in your travels?

Jan 16, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #19 of 59
here is a link to a tube audio site in HK.

http://www.hktubeaudio.homestead.com/index2.html

if you go to link at the bottom, tube shops in HK, there are maps to a few areas. the mong kok building is where i saw some headphones (obviously not in the tube shops)

the Apliu st map shows some tube shops in a DIY heaven. the whole street has interesting toys. some of the hi-fi diy stores have headphones as well (try around 251 apliu st).

I think true sound co mentioned by lojay is at 102 des veoux road central.

vault, let me know if you find the ATH A900's..

Jan 16, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #20 of 59
Vault

If you are looking for AT-A900, try Tat Fat basement mall. There is one shop selling Digital cameras, headphones, just at the RHS after you get downstairs.

I just went there and found they got your AT-A900, w100, w1000 and lot more new AT phones(in-ear models as well as others). You will also find Sony's CD3000.

Hope you enjoy your exploration there.

Jan 16, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Quote:

there are a many of stores in the yau shing plaza just outside exit E2 - bank centre exit of mong kok, mtr. i think the one on the 7th floor carries some headphones

Erm that Yau Sing Plaza watsoever? I wouldnt recommend there for buying headphones, first theyre expensive (only the AKGs are priced normal) and most importantly, that kinda place ISNT for buying headphones, they mostly sell (plasma) TV's, general AV equipment and some speakers, all of these cramped in a thousand sq feet or so. So u will expect it to be VERY NOISY and CROWDED, where auditioning or trying headphones would be impossible. I've auditioned an AKG once, I believe it was an AKG K500 or 300....coz i asked for a K501 but he gave me this wierd AKG that didnt really resemble a 501....watever....he literally gave me a bad look when i asked to try them (are u kidding? u want me to take off the packaging so u could hear 'em? no way....!.....kinda look). and it was just waaaayyyyy to loud for auditioning them, i had to stand in between rows of mini-fi's and speakers blasting in high volume......So I just spent 3 minutes on the AKG's, which I had clearly tried hard to listen already. U wont find high-end headphones there often, tho they will help u make orders....maybe contact u when they find them. So u see how horrible some places in HK are for auditioning headphones, i guess perhaps they expect u to BUY them without even trying them? What. I really wish there are some places like in headroom's hq in US where theyve got tons of phones and amps for u to audition with without any time limit, and esp without the bad looks those salesppl give ya. Asia's Hell City indeed. (This is the case for headphones only i guess, as for speakers and CDPs, HK is GREAT
wink.gif
)

True Sound Co can be found in Causeway Bay (near St. Paul's Convent College,
rolleyes.gif
walk from the College towards Causeway Bay til u see a hotel, follow the two-way road and turn left....then ummm....ask ppl where the "Hifi shop" is. The other shop can be found in Central near Central Centre........ask ppl again!.
If you want to buy some high end stuff, check it online too. Sometimes it'll be cheaper online even with shipping, wometimes, eg. the stax's and tubies will be much cheaper here.

Jan 16, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #22 of 59
For the A900, its in the right hand side right after u come down the stairs, and next to (or on the other side? forgot) the barber shop, just where dnic stated. note that its quite a small shop around a dozen sq feet so its easy to miss. Try the grados pal, they've got sr80s for u to audition, plus the shop owner's quite nice.

Ummm....btw, can i find the MG Head in Tak Fat's Basement too?

Jan 17, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #23 of 59
Worth pointing out: stores in HK prefer cash. If you pay by credit card, expect a 5% surcharge (and I don't think any would take travellers' check). The exceptions are maybe the large, chain-store consumer-electronics enterprises that practically line Sai Yeung Choi Street -- but then they've already surcharged you with their mark-ups.

Unless you can manage to get a local Chinese guy with you, I don't recommend the consumer-electronic stores in Yau Shing Plaza.

