Homemade speaker??
May 2, 2010 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vincent01

Head-Fier
I accidentally stumbled on discovery channel while I was looking for a nice movies or t.v programs to watch. It was mythbusters, one of their programs. I guess, their episode for that day was about busting some videos on youtube. There was a video on youtube on how to make a homemade speakers form paper plates, aluminum foil, shiny penny and some jack cables. It was busted and tested to be untrue and, definitely, not working.

May 3, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I see. So, you can really make a homemade speaker. How about its sound quality? And it lifeline? Do you know any link that I can visit regarding this?

You may have better luck on an audio forum that is not primarily dedicated to headphones and portable audio.

May 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I see. So, you can really make a homemade speaker. How about its sound quality? And it lifeline? Do you know any link that I can visit regarding this?

Which type?

If you mean a cone and box type with the driver premade and stuff it can usually last a long time if you take care of it. Very simple to tackle - specially if you go with a full range design.

The other styles depends on how skilled you are constructing and taking care of it. They're also quite a bit more difficult to make requiring special tools (which one usually ends up making themselves - mylar tensioner for example), special materials, and sometimes special electronics.

In terms of simplicity in terms of an entirely DIY magneplanar would probably be the best since it's rather straightforward. From their ribbon if you're skilled and have patience. Finally stats if you have lots of cash and are good with electronics.

Personally I'd just buy a set of Magnepan's and be happy with their linear response and super low THD. $600 + solid amp and you have speakers that most audiophiles struggle like hell to fault.

EDIT:

If you send me a private message I can send you some links and suggestions on where to get started building if you're really that interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back