Home Theater Considerations...
Feb 17, 2005 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
I’m currently building a home theater system which (I hope) will serve me for quite some time. This system will also have to function as my HiFi stereo system due to limited space; therefore it must be adept in both arenas. This system will replace:
NAD C521BEE CD player
NAD C320BEE Integrated Amplifier
NAD C440 Tuner
PSB Image 5T Speakers

I have decided on all the components (more or less) but if you feel I’m neglecting an excellent possibility please speak up. So far I am considering:
Denon DVD-2910 Universal Player ~ $600 (budget must remain under $1000)
Denon AVR-2805 Receiver ~ $800 (budget must remain under $1000)
Samsung TX-P3075WH 30” Widescreen HDTV ~ $850 (budget must remain under $1500)

I selected the Denon 2910 because of its quality Redbook sound, great video quality and universal capability. The 3910 was almost $1000 more and only featured an upgrade of the transport and some minor specification improvements. If some feel it is truly worthwhile I may invest the extra funds but I would like to hear some compelling testimonials.

I selected the 2805 receiver because of its feature-set and sound quality of the amplifier. The only differences between the 2805 and the 3805 AFAIK are some minor extra connectivity options and a minute increase in power.

I am satisfied with both these options but if I were to spend more in a single area I would upgrade the 2910 to the 3910.

The TV is a tougher issue I surmise. I’d like to get a tube for now because I still prefer the way they look (especially a nice flat tube like the Samsung). Only DLP approaches the quality of the tube, and it is far more costly. Since the room will be small, I don’t need a larger TV than 30 inches. I like all the I/O connections of the Samsung as well. I’m welcoming other suggestions and advice.

The speakers are my only complete unknown. I have no idea where to start. Should I get a bunch of Paradigm Studios and a Velodyne? I’m considering the following, lightly-researched speaker configuration (the 2 front speakers are the most important to me as this system will serve double-duty as a stereo HiFi, but my DVD-As are begging for 5.1 playback):
Front: Paradigm Studio 40
Rear: Paradigm Studio 20
Center: CC-470 or CC-570
Subwoofer: Velodyne subwoofer under $1500 (I know absolutely zilch regarding subs)

Thanks again for any help you guys can offer – input, criticisms and flames are welcomed.

Feb 18, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 19
There are a couple of very high-level comments I'll throw out.

1. Consider something like a Panasonic XR50 as your receiver. You'll get a digital amp stage, as well as a comparably low price, which is money saved to be spent later, or on a different part of your system...

2. Speaking of which... entertain a front projector system if you have reasonable light control. An Infocus 4805 paired with a good screen will give you an incredible 100 inch display device for about $1k plus the screen investment. (Which can be cheap or expensive, depending on how you go about it.) Of course, the price escalates ($2k for 720p LCDs, $3.5k for the first "entry level" 720p DLPs) and the feature set goes up, depending on your need for resolution and your sensitivity to DLP or LCD "issues."

Feb 18, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 19
Concerning the DVD player, IMO they're pretty much all the same. Sound quality is a non-issue as you'll be sending digital audio to the AV Amp (for DD/DTS decoding) Video quality will be identical to a $200 DVD player. So I would recommend buying a fairly cheap player and not break the bank..just buy a player with decent build, good chipset & compatibility. Cheap analogue section would be good :) if you're going over HDMI then picture quality on the player is really a moot issue. And especially since HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is on near horizon spending alot on a "standard" DVD player..

But then DVD-Audio is sent over 5.1 out so you want a good sounding player...if MPAA weren't so anal about copy protection would have been sorted by now
rolleyes.gif

If music is a important too, I would check Harmon/Kardon amps..overall more "musical" than Denon IMO.

As for subwoofers, I would only consider the Velodyne DD range (if you want to stick to Velodyne) and they're way over your budget. For your budget checkout the SVS cylinder PC Plus/PC Ultra or SVS dual Plus designs..or HSU.
Speakers...also JM Lab Electra, M&K S-150...lots of choices :)

For those speakers (and what you've mentioned) you really need to go into seperates...mid-range AV amps are not sufficient IMO. I've got seperates and the difference is MASSIVE! I've got 10 channels totalling 2.5KW of high end amplification :)...even flagship HK AV amp is left behind. And it didn't cost that much...about the same as the HK.

