Home Set-up Advice
Sep 7, 2005 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LoneFurrow

100+ Head-Fier
All,

I'm fairly new to the world of Head-fi and need your collective guidance. I'd like to get a new headphone / amp combination for home use with an LP12 and Naim CD3 as sources, Naim 72/HiCap/140 amplification, and Living Voice Avatar speakers to annoy the neighbours.

My budget is reasonably flexible, but I've listened to the RS1 / RA1 combination with a CD5 as input, and was really impressed. I also tried the Stax SRS3030 combination and was underwhelmed - too "polite" for my taste. My only issue with the RS1s is that I found the foam earpads to be very uncomfortable after no more than 10 mins. I'm sure replacement pads are possible via Headphile or other sources. At least I hope so or I'll strike the RS1s off my list!

Music tends to be rock / metal / blues with very occasional acoustic guitar so the drive & rhythm of the RS1s really appeals. Are there other headphones I should be considering?

I'd like to try the Graham Slee Solo and Naim Headline but again, which other amps are worth considering?

Thanks.

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 6
I recently acquired a set of RS-1 which I have been driving with Headamps AE-1. I should receive Mapletree Ear Purist + HD100 in a couple of weeks.

So far I can tell you that it took a while to adjust the headband to my liking, then I have been burning them (they have about 80 hours). I can't wait for them to reach 200 hours and listen to them thru the Mapletree amp
icon10.gif
Will let you know if you send me a PM in a couple of weeks.

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 6
the Solo kicks buttocks, definitely give it a go when you have the chance with Grados!

i wished i wasn't so poor when I saw the portable tube amp proto Mapletree made last year - it was on ebay and i could only bid to 50 at the time rats. it was called the Cadbury because it was in a chocolate tin.

Sep 8, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks guys. Being in the UK seems to limit choice somewhat, but I've found a supplier for the GS Solo, and plan to have a good listen over the next week.

Tried a few tube amps with my main speakers, but only found that Canary Audio worked the way I wanted. Haven't tried any headphone tube amps but the Earmax Anniversary Edition has been recommended. UK retail is £895, which is getting silly, imho. Mind you, I haven't heard it!

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 6
I owned the naim 62/140 for a while, and I've also owned the rs-1/ra-1 combination. Do you know what I put on the ad when I was trying to sell them? Sounds like a classic naim system when mated with high-end loudspeakers. I used to listen with the bowls reversed just to take the grate, sometimes called grato here, off the highs and add more bass.
I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the rs-1, especially if you buy from a foreign seller on ebay or from a US dealer to get a much better deal. The ra-1 isn't all it's cracked up to be though, I got better amp synergy with digital portables and the ra-1 is way overpriced for what it is. It matches the rs-1 well with classical music but it sometimes sounded a bit dry. It's also unable to drive high impedance headphones like the beyerdynamic dt880 and sennheiser hd650. So go for the rs-1, but I'd buy a more flexible, better value headphone amp than the ra-1. I'd ask on the amps section of head-fi for advice, but I've only heard good things about the Gilmore lite which I'm thinking of getting myself.

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the advice, Taymat. I seem to be getting the same message about the RA1 from several sources :)

I did enjoy the RS1s for that classic Naim-like sound, as you say. I'm in no great rush so will probably just spend the next few weeks auditioning.

I also have an old pair of Nakamichi SP7s that need some attention, so might get those fixed, get a decent amp and then new headphones a bit later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back