Home preamp that can drive 701s?
Feb 27, 2009 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

blownsi

100+ Head-Fier
Long story short.....
I've been using a LDmk2 with my 701s. After reading about them being so power hungry I tried them with a Adcom GTP450 that was sitting in the attic. Big difference!!

The problem is that a decent headphone amp for these things I am looking at $400. However I am willing to bet that there are some decent used $200 home preamps that will do just as good of a job. Suggest them to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and before you say just keep the adcom.... it's too muddy for my tastes that's why it was sitting in the attic.

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by blownsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long story short.....
I've been using a LDmk2 with my 701s. After reading about them being so power hungry I tried them with a Adcom GTP450 that was sitting in the attic. Big difference!!

What differences do you find between them??

I use a Kontrol 1, usb sound card with my K702 and it works great for me.
I've tried the K702 with the SPL Phonitor, and my conclusion is that I like transparent amps for my set up.

More info here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new...stions-304227/ http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/best-amp-k701-183339/ http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/k70...-music-399309/

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 8
Volume is the biggest factor.... the LD has to be at 75% to equal the adcom at 20%. In addition the soundstage is much larger, the highs aren't as shrill, etc. The adcom was originally kicked out of my 2 channel rig in favor of a 565II due to the mid range being "muddy" which I can also hear in the 701s.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm using Adcom GFP 565 for my MS-Pro and AKG 501.. Everything is improved nicely.

About 25% more soundstage, even clearer sound, smoother bass, better sound overall from top to bottom.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 8
I've got a CI Audio VHP-1 with the VAC-1 upgrade PSU -> K701's

output power is assuredly not a problem, and the price will sit roughly in your budget range (if you nix the upgrade PSU, which is probably a bad idea (I've never tried the 701's w/o the upgrade PSU, but it is a notable difference with other 'phones))

one thing I've read a few times about K701's with tubes, is that OTL designs lead to quite a bit of trouble, which makes pairing a tube setup to K701's somewhat difficult, whereas a good, high current SS amp will drive them day in and day out, although I won't say this is fact, as I've got next to no experience with tubes (never owned them, never will, hearing tubes once or twice was enough for me to know the sound isn't my cup of tea)

now as far as a home audio component, my Yamaha receiver (model RX-770) has no trouble getting them loud enough, its not quite as refined as the CI, but its still enjoyable to listen and handles them nicely (it also handles my HD 580's very nicely, its surprising actually)

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 8
I read on the internet that the new Beresford TC-7520 DAC preamp can drive the K701 very well. I ordered one yesterday and I am waiting for courier to show up with it so I can try it with my K701 and HD650. If I am happy after burn in I shall let you know. I only paid U$250 which is inside the budget you suggest.

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC Lee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read on the internet that the new Beresford TC-7520 DAC preamp can drive the K701 very well. I ordered one yesterday and I am waiting for courier to show up with it so I can try it with my K701 and HD650. If I am happy after burn in I shall let you know. I only paid U$250 which is inside the budget you suggest.

a shill by any other name?

honestly I'd like to read some impressions, but at the same time, I'm very weary of anything flying the Beresford flag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back