Home Theatre?
Jun 7, 2006 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Screamager

100+ Head-Fier
Ive been put up with the challenge to help my father with a home theatre setup, and although I have knowlege of Pro Video (Brodcast) and Pro Sound (4 years in live sound) I am not up to date on the latest advances in this complex new world of home theatre (primarily I cant understand why I would put my video signal thru an AV receiver instead of just conecting it directly to the projector/monitor which seems more logical) and am looking for a good forum or source of serious info on the subject. I have found countless websites but a lot are outdated sites and others just dont seem serious when they recomend speakers the size of a coca-cola can or brands like Creative.

CAn anyone point me in the right direction please.

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamager
Ive been put up with the challenge to help my father with a home theatre setup, and although I have knowlege of Pro Video (Brodcast) and Pro Sound (4 years in live sound) I am not up to date on the latest advances in this complex new world of home theatre (primarily I cant understand why I would put my video signal thru an AV receiver instead of just conecting it directly to the projector/monitor which seems more logical) and am looking for a good forum or source of serious info on the subject. I have found countless websites but a lot are outdated sites and others just dont seem serious when they recomend speakers the size of a coca-cola can or brands like Creative.

CAn anyone point me in the right direction please.

http://avsforum.com/

This is to home theater what head-fi is to headphones imo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
http://avsforum.com/

This is to home theater what head-fi is to headphones imo.
smily_headphones1.gif

I disagree, I found that head-fi has a much warmer community if that is a good way to describe it, we are much more friendly then avsforum, and much smaller. You can post something here and not get yelled at.

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I disagree, I found that head-fi has a much warmer community if that is a good way to describe it, we are much more friendly then avsforum, and much smaller. You can post something here and not get yelled at.

Well, avsforum also has a searchengine, and a lot of information on the website. To me it clearly is the best when it comes to HT, sure, at times it's not easy to completely understand everything. Considering how people will react when asking something, I don't know, because I didn't have the need to post there yet, and the posts I read didn't have any unfriendly replies. For that matter, I also see a lot of people posting silly things on head-fi that are being answered with "use search" or the like.

I wonder what you posted to get yelled at.
tongue.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
Well, avsforum also has a searchengine, and a lot of information on the website. To me it clearly is the best when it comes to HT, sure, at times it's not easy to completely understand everything. Considering how people will react when asking something, I don't know, because I didn't have the need to post there yet, and the posts I read didn't have any unfriendly replies. For that matter, I also see a lot of people posting silly things on head-fi that are being answered with "use search" or the like.

I wonder what you posted to get yelled at.
tongue.gif

Not just I, lots of people find it very unfriendly there. With the amount of posts they have, it's ridiculous to get told to use the search function beyond the first few pages, it's way too long.

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 12
Took a look around the site, and on first glance it seems not to be of much help. Every forum there is very specific with no FAQs for newbies in that area. Not very user friendly unless you are looking for info on one specific piece of equipment it seems.

I´ll read around in it, but if anyone has other suggestions on sites for HT please share.

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 12
AVS is where it's at, it's just 'different' than Head-Fi, not better or worse.

As for routing video through a receiver, don't bother. Just go straight to the monitor - 99.99% of AVS would agree with me on that
smily_headphones1.gif
Frankly I don't know why they even include that functionality, I don't know anyone who uses it!

Other than that home theater is easy to setup. Go to dolby.com for diagrams of 'ideal' layouts for 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 setups to match how they're mixed, and just tweak based off of that. Also pick up a calibration DVD for more tips, DVE is my favorite. Don't be fooled by the 2001 release date, it's still very relevant.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

--Illah

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 12
I will recommend AVS as well. I have found some useful info there as well as some helpful members.

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Not just I, lots of people find it very unfriendly there. With the amount of posts they have, it's ridiculous to get told to use the search function beyond the first few pages, it's way too long.

I agree. I know people that refuse to post there because of it. Having said that, there are some folks here (Head-Fi) who also have a pet-peeve about not using the search function. Of course, searching first is always proper netiquette. I will add that all of my n00b posts here have always been answered courteously.

To the original poster:

Try searching AVS for the specific equipment you are interested in. You can start with specific model numbers. If that doesn't work, try something more generic, like "55 inch plasma". I'd be very surprised if you didn't find some useful info, unless you're looking at something really obscure.

If you still don't find the answers to your questions, then post your query.

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
I agree. I know people that refuse to post there because of it. Having said that, there are some folks here (Head-Fi) who also have a pet-peeve about not using the search function. Of course, searching first is always proper netiquette. I will add that all of my n00b posts here have always been answered courteously.

To the original poster:

Try searching AVS for the specific equipment you are interested in. You can start with specific model numbers. If that doesn't work, try something more generic, like "55 inch plasma". I'd be very surprised if you didn't find some useful info, unless you're looking at something really obscure.

If you still don't find the answers to your questions, then post your query.

Heh, I have a habit of posting, and then searching. If 5 minutes or so of a search doesn't work, posting is fine. I read in another thread that there is so much information here, that half the threads created daily probably wouldn't need to be if people archived through every post. On AVSFORUM, that's even more true probably because theres a quadrillion posts. I've tried searching there, it's very difficult, no fun. Too mnay results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back