Perhaps checkout a decent Parasound 5 channel poweramp? HCA-2205A or 3500? With a good HT processing stage?

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 19
Second the XR50, I got Titan, Atom and CC170. They got good synergy, better than 3805 that I've auditioned. The downside is XR50 use spring clip and its remote looks cheap.
Try to audition them, if you don't like it, selling them will be very easy. With your budget, if you choose XR50, you got $400 more to play with, my suggestion is to get sony 30XS955 as your tube HDTV, it got a rave review in avsforum lately.

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 19
I would stick with a Nad receiver to continue the synergy you have with the PSB towers.

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 19
30" of HDTV screen would correspond to an ideal eye-to-screen distance of approx. 6-7 feet. How small is your space? The Paradigm Studios are not exactly small bookshelves. They do sound great though, so I'd highly recommend them.

As far as the Samsung don't know, from the reviews I've seen recently in WhatHiFi, I'd check the Panasonics, Toshibas, and Sonys.

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 19
NeilPeart>What is your budget for the speakers? How about the B&W VM lifestyle speakers they are quite good for the price and not as bad as I would of thought for music reproduction.

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 19
I have a Denon 2900 and 3803 that I purchased for dual home-theater and hi-fi purchases, much as you are planning to do --

except that Denons are good for home theater and fairly weak for hi-fi, something I found out in practice, after I thought I had done my research. I regret my decisions a lot -- and I've read up on hi-fi/home theater combos since then. If I had it to do over, I would not get the 2900 or the 3803 -- or the models that have come out since.

If you want a DVD player that also does CDs well, don't go for the universal players -- and skip the Denons, Yamahas, and Pioneers. Go for something like an Arcam DVD/CD player or a Rotel DVD/CD player (the RDV-1060?) -- the English brands are good for that kind of stuff. Pick up a copy of What Hi-Fi? for hints on good English brand DVD/CD players. They usually have sturdier builds and better sound. Or if you're looking at the used market, Thetas and EADs are good brands to look at.

And as for receivers -- NADs are good (they're English!) and the earlier recommendations to go digitial may work also (I have no experience with digital receivers...)

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Feb 18, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_guy
I have a Denon 2900 and 3803 that I purchased for dual home-theater and hi-fi purchases, much as you are planning to do --

except that Denons are good for home theater and fairly weak for hi-fi, something I found out in practice, after I thought I had done my research. I regret my decisions a lot -- and I've read up on hi-fi/home theater combos since then. If I had it to do over, I would not get the 2900 or the 3803 -- or the models that have come out since.

If you want a DVD player that also does CDs well, don't go for the universal players -- and skip the Denons, Yamahas, and Pioneers. Go for something like an Arcam DVD/CD player or a Rotel DVD/CD player (the RDV-1060?) -- the English brands are good for that kind of stuff. Pick up a copy of What Hi-Fi? for hints on good English brand DVD/CD players. They usually have sturdier builds and better sound. Or if you're looking at the used market, Thetas and EADs are good brands to look at.

And as for receivers -- NADs are good (they're English!) and the earlier recommendations to go digitial may work also (I have no experience with digital receivers...)

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Try hi fi choice for uk stuff. Much better and more informed than what hi fi. It use to be a good mag then it went to the dogs.

Feb 18, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 19
late last year, i completed my system for my apartment, which includes:

27" Sony KV-27HS420 HDTV
Marantz SR7500 7.1 THX Select reciever
Marantz DV6400 CD/DVD/SACD/DVD-A
B&W 601 S3, 600 S3, LCR 60
Velodyne SPL-800II

i love it all, but of course, its not the greatest. i mainly use it for movies, but i like the few SACD and DVD-A's i listen to. $550 for a DVD player was steep, but i feel that its worth it. video quality on the player is superb and the sound is quite natural, i compared the sound to a rotel rdv-1050 and i prefered the marantz, but thats just me.
the reciever is one my favorite pieces. the features are great and the price is right, paid $850 for it. considering it does 105watts x 7, has speaker A B and C, MRAC (marantz room acoustics correction - includes mic), 4 component in - 1 out and component upconversion (run one component from reciever to tv and all connections made to the reciever come out from the component), and a LCD learning remote.
i used to have JM Lab Chorus speakers but switched to the B&W. i liked the JM Labs and thought they were very good for music, but lacked in the HT area. i prefer speakers that are more lively for movies, i guess i like brighter speakers, which the B&W are. the B&W are great for music also, but since most of my HT use is for movies, the B&W's work great. i use one set of JM Lab chorus 705 S bookshelves for computer speakers, like i said, they sound great for music
smily_headphones1.gif

