Honest opinion wanted - iPod with ER-4P's
Feb 26, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I just ordered the black 30 GB model. I hope my 12 MiniDisc portables won't feel offended by this purchase.
icon10.gif

You better keep the iPod in isolation just to be safe...I think that perceived hiss is really tinnitus( 100% volume-
blink.gif
)

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #18 of 22
Although I use the same setup, I think it is overkill unless you use Lossless.

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #19 of 22
Just a little tip: buy a clear skin from bestskinsever.com right now and put it on your new iPod right out of the package. Don't even charge it or check your lipstick in the shiny back plate before putting that skin on. You'll thank me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you play classical pieces with ReplayGain applied, 100% volume can actually be pretty quiet with 4Ss.

I understand. I was just being a smart-azz...I've never used ReplayGain.

I have only a few lossless tracks on my iPod and I don't feel that the combo is overkill...but that subject has been done to death.

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #21 of 22
OK, got my iPod about a day ago, finally got around to using the 4P's with some soft music. I am impressed by the headphone out on this device, seems to sound better than it did when I tried it out at a local Future Shop. There is a tiny bit of hiss, not enough to be a problem.

Thanks for all your helpful responses.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, got my iPod about a day ago, finally got around to using the 4P's with some soft music. I am impressed by the headphone out on this device, seems to sound better than it did when I tried it out at a local Future Shop. There is a tiny bit of hiss, not enough to be a problem.

Thanks for all your helpful responses.

Yes with my E500s there is a tiny amount of hiss, I have heard much worse from an headphone jack. Plus, if you use a good portable headphone amp from the line out there is no hiss. Of course that can empty the wallet faster also
biggrin.gif

I can also confirm that with rockbox, the hiss is gone through the headphone out, dead silent. I don't know whats going on there, I just know it's gone.

Enjoy your ipod SPBG, I think the 5.5 is probably one of the best all around DAP you can get, simple to use, good performance, and good tweaking options for the geeks/audiophiles
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back