Sep 26, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #46 of 95
The panny is fine.

Sep 27, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #47 of 95
Sep 27, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #48 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcharouz
is this the one?
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Custo...Review.do#tabs

and what would I do about the outside speakers???

that's it but don't get it from CC. order from J&R here... much cheaper.

the outside speakers can be driven from the panny's "B" speaker output.

Sep 28, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #49 of 95
What outside speakers?

Sep 28, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #50 of 95
I need some speakers for the backyard, probably stereo. Could I use the extra insignia I will have?

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #51 of 95
I went to look around in a local high quality sound store, and I bought my whole setup xcept wires and insignias...

Pioneer elite VSX-80TXV reciever
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...966022,00.html
Insignas (3 pairs)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085354138
polk audio PSW10 sub
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/psw10/
14gauge 250ft wire($72) home depot

The only problem I can found is that I dont see much of a difference with the sub on or off, the driver is moving like crazy, but it has a hard time making enoug bass as 3 insignias I have installed already installed. Maybie I am setting something wrong?

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #52 of 95
Quote:

I went to look around in a local high quality sound store, and I bought my whole setup xcept wires and insignias...
Pioneer elite VSX-80TXV reciever
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...966022,00.html
Insignas (3 pairs)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085354138
polk audio PSW10 sub
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/psw10/
14gauge 250ft wire($72) home depot

The only problem I can found is that I dont see much of a difference with the sub on or off, the driver is moving like crazy, but it has a hard time making enoug bass as 3 insignias I have installed already installed. Maybie I am setting something wrong?

Probably the crossover on the sub or either in your receiver! You can set at what frequency the sub will take over, if you set it too high, the insigna's might be able to compete with the sub, the extreem low frequencies, a good sub usually does much better! So look at the specs of the insigna's: if they go as low as 40-30hz, you should set the sub for that, that it takes over at 30-40 hz or slightly above. This way the sub will take over the extreem low frequencies, wich is does best and for a beter coherent sound.

Also, if you use a meter to balance the speakers in the set, al speakers should be set to 75db at reference volume level except the sub. usually is the sub set for 75 db + 3 extra db. So 3 db harder then the surround speakers for best sound and integration.

Hope this helps a bit.
wink.gif

EDIT:

i see in the specs that the insigna's go as deep as 50 hz, set your subwoofer to 50-60hz to take over. Rolloff for 50hz on the insigna's is considerable and the sub should do much better in that region. Also set it 3 db harder then the surround speakers.

if you have an analohue db meter you can setup your set as follow:

place the dbmeter on the spot you normally sit and watch tv, movies. Turn the volume knob as far as the meter hits the 75 db.
don't touch the volume knob again! Now measure the right speaker, if it's not exact 75 db, you can set it louder with your receivers internal settings! measure it up to 75 db. Do this for all 4 speakers. Now measure the sub, to 75 db, this is usually a bit too soft for the sub, add 3 db or 6 db and lsiten if it sound coherent...you're set.

next time you turn down or turn up the volume, every speaker in de set is even loud en gives a coherent pleasing sound. This way also the surround effects are much better.

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #53 of 95
thanks, on the sub there is o lowest crossover setting of 80mhz, and in the reciever settings I can do 50,80, 100, 150.......

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #54 of 95
Quote:

thanks, on the sub there is o lowest crossover setting of 80mhz, and in the reciever settings I can do 50,80, 100, 150.......

You could set the surrounds in the receiver to 80 hz, to give some slack in the low frequencies. The sub should 1,5 times the frequency of the surrounds, so the sub could be set to 100 hz.

I think thisway you will hear your sub much beter and the sound should be more coherent.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #55 of 95
I can't believe you bought a Pioneer Elite receiver to go with those cheap speakers.

You might as well put 24" rims on a Toyota Corolla :frowning2:

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #56 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock\
I can't believe you bought a Pioneer Elite receiver to go with those cheap speakers.

Hmm 650 dollars isn't much for a receiver.
blink.gif
600smile.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #57 of 95
Actually $650 is a good amount of money for a receiver when your total budget is only $1000 tops.

The three biggest factors in audio reproduction are:

1) Speakers
2) The Room acoustics
3) The interaction between the speakers and the room.

Note that electronics or cables aren't on that list. He should have spent that extra $350 on some better speakers, and left out that crappy sub until he could afford an HSU or SVS. But he's 16, so I'll blame it on his youth :)

There will be no difference in sound quality in the $300 Pioneer he was looking at, and the $650 he ended up buying. He basically let that salesguy at that "high end" store take his lunch money.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #58 of 95
Ah, the perils of an inexpensive sub. (For the record, you were warned by posters here about inexpensive subs.) It's not a bad unit actually, but with an f3 of 40Hz, you're not going to get floor shaking bass in movies whatever you do. You can't depend on room gain for low end reinforcement since you have a fairly large room.

I would cross it higher. It's a 10 inch sub, so it can be crossed relatively high. The Insignias are already down several dB at 80 Hz, so you crossing them there doesn't make a lot of sense. I would set the crossover frequency at 100 Hz (or even 120 Hz provided the third order harmonic distortion is not making it localizable).

The other thing that you should do before making any configuration changes is try flipping the phase switch on your subwoofer if it has one (the Polk "specifications" page doesn't mention whether it has a phase switch or adjustable phase). If it has a variable phase knob, adjust it so the total output (Insignias and sub) is loudest at the crossover frequency, or alternatively, is loudest somewhere in the 70-80 Hz range. If your bookshelves and sub are out of phase, they can cancel and produce greatly diminished output.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #59 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock\

They're competent speakers. They measure well and have a very good power response, better than most MT bookshelf speakers in the $500 range. Notice that he's got hardwood floors, so this matters. Their weakness is the cabinets, but it's nothing like putting excessively large rims on a car, which only tends to compromise handling.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #60 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Ah, the perils of an inexpensive sub. (For the record, you were warned by posters here about inexpensive subs.) It's not a bad unit actually, but with an f3 of 40Hz, you're not going to get floor shaking bass in movies whatever you do. You can't depend on room gain for low end reinforcement since you have a fairly large room.

I would cross it higher. It's a 10 inch sub, so it can be crossed relatively high. The Insignias are already down several dB at 80 Hz, so you crossing them there doesn't make a lot of sense. I would set the crossover frequency at 100 Hz (or even 120 Hz provided the third order harmonic distortion is not making it localizable).

The other thing that you should do before making any configuration changes is try flipping the phase switch on your subwoofer if it has one (the Polk "specifications" page doesn't mention whether it has a phase switch or adjustable phase). If it has a variable phase knob, adjust it so the total output (Insignias and sub) is loudest at the crossover frequency, or alternatively, is loudest somewhere in the 70-80 Hz range. If your bookshelves and sub are out of phase, they can cancel and produce greatly diminished output.

To give some slack to the insigna's. most people do this and do not set the crossover close to the max. lowest output. To set the insigna's to 80 hz you keep em clean and give slack in the low frequencies and keep em clean. Falloff is terrible at 50hz! 50hz is lowest and you will cross em over at 120 hz
blink.gif
setting them to 100hz will give em even more slack. They won't add any low frequency at all. You don't wanna cross the sub at 120 z, this way it adds to much in the low/midlow fequencies and can add too much bass in that region! And easally can takeover the sound too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back