Home Stereo Systems. Suggestions Anyone?
Jan 31, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #16 of 22
Yeah, if budget isn't a problem, then why bother trying to combine HT with music listening?

In any case, #5 is a problem. You should make some kind of effort to match speakers to the room. It would also help us determine whether you need a small powered subwoofer, a big powered subwoofer, or two powered subwoofers. It also helps us determine some of the characteristics necessary for your speakers and amplification. So please, give us some idea of the size of the room.

In any case, even though money is (supposedly) not an issue, you need to give us a range to work in. I don't think you realize just how much can be spent on this stuff. I seriously doubt you want to pour the kind of money into this that, for example, Fabio does. He's probably got half a million dollars tied up in his HT setup, and that's just his main room. Get my point?

Jan 31, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #17 of 22
I'f I were to heist Fabios main rig, I'd sell all that crap and buy completely different equipment.
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #19 of 22
Nick says:

"I can also tell you that 98% of the sound you hear in your listening room is speaker choice, room acoustics, and speaker placement."

I think he'd be in a small minority here. Speaker choice, room acoustics, and speaker placement are the most important, but not anywhere near 98% IMO. The amp choice is VERY important, maybe 25% to be conservative. The British would definitely say that even 25% is conservative. They as well as most of the audiophile community believe garbage in = garbage out. The Brits almost always place more emphasis on the amp, and are often perfectly happy with midrange monitors that go down to 50Hz. Look at how many big name great amps come out of the UK compared to speakers Find a GOOD pair of speakers and A/B/C different amps to push them and you'll notice a pretty big difference!

The source: CD, DVD-A, SACD, turntable is also very important, maybe 5-10% to be conservative.

I agree also that all heavy gage OFC or silver wires are pretty good, but they also make some difference, especially if the rest of your system is up to the task e.g. my Monster Cables vs. My Silver Sonics are definitely different sounding! Different, however, doesn't mean better or worse.

Again, don't take my word for it, check out the links I mention above and see what others and professionals say about it. People go to crazy lengths to find that perfect amp. Why? It's not because it doesn't make that much difference. If I were to try to estimate the importance of components I would says it is 60% speaker, 30% amp, 7% source, and 3% interconnects. Approximately
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

chych, please send me an email address so I can get in touch with you.

Hmm? Why do you need to get in touch with me? You can send me a PM... I'll send one right now in fact...

Jan 31, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #21 of 22
Anyone notice Lothar hasn't been back to answer your questions? Maybe scared em off.

Lothar, if you're out there still, you've asked one hell of a huge question. My 2 cents worth is to find an audio specialty store in your area and spend some time with a salesperson who's willing to talk to you about your needs, likes, dislikes, etc, and then leave you alone to listen in a demo room. A big electronics superstore is no place to buy audio equipment... not necessarily because the equipment is bad, but because you can't listen to it (well). You are buying this stuff to listen to it, after all.

A good salesperson will make recommendations. Then go to another place (if you're lucky enough to have a few to go to), and do the same thing. Compare their recommendations... see who's equipment sounds better to you, and who you feel comfortable buying from.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Schiss

wink.gif
"he used to do surgery for girls in the 80's, but gravity always wins..."
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back