Home Theater Advice
Aug 5, 2009 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
My father wants to build a home theater system. I'm looking for sources of information for research on systems and components, as well as recommendations on products. Does anyone have any sources or recommendations?

He is not an audiophile and although has no serious hearing impairments, he is 70 years old so sound quality is not of the utmost importance, although sound should be decent. Budget is $1000 to $1500 not including TV. I looked at some Home Theater in a Box units but was not impressed. I think individual components is a better way to go.

This is also for a Manhattan apartment so space is somewhat of a concern as is wiring. Wireless rear channel speakers would be good, as would one of those "soundbar" speaker setups that has everything in front but that approximate Surround Sound, if they are any good.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 23
Don't waste your time with wireless speakers or soundbars. As for speaker system checkout Q Acoustics with the rest of your budget on the av amp. Another $100-$150 for all cables. Topped off with Pioneer 50/60" plasma or DLP projector.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't waste your time with wireless speakers or soundbars. As for speaker system checkout Q Acoustics with the rest of your budget on the av amp. Another $100-$150 for all cables. Topped off with Pioneer 50/60" plasma or DLP projector.

Q Acoustics doesn't seem to be available in the US, only the UK. He said this is for a Manhattan apartment.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 23
Panasonic has decent wireless rear speakers, I think the JBL ones were also decent since for rear channel duty you dont need excellent speakers, decent ones should do.

Then pick the fronts and center. Bookshelves for the front I guess since space is an issue, and a matching center. Lots of options for bookshelf speakers, but you can also consider some of the slimmer tower designs like the Yamaha NS.

Or get one of the speaker packages, Athena Micra 6 comes to mind, I've seen this Orb audio ad everyday and have always wondered how good they are, maybe some research on that as well.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 23
He's going to be pretty tight on budget, especially at the low end. Figure $250 for a Blu-Ray player, $250 for a reciever, and $100 for wiring/ancillary items and the speaker budget is getting small for 5.1. Given that and the space concerns, I'd forgo rear speakers and a subwoofer. A 3 channel LCR setup would be a good way to go for HT.

$500-900 should be enough to buy a pair of decent mass market (JBL, Infinity, Polk, etc) towers with workable bass extension and a voice matched center if buying new.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 23
I recommend Audio Advisor for great deals on top notch equipment. They also have a good selection of home theater furniture/cables/stands.

Audio Advisor

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 23
Thanks for the links. Room is approximately 15 x 15.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 23
Sounds like he could get away with a basic Polk or av123 system, do check out the avsforum to get the most bang for your buck research.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the links. Room is approximately 15 x 15.

Does he want a subwoofer in an apartment?

Take a look at some of the KEF and Marantz stuff at Accessories4less. Prices are great.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #14 of 23
He should get a LCD. Unbeatable sharpness great for old eyes.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He should get a LCD. Unbeatable sharpness great for old eyes.

The picture cannot be sharp if the source isn't HD. Bumping sharpness to maximum makes the picture look terrible, and is what most people leave it on. In fact the picture looks best with sharpness down close to minimum. Read up on ringing and edge enhancment. All of my flat panels look best with sharpness to 0-10%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back