Home network help
Apr 4, 2006 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a laptop, running wirelessly with
a Linksys router.

I also have a desktop, plugged into the back of said router.

All I want is to be able to access files stored on my desktop, on my laptop so I can play them wherever I happen to be in the house.

I have run the XP network setup wizard on both of them. On the desktop my laptop appears in the the My Network Places window, but it says it cannot access it. On the laptop, when I click on my MSHOME icon in My Network Places the computer momentarily freezes and says I don't have permission to access, contact administrator.

Both are XP pro SP2

Apr 4, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 5
You'll have to share any folder that you want to access files from. Just right click on it and go to Properties and then the sharing tab.
That should get you started.

Apr 4, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 5
I can't even view the computer though. When I get on my desktop I can go into My Network Places, click on MSHOME and see HAL (desktop) and SOL-9000(laptop) but if I click on SOL-9000 I get an hourglass and then

Quote:

SOL-9000 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the admin...

The network path was not found.

On the laptop if I even click on the MSHOME icon to expand it I get a similar message.
Quote:

The list of servers for this workgroup is not accessible.

I have tried setting and running the networks setup wizard once again and the same thing happens. It seems to work properly on the desktop but not at all on the laptop.

Apr 4, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Problem solved. Kerio Personal Firewall was causing all the trouble. I shared the entire data partitiona off both computers, even though the wizard said it was a bad idea. Is it?

YAY I can watch Monster in the living room now! SWEEET

Apr 4, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Problem solved. Kerio Personal Firewall was causing all the trouble. I shared the entire data partitiona off both computers, even though the wizard said it was a bad idea. Is it?

YAY I can watch Monster in the living room now! SWEEET

You might want to disable sharing if you are connected to the internet. Besides, all partitions is shared by default already, but only users with admin priviledge can access it. You can access it by bring up "Start -> Run" and then type:

\\<computer_name>\c$

where computer_name is the name of the machine you want to access, c is the drive letter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back