HOME Use Phones For Sony PCDP without amp??
Mar 1, 2005 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Ubijza

100+ Head-Fier
Size, make and price are not important (as long as they are up to or not much over $200 that is
smily_headphones1.gif
) My PCDP is Sony D-NE920 and has a typical modern headphone output of 5mW (perhaps, given time, i'll hunt down a good vintage player which will give more juice - 9mW+ - but for now I'm stuck with the modern underpowered one). I am NOT going to use an amp. Size is not important, sound isolation is not important - only sound quality
smily_headphones1.gif
Please do not suggest canal phones/in ear types - I already have e2c for portable use.
I've heard good things of A900 for example - are they good without an amp?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 22
I will whole-heartedly suggest the grado sr-225. There are some for sale in the FS forum for $165. And I would also suggest the flat pads $30. There you go. I love spending other people's money.

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 22
A900 is good and should give you ample volume from your Sony PCDP.

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 22
Turner Brown
Thanks for the reply!
But as the saying goes: "It's not your opinion that interests me, but you reasoning!"
smily_headphones1.gif
Will it work to anywhere near its full potential without an amp? I 'm
almost certain, that I've read sowhere in these forums that it *can* work unamped, but an amp *is recommended*... just brousing through headroom catalog - "an amp is recommended"...
Any other suggestions?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza
Thanks for the reply!
But as the saying goes: "It's not your opinion that interests me, but you reasoning!"
smily_headphones1.gif
Will it work to anywhere near its full potential without an amp? I 'm
almost certain, that I've read sowhere in these forums that it *can* work unamped, but an amp *is recommended*... just brousing through headroom catalog - "an amp is recommended"...
Any other suggestions?
smily_headphones1.gif

Out of a portable device, unamped, I will say that you will get about 95% of the sr-225's. Other's may argue but that's just my experience.

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec

I 2nd this (I just ordered my own)

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec

It is not just volume though - music's detail of underpowered headphones suffers too. So do ATH900 fall into sr225 category - *good*, but *recommended with an amp*?

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

It is not just volume though - music's detail of underpowered headphones suffers too. So do ATH900 fall into sr225 category - *good*, but *recommended with an amp*?

I seriously don't know why they say the 225 need an amp...I lived with them for 9 months unamped out of a portable and it was great. I even auditioned them with the sr-71 and it didn't make that big of a difference at all....so little in fact that I turned down the sr-71 at that time. Can anyone else back me up on this? I feel that headrooms description is unfounded.

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turner_Brown
I seriously don't know why they say the 225 need an amp...I lived with them for 9 months unamped out of a portable and it was great. I even auditioned them with the sr-71 and it didn't make that big of a difference at all....so little in fact that I turned down the sr-71 at that time. Can anyone else back me up on this? I feel that headrooms description is unfounded.

What was th output of your portable though? 5mW?

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

What was th output of your portable though? 5mW?

I'm not sure...it's an iriver h120.

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 22
Haha, HD players have output of about 20mW on average... No wonder
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Haha, HD players have output of about 20mW on average... No wonder
icon10.gif

20mW(R) + 20mW(L) (16ohms) at Max. Volume
11.6mW(R) + 11.6mW(L) (32ohms) at Max. Volume

Mar 1, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 22
20mW it is then! Like I said - no wonder your SR225s are happy with the power of the output. My DNE920's 5mW will not suffice...

Mar 1, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

20mW it is then! Like I said - no wonder your SR225s are happy with the power of the output. My DNE920's 5mW will not suffice...

well...the 225's are 32ohms...so it's actually 11.6mw. I guess I never realized how weak pcdp headphone outs are. I used to run my 60's out of a pcdp and I was very happy at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back