Jan 17, 2004 at 8:23 AM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by lojay
....he literally gave me a bad look when i asked to try them (are u kidding? u want me to take off the packaging so u could hear 'em? no way....!.....kinda look). and it was just waaaayyyyy to loud for auditioning them, i had to stand in between rows of mini-fi's and speakers blasting in high volume......So I just spent 3 minutes on the AKG's, which I had clearly tried hard to listen already. U wont find high-end headphones there often, tho they will help u make orders....maybe contact u when they find them. So u see how horrible some places in HK are for auditioning headphones, i guess perhaps they expect u to BUY them without even trying them? What. I really wish there are some places like in headroom's hq in US where theyve got tons of phones and amps for u to audition with without any time limit, and esp without the bad looks those salesppl give ya. Asia's Hell City indeed. (This is the case for headphones only i guess, as for speakers and CDPs, HK is GREAT
wink.gif
)

I agree. The situation is, however, similar in many shops selling headphones. There's no demand for auditioning headphones from the normal customers: they only care the visual aspects of cans (color, how "sexy" is the design, etc.). I am pretty sure these small shops have have only 1-2 pieces of each type of high-end phones. That's why they usually refuse to open the package.
mad.gif

Suggestion: all Head-fiers from HK should visit those shops everyday (at least 1 person, 1 day) and require auditioning (later purchase might follow), I bet the shops will soon make a space for headphones auditioning....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Till then, there're Head-Fi meetings and also, feel free to contact me if you would like to audition my headphones (though I don't have lotsa...).
Quote:

True Sound Co can be found in Causeway Bay (near St. Paul's Convent College,
rolleyes.gif
walk from the College towards Causeway Bay til u see a hotel, follow the two-way road and turn left....then ummm....ask ppl where the "Hifi shop" is. The other shop can be found in Central near Central Centre........ask ppl again!.
If you want to buy some high end stuff, check it online too. Sometimes it'll be cheaper online even with shipping, wometimes, eg. the stax's and tubies will be much cheaper here.

Lojay, thanks for the description, I hope I will find the shops.
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Dnic
Vault

If you are looking for AT-A900, try Tat Fat basement mall. There is one shop selling Digital cameras, headphones, just at the RHS after you get downstairs.

I just went there and found they got your AT-A900, w100, w1000 and lot more new AT phones(in-ear models as well as others). You will also find Sony's CD3000.

Hope you enjoy your exploration there.

Thanks Dnic,
Going to be heading down that direction after the madness of Chinese New Year dies down! I'll do a full run-down and see if I can get some prices on half of the AT's and Grado's for the board. Hopefully the prices wont be jacked up too much.

Jan 19, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by FalconP
Worth pointing out: stores in HK prefer cash. If you pay by credit card, expect a 5% surcharge (and I don't think any would take travellers' check).

As a US citizen, I've had no trouble using traveller's checks (or even US dollars) for LARGE purchases (over US$1500) in Hong Kong. For foreigners however, in any case, buying by credit card is often inconvenient. First, as you point out, the stores want cash. Second, there is that pesky credit card receipt to be discovered by customs. Third, most US credit cards now charge a 3% surcharge on non-US dollar transactions.

Jan 21, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #27 of 59
Another question to all you experienced headphone shoppers in HK. My birthday is coming up soon and I'm considering some canalphones. So having a relative in HK I was wondering if there are any Ety ER4P/S or Shure E3 somewhere in HK and how much would they cost?

Jan 22, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #28 of 59
I think the thing that makes Hong Kong shopping so much fun (and so unique) is that (a) it has lots of stuff from China; (b) it has lots of stuff from Japan (including supposedly "Japan-only" products); and (c) it allows (and even encourages) parallel imports.

Jan 25, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #29 of 59
I just got back from my HK trip. It was a great time and a wonderful city (compared to Chiayi). I left how I arrived though, broke and empty handed.
Maybe next time I'll buy something.

BTW If any Kongers come to Taiwan let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back