if anything, my subwoofer was the most noticeable upgrade i made. i ran everything above without a sub for a couple months, and i liked the sound, but it obviously lacked, you really cant watch movies without covering all frequencies adaquately, and bookshelves alone dont help achieve that. it was a pricey sub, but i wanted something small, musical and loud, and this sub delivers. 8" sub, 1000 watt RMS amp, believe me, this thing can move air.
not saying you should buy what i bought, search around.
i was choosing between a denon dvd and reciever and marantz dvd and reciever and chose the marantz because i felt i got more for the money (especially with the reciever).
if i could have afforded them, i would have gone with the Paradigm Studio series, but the B&W worked well for me for the money. for a more musical approach, look into JM Lab, they dont seem to have a big name like paradigm and B&W do, but they are certainly a great speaker.

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 19
OK, this is what I would do:

1. If those Digital receivers are really that good buy one. $300.00
2. Buy a cheaper DVD player. $200.00
3. Buy a Sony 34" HDTV (KD-34XBR960) $2200.00
4. Buy an ACI Maestro subwoofer $2100.00
5. Speakers – Phase Technology PC series

Feb 18, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #13 of 19
Hey Leeav

Looks like your set on the receiver side? heeh but i'll throw out a suggestion, its cheap but it has a huge bang for buck if you're on a tight budget. Try out the Pioneer 1014 and see if you like it or not, Its suppose to have the same internals as the pioneer elite 52tx. 110 watts x 7 channels, room correction software MCACC + more

400 bucks at best buy, buy it try it don't like it return it where's the easy button.

There's a long thread going on in the avsforums Pioneer 1014 Give it a read.

Also in the subwoofer side you should check out the svs woofers. For $1500 and even cheaper you can get some water pipe breaking subs
tongue.gif
... I've heard stories.... But anyways its svsubwoofers.com. Just send Tom Vodhanel an email and let him know you are looking for a sub, he can give you recomendations based on your room size and dimensions, which may or may not even be an svs! Those subs can go low and now that they brought in thier box lines you can have a normal shaped subwoofer with great performance. They even have several stains you can choose from. I like the look of the tubes better though ;P

If I had an svs I'd invite you over or a listen but I don't... which I hope will change by the end of the year long time eheh.

Maybe some headfiers have a svs subwofoer in the bay area that can invite you over for a listen. SVS has a huge following and there has to be a reason for that.

As for speakers I'm at a lost I have no idea good luck though
eek.gif
so many choices!

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 19
Hi Neil,
If I were you, I keep nad cdp and get a dedicated dvd player. This could save you hefty chunk without sacrificing sound quality. Like you mentioned, I would sell the current int-amp, tuner and speakers. With the savings from dvd player, I would invest leftover for multi-channel processor and power amp. There are plenty of nice dvd player for $300-500 range.

Check out www.outlawaudio.com.
The biggest improvement and costly upgrade usually occurs in the multi-channel processor. The model 950 preamp/processor is a crazy bargain in the ht world. Also the model 7100 amp will have plenty power to drive most speakers. Few av receivers would beat separate system. At outlawaudio, they usually sell their stuff in bundle packs combining preamp/amp for higher discounts. My guess for 950/7100 combo is about $1500. They carry B-stock models as well for deeper savings.

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 19
The Outlaw pre-power was good at the time, but overall it doesn't have the sound quality of the best of the bunch..and now it's fallen behind much newer units..it was hyped up to a extreme level on the net and it didn't live up to expectations.

Yes it's a bargain HT pre-amp, it does the job- but if you want excellent sound quality & processing it's not the best (if you want the "best" at that price point) Unfortuantly AV pre-amps are really expensive, compared to AV amps.
frown.gif

Digital amplifiers are still a long way off IMO...again more hype following these units
mad.gif
they're good for subwoofer and transducers amplification at the present time. I would leave it a few more generations until using them for other channels.

You could look at bottom of the range Harmon/Kardon AV amp, use internal poweramps for side & surround channels, and buy high quality poweramps for front three...ie Bryston :wink: or maybe something a bit more affordable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back