Home-Made IEMs
Jun 29, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #1,366 of 16,068
Quote:
Here is my recent project: CI+TWFK

great sound!!!! (wood isn't finished, yet)

Wow edba2000, impressive to say the least! (as do many others here for their effort). Does the placement of the drivers (angle, distance from opening) within the shell matter? And what method do you use to fix your drivers into position within the shell so that they do not move?

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #1,367 of 16,068
Quote:
Looks good! I thought about using wood aswell, haven't got around to trying yet. I did my covers with polymorph(pretty much the same as shapelock).

Judging from the pics, you didn't use any cap on the tweeter of the TWFK?

Yes, that's it - no crossover. The red filter is cutting the highs and the grey is optional. I have made a test without the grey but the highs are too harsh. (Others are using a white filter with the TWFK).

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #1,370 of 16,068
Quote:

Wow edba2000, impressive to say the least! (as do many others here for their effort). Does the placement of the drivers (angle, distance from opening) within the shell matter? And what method do you use to fix your drivers into position within the shell so that they do not move?

I don't think the angle of the drivers inside the shell really matter. The only important factor is the length of the acoustic tube. So, the distance from the opening is important. For the TWFK, the length should be the smallest as possible and for the CI (woofer), mainly because of the driver's size, the length can be bigger.

The drivers are fixed with glue.

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #1,371 of 16,068
Yes, smaller tube length and bigger tube diameter helps higher frequencies and other way round for woofer or lower frequencies , ie smaller tube diameter and larger tube length.As the sleeves/case are mostly hollow the drivers are directly attached on tubes and hold the drivers in place.

edba2000 how is the sound characterestic? because you didnot use any crossover how does the iem behave on complex tracs. Did you notice any phase shifts or overlapping of frequencies?

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #1,372 of 16,068
Quote:
Yes, smaller tube length and bigger tube diameter helps higher frequencies and other way round for woofer or lower frequencies , ie smaller tube diameter and larger tube length.As the sleeves/case are mostly hollow the drivers are directly attached on tubes and hold the drivers in place.

edba2000 how is the sound characterestic? because you didnot use any crossover how does the iem behave on complex tracs. Did you notice any phase shifts or overlapping of frequencies?

All I can say is that the first listening test was disappointing!! 

Now, after some "burn in" hours they are much better. I hope to get even better SQ after 50 hours...

The sound is very balanced. The bass is not exaggerated, the amount is enough and very well defined (but clearly not for bassheads). Mids are enjoyable and the best of this design (IMHO). As you can see, I have used a grey filter, I think it's enough to cut some of the Mids/Highs. I still need to find some more tracks with interesting highs, to compare with my Beyerdynamic DT 880.

About the complex tracks: I need some more time to test some "Dave Matthews Band" tracks. Do you want me to test some specific track?

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #1,373 of 16,068
Quote:
are the covers removable?

I'm wondering because you can get some pretty small countersunk screws, it'd be great to get back into the shell again

No, the covers are not removable. It is quite easy to cut the glue between the wood and the shell.

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #1,374 of 16,068
Here is my version for your perusal. Triple driver, a TWFK with an ED-23147:

I went for the crossover route. I have a cap on the tweeter of the TWFK and a 2nd order lowpass filter on the ED-23147 woofer. Also a brown filter on the TWFK. Here's the schematic of the thing:

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #1,375 of 16,068
Just an idea...

We could start a small database with IEMs designs specifications. It could include the electric schematic, shell materials, some pictures, sound characteristics, comercial IEMs equivalents, ...
I have been reading this thread almost since the begining and the it was not easy to start a DIY project. The information is not organized!

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #1,376 of 16,068
Quote:
Just an idea...

We could start a small database with IEMs designs specifications. It could include the electric schematic, shell materials, some pictures, sound characteristics, comercial IEMs equivalents, ...
I have been reading this thread almost since the begining and the it was not easy to start a DIY project. The information is not organized!

that would be great, i am just embarking on this journey and you're right, the information is very dispersed regarding what people have accomplished and it what way.

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #1,380 of 16,068
After three weeks of listening and tweaking and three iterations this is final and works quiet well. TWFK for highs and mids and ie8 for bass.
It has recessed sound tubes to prevent wax from entering the sound tubes, on face plate there is bass port for IE8. I have used mmcx female plug on shell and right angled male on cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back