Honestly, does the SE530's need it?
Apr 16, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

VoLTaG3

Banned
We all know the Shure SE530's are very efficient earphones and any DAP can adequately drive them. I just about noticed how badly the FiiO E5 muddied the sound from my Zune 120gb. It may just be how crystal clear and balanced the sound from the newer Zune's are. The FiiO E5 made the bass a bit smeared and muddy and the highs lost energy with the bass boost off. I am really procrastinating on purchasing a Ray Samuel Audio amplifier....most likely a P-51 Mustang. Honestly would this amp even provide an $400 improvement in SQ when amped off of a Zune 120gb's headphone out? I know the Zune's have on of the best headphone outs in any DAP. 15 out of 20 on the Zune's volume is the max I would go so I am getting more than enough volume.

Thanks.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ray samuels probably increases more than just the "loudness". You should try it...

I know it will offer more volume but I'm talking about would it offer more refined sound and added detail....My guess is it will or may add some detail to the sound but not enough over the Zune's headphone out to justify the $400 price tag.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm not sure I'd spend $400 on amping a H/O. L/O for sure, but a headphone out -boosting the internal amp? Dunno...sounds a lot to pay for that, particularly if you're already satisfied with the SQ unamped. Why not try a cheaper amp just to see? Buy a used amp in the FS forum - should give you an idea of what a better amp could do over a FiiO.

Edit\ If it helps, a 530 owning friend was impressed by the Xin SuperMicro IV using a D2 H/O....

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 14
I'm in the same boat, but my question at this point is, are the differences in price between tomahawk->hornet->p51->sr-71->blackbird->predator differences worth price diff and where's the sweet spot...

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 14
When I started in portable audio I paired a RSA tomahawk with my Cowon D2 and assorted IEMs, including the Shure SE530. I no longer have the Tommy but still have the Cowon and Shures.

Can the amp improve SQ? Subtle differences, yes. $200, $300, $400 worth? Probably not. By the time I factored in really small improvement with the hassle of toting another piece of gear, the difference was simply not worth it. However, I admit to missing a portable amp when I fly. Then it operates much like a head amp and is stationary. I can be still and listen, which is when the Tommy's effect on SQ really came through. For mobile use I don't miss the extra gear, and really don't think I'm missing anything. YMMV

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 14
Interesting opinion Aimless1, I have been thinking about amps more and more and have been leaning towards just getting a desktop amp for both my MS-1 and SE530 so as to enjoy them both way more at home. My SE530 are completely satisfying for daily on the go use.

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 14
The output on my tomahawk is the only amp that is clean and has the finesse needed to power my UM2. Out of any mp3 player, the hiss is unbearable and it mostly sounds boomy.

And no, impedance adapter is not a valid solution. It interferes with the crossover network in the UM2 and modifies frequency response.

The tomahawk is hiss free and more balanced sounding.

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 14
SE530s don't need an amp anyways...

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The output on my tomahawk is the only amp that is clean and has the finesse needed to power my UM2. Out of any mp3 player, the hiss is unbearable and it mostly sounds boomy.

And no, impedance adapter is not a valid solution. It interferes with the crossover network in the UM2 and modifies frequency response.

The tomahawk is hiss free and more balanced sounding.

For those who have a problem with hiss or with sibilance from their portable set up, a portable amp may be the best way to solve that problem. The Tomahawk is a wonderful portable amp. I hope no one read my post as putting down the Tommy. It does extend the bass, improve the soundstage and gives a "cleaner" presentation of the music, if I'm remembering correctly. But these are small and subtle differences, not large and dramatic.

Either I can't hear the hiss or I'm not bothered by it in my portable set up. In the end, for me, it was just one more piece of equipment to carry.

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel they don't need an amp for iPod/Zune.

well i cant commnet for the zune but they most certainly do for an ipod, the difference between the hp out and line out on the ipod i feel is a huge difference. the use of an amp then makes even more of a difference.

but the difference on the 530 compared to others is somewhat less

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 14
It's definitely not needed. Although my T4 does improve the sound on my 530's, I feel that the difference is marginal and not really required as I do with some of my other stuff (PFE for example).

For example, today I forgot to take the T4 with me on the way to work with my usual 530s... and I was like "...meh", even though I was still steps from my door. If I had the Phonaks I'd definitely be walking back there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back