Home Theater In A Box... $500?
Oct 12, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #16 of 21
For receivers, check out the onkyo 603 from www.accessories4less.com, for $269 plus shipping, it can't be beat IMO. Or the Marantz SR4600 for $279.

For a DVD player, You really don't need to spend more than 50-60 dollars to get quality nowadays. Unless you want an upconvert player, which is where HDMI would come into play. Check out the Phillips DVP5960 or the Samsung DVD-HD860. Both are under $100 and will allow you to get the best from the HDMI hookup.

For speaker stands and cables, check out www.partsexpress.com. I wouldn't pay 1 cent more than what they charge for their Dayton cables, they are excellent. And you can get some speaker stands from there for as low as $30/pair.

Good Luck!

Oct 12, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock\
For receivers, check out the onkyo 603 from www.accessories4less.com, for $269 plus shipping, it can't be beat IMO. Or the Marantz SR4600 for $279.

For a DVD player, You really don't need to spend more than 50-60 dollars to get quality nowadays. Unless you want an upconvert player, which is where HDMI would come into play. Check out the Phillips DVP5960 or the Samsung DVD-HD860. Both are under $100 and will allow you to get the best from the HDMI hookup.

For speaker stands and cables, check out www.partsexpress.com. I wouldn't pay 1 cent more than what they charge for their Dayton cables, they are excellent. And you can get some speaker stands from there for as low as $30/pair.

Good Luck!

hmm... thanks! do those receivers have hdmi connects? i mean, will it allow us to hook up hdmi to the tv?

it's pricey but i will look into them for sure

thanks for the links and the info on the stands/cables as well! much appreciated!

[i guess the next obvious questions would pertain to placement... but i will save that for another day!]

Oct 12, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #18 of 21
you're not going to find a receiver with HDMI for any less than $800, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just run the HDMI from the DVD player to the TV, and an optical or digital coax cable from the DVD to the receiver.

I would Definitely hold off on the center channel for now. It isn't a necessity especially when you're on a budget.

If you want somewhere a little more friendly than AVS, check out my home forum www.soundandvisionmag.com/idealbb. We are having some software isssues right now, but the guys are great.

Oct 19, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #19 of 21
Just posting to say that I went with my cousin to purchase a couple things to add to the 50" plasma.

1.) Philips DVP5960 Upconverting Philips DVD/DivX Player
2.) AudioQuest HDMI-A HDMI Cable

Still working on the speakers, we saw the Insignias at BB and looking to purchase a set (or 2) of those this weekend.

Thanks again for the advice, I'm sure I'll post again when we get more stuff.

By the way, the picture on the TV with the DVD player is pretty great, but on older movies (like the Bourne Identity) the picture isn't as crisp and clear like when we watched Bad Boys II per se.

Oct 19, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #21 of 21
rofl, which one, hook it up with a link!

i have to say, after buying this upconverting dvd player, i still don't think it's cut out for the tv... the PQ is just not what i expected (i expected better)

but maybe a better TV is needed, so who knows...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back