Honestly need help - Practical Devices XM6 vs FiiO E11
Sep 1, 2011 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gamersince1976

Head-Fier
Hi there.

I've been steadily upgrading my portable setup since I started here, and I've recently come to a very happy point where everything is sounding really good.

Right now I'm running a Whiplash Audio modded iPod classic (5.5, with the Wolfson chip), using a Whiplash TWAg LOD which goes to the FiiO E11 amp, which I plug my Terminator Darth Beyers.

And the whole thing sounds really good! But the thing is, when I got the Darth Beyers it was a huge jump in sound quality over my previous headphones - ATH M50 and then modified Grado 225i. And again, when I switched from a Rockboxed Sansa Clip + to the modded iPod classic it was a very noticeable jump in quality.

So now I'm wondering about the FiiO E11. I know that it's a good amp that tends to "punch above it's weight" in terms of being a great value for the money. My question is, is the Practical Devices XM6 a better amplifier? I'm assuming it would have to be, but can anyone with more knowledge than me chime in?

Ideally I'd like to hear from anyone who's heard them both if possible. And I'm not completely against another amplifier, but I really want something with at least as much power as the FiiO E11 (the Darth Beyers aren't exactly easy to drive), preferably with a easily rechargeable battery and some sort of bass boost option.

Tl;dr version -

Is the Practical Devices XM6 a better amp, regardless of cost, than the FiiO E11?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 12
{crickets}

Is there anyone who can help?

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 12
Yes, the XM6 is a much better amp than E11, if for no other reason than the ease with which you can replace/upgrade the opamp and buffers. the 75ohm function and treble switch are nice gimmicks that E11 doesn't have either.

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 12
I haven't heard the XM6, and know nothing about it, but I was greatly disappointed with the E11.   For the price it's ok, but the sound quality was quite disappointing. this is speaking as a FiiO fan who found that the E7, E9, etc. were all great values that sounded exceptional and had great utility for the price you paid.

The E11 is very cheap, just a smidgen above the E5 and E6 I often think, but the SQ was very disappointing. Huge suckout in the mids, I'm a basshead and I like lots of bass, but these didn't quite get it right. There's a ton of bass, yes, very weighty, impactful but also very muddy and sloppy. Mids are a huge gaping hole and the treble is so-so. There's something wrong with an amp's mids when a bass head like me who likes V-curve responses actually complains about the mids.

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 12
Thank you - both - for weighing in, I really do appreciate it.

The more I look at portable amps, the more it's becoming clear that I may need to go with the RSA SR-71A. Initially I was scared away by the price tag, and later the 9v battery thing made me dismiss it - but it really is sounding like the best option for the sound I'm looking for.

Sigh.

Looks like I'm kissing disposable income goodbye again for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 12
What has been your experience with your ATH-M50? How does it respond to your different amps?

Currently using iPhone 4 headphone out. Contemplating a portable amp and LOD.

I think you probably reached the correct conclusion for what you are looking for. If not you may want to look into the Lackerton UHA-4, Audinst AMP-HP or even JDS Labs soon to be realeased amp. I will keeping my eyes on those as a possible amp for my ATH-M50.

Daniel

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 12
The ATH M-50 was fine for what it does. And it's still in use as my go to "watching something on youtube" choice. It does respond well to amping from both the FiiO E7 and, much more so, the E11.

As for the current amp choice, I pulled the trigger on the RSA SR-71A today after a quick e-mail to Ray. At this point I think it's the right choice for my needs.

Thanks again!

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 12
The highend portable AMPs like iBasso PB2(highely recommended) are very powerfull and sound amazing (can drive many fullsize headphones with ease). The XM6 sound better and louder (with full one watt output) than E11 with lots of extra features include DAC section (the other AMPs like ALO MKII, Stepdance, SR71a are recommended).

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 12
When there is a portable amp (SR-71B) that CAN drive the HE-6, you know it's the best portable amp.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 12
RSA amps are quite expensive, personally I think they are too expensive for what they do, but they do sound really fine. I believe you'll be very happy with the Sr71a. I have not heard this particular RSA, only heard the Hornet and the Mustang, but I think the reputation that the RSA amps have garnered is mostly valid and I did think the two RSA amps I listened to were quite capable.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 12
Hi there.

I've been steadily upgrading my portable setup since I started here, and I've recently come to a very happy point where everything is sounding really good.

Right now I'm running a Whiplash Audio modded iPod classic (5.5, with the Wolfson chip), using a Whiplash TWAg LOD which goes to the FiiO E11 amp, which I plug my Terminator Darth Beyers.

And the whole thing sounds really good! But the thing is, when I got the Darth Beyers it was a huge jump in sound quality over my previous headphones - ATH M50 and then modified Grado 225i. And again, when I switched from a Rockboxed Sansa Clip + to the modded iPod classic it was a very noticeable jump in quality.

So now I'm wondering about the FiiO E11. I know that it's a good amp that tends to "punch above it's weight" in terms of being a great value for the money. My question is, is the Practical Devices XM6 a better amplifier? I'm assuming it would have to be, but can anyone with more knowledge than me chime in?

Ideally I'd like to hear from anyone who's heard them both if possible. And I'm not completely against another amplifier, but I really want something with at least as much power as the FiiO E11 (the Darth Beyers aren't exactly easy to drive), preferably with a easily rechargeable battery and some sort of bass boost option.

Tl;dr version -

Is the Practical Devices XM6 a better amp, regardless of cost, than the FiiO E11?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back