Honda S2000 reliability
Jun 29, 2007 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
I've gathered that there are quite a few S2000 owners on head-fi. So, here's the deal: I've got about $18k to spend on an S2000, which means a '01 with about 50k on the clock. That's not the newest car out there, and 50k in a sports car = 100k everywhere else. So, I'm wondering, if anyone has an S2000 from that generation, how is it holding up after all these years? Is getting this a good idea, or is getting something newer (RSX Type-S for instance) a better idea? I do not plan to drive these cars slowly or gently, though I do maintain cars well.

Also, this will not be garage kept. How will the convertible handle NJ weather being outdoors all the time? (it alternates between brutally hot and miserably cold here, and it's very humid 100% of the time).

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 21
It all depends on who you buy it from. Did they abuse it? did they treat it well? Honda's are very reliable and great overall cars. Its a high performance car so you'll have to do your basic maintenance to it, but since you enjoy that stuff you shouldnt have any issues. I dont think you'll have an issue with weather. My dad's had a T-tops on his camaro and now he has a corvette. The only issue he ever had was a leak. Unless it was 100 degrees one day here and 40 the next - id hardly worry about the weather. Just look out for pot holes.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 21
absolutely reliable. only issues with earlier models (pre 03ish) is a clutch buzz and the differential is weak if you run it hard (hard starts).

you may want later models for a glass rear instead of plastic

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 21
My friend's '00 with 130k runs practically like new except for his clutch. Better than new, actually, with slight mods. Definitely get the glass rear, the plastic is miserable.

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 21
Can I swap out the plastic for the glass one later if I get one of the earlier models? 18k is not going to get me a newer model in good condition, at least from what I saw. Maybe if I get lucky...

On the whole, this is encouraging. Pretty much everything that I've read points towards stellar reliability and owner satisfaction, a few clutch problems here and there notwithstanding (and I expect that in a sports car TBH).

I can't wait to get one of these...

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 21
Jun 29, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 21
dude take the $18k and use it as down payment for a used NSX!

come on...you want to..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 21
Yeah, you can fit the glass rear on to the old models. My friend did it himself, or you can get a shop to do it.

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 21
Thanks for the links, but I'm not buying just this second. I still have to move my old car first. I'll probably be buying in August, maybe late July. Though actually waiting this long is going to try my self-restraint
frown.gif

I guess it's fortunate for my wallet that I prefer the pre-2004 models with the 9k redline. More midrange torque is fine, but if I wanted midrange torque, I'd get a 350z. I want that VTEC wail
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

come on...you want to..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Not really. The NSX was good in 1991, but this is 2007, and it's now outdated and outclassed. A 2JZ swap or maybe a 26B can put new life into it of course, but that's about as reliable as CNN. If we're talking NSX money there are better options.

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 21
Yeah Ecuador is on the right track here. I owned an 03 model that I sold two years ago this summer for $21k.

You can definitely do far better than an 01 for $18k. Honestly, the maximum you should be paying for an 01 at the moment is $12-14k. There's just too many of them on the market right now to pay anymore than that.

If I were you I would focus on the 03 and up models. The last few thousand 02's are ok as well as long as the last four digits of the VIN# are greater than 6000. Honda did an update around that time to make the oil supplying banjo bolts 4 hole bolts, instead of the 2 hole one's they used on the 00 and 01 models. The first two years had some minor issues, including inadequate lubrication in either cylinder 1 or 4 due to the banjo belts, but mainly the clutch buzz was the only widespread issue. The 02 top with the glass window is a huge improvement, as were the suspension upgrades made after the 02 year model. The first two years have extreme oversteer characteristics and I would only recommend them to the most hardcore of enthusiast drivers.

Regardless of what year you end up with, about only 1% of all S2000 owners can extract 100% of the stock supensions performance, so you may as well go for the newer models which won't send you in to the ditch as often.

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah Ecuador is on the right track here. I owned an 03 model that I sold two years ago this summer for $21k.

You can definitely do far better than an 01 for $18k. Honestly, the maximum you should be paying for an 01 at the moment is $12-14k. There's just too many of them on the market right now to pay anymore than that.

If I were you I would focus on the 03 and up models. The last few thousand 02's are ok as well as long as the last four digits of the VIN# are greater than 6000. Honda did an update around that time to make the oil supplying banjo bolts 4 hole bolts, instead of the 2 hole one's they used on the 00 and 01 models. The first two years had some minor issues, including inadequate lubrication in either cylinder 1 or 4 due to the banjo belts, but mainly the clutch buzz was the only widespread issue. The 02 top with the glass window is a huge improvement, as were the suspension upgrades made after the 02 year model. The first two years have extreme oversteer characteristics and I would only recommend them to the most hardcore of enthusiast drivers.

Regardless of what year you end up with, about only 1% of all S2000 owners can extract 100% of the stock supensions performance, so you may as well go for the newer models which won't send you in to the ditch as often.

Very useful, thanks! It looks like the 03 model is the way to go then. 18k is my absolute maximum at the moment though, but I hope it will be enough.

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

come on...you want to..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Really wise advice. Get a great car and don't look back. The S2000 has a number of challenges. Reliability though, I cannot speak to.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back