Home Studio Headphones?
Mar 21, 2003 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bliss000

New Head-Fier
Im currently using a pair of £15 Technics headphones for work on my own music and I think its about time for an upgrade. I'm looking for the best neutral phones under £100. I think the DT 770 Pro are the highest on my list ATM.

For an idea of the music I create:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/35/djbliss.html

Thanks for any help
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 16
You might wanna try the Ultrasone HFI650 for a good closed monitor that doesn't murder your wallet. Do a search for Ultrasone to see reviews/opinions and check the 'gear for sale' board for bargains.

Happy listening.
cool.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 16
The beyer 250's are closer to neutral then the 770's imo.

Biggie.

Mar 21, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by bliss000
Im currently using a pair of £15 Technics headphones for work on my own music and I think its about time for an upgrade. I'm looking for the best neutral phones under £100. I think the DT 770 Pro are the highest on my list ATM.

For an idea of the music I create:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/35/djbliss.html

Thanks for any help
smily_headphones1.gif

I listened to a few of your tracks (good job btw)

personally, I think the Sony MDR-V6 is the way to go. Esp, when you have little or few vocals. I mean, the V6s are made for studio monitoring! They will reveal a lot though. That is good for recording engineers.

I don't think you would want the HD580 or 600 as they are kind of laid back and not good for electronica music.

Mar 21, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 16
It just so happens that I have a DT770, HD280 and MDR-7506 for sale in the UK. I'm presuming you'll be using these from a mixing console. I wouldn't recommend either the 7506 or the 770 if you are looking for something neutral. The HD280 is brightish but fairly flat. The DT250 is not neutral but is a subdued sounding phone. Not really for electronica production in my opinion, although it's fine for listening to it.

Mar 22, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 16
Well, Ultrasone is Bavarian, actually.
wink.gif

And I wouldn't say the DT770Pro/250 is neutral, too - but neither is the DT250/80. I'd recommend the DT250/250 instead.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 22, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #11 of 16
i think for mixing, you outta use loudspeakers. headphones are great for checking a mix, but i don't think you should use them exclusively (everything sounds good on headphones.... and for the same reason, i have one pair of monitors for composing that sound incredible, and one pair of speakers for mixing, that are very unflattering.) personally, i have the 7506 and the k240m, and for checking a mix, they are both inferior to the hd600. there's just so much sound that gets muffled up in the 7506. and i can tell you that from experience. even better is the k1000, but that headphone is special, and may not be that great for bass heavy material.

anyway.... if you don't need sound isolation, get hd600's or something with better sound quality than a 7506.

by the way, i like your music.... i'm at my GF's place right now, and she only has some computer speaker combo.... when i get home i'll listen to it on some real speakers. what synths/samplers do you use? i assume you made all the drum grooves yourself?

Mar 22, 2003 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 16
I think u should check out the hd280 pro's,i bought them and they're very good at showing the good's and the bads of recordings! And they do magic at mixing
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for all the input
cool.gif

Can you still buy the Sony MDR-V6? I can only find the 7506 which I have heard isnt very good.

I will mainly be using the phones to create the track. I will switch over to my Polk Audio loud speakers when I come to the mixing / mastering.

So my list is:

770 Pro
250/250
HFI-650
HD 280

What about the AKG K270?

Since I plan on recording via microphone more in the future I guess that rules out the HD580 / 600.

One of the best places to buy phones in the UK is : http://www.digitalvillage.co.uk Anyone know of anywere cheaper?

Orpheus, I mainly use Propellerheads "Reason". Mainly because it's very quick to use and is the only audio software I have found that dosent crash
tongue.gif
I have two keyboards and a Supernova 2 ProX and a MicroQ, but I dont use the last two for my music. Only for work on sample CD's. I create most of the beats myself, but I do use a few mangled REX loops.

Mar 22, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 16
yeah.... i probably should check out those loop softwares. personally, i just use Sonar. i'm not too good at beats.
frown.gif
been looking to hook up with someone that does good beats for a long time...... i think if i could just find a good beat person to work with, our combined efforts would be pretty good.

....hey, can i ask?--how do you get so many plays on mp3.com? do you send out lots of emails?--you have advertising somewhere?

by the way..... i think the v6 and 7506 are supposed to be the same headphone? i'm not sure.... but anyway, like i said, you should avoid the 7506 if you're gonna compose on it. after you hear the others, you'd wonder how you ever used it. i know--i did. try that senn 280 pro.... Mix or Keyboard magazine highly recommended them for sound quality. and their sound isolation is extremely good.

Mar 22, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 16
I use the AKG K240S in the studio, it's a very resolving, yet analytical headphone, and is better suited for studio use than the MDR-7506/V6 if you want accurate or even good sound. The K240S can be found for $99 US online fairly easily and sounds like it's worth much more than that. The K240S should not be confused with the K240M or K240DF, the K240S has more treble extension and detail than the M, and a lot more bass extension than both the M and DF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back