Home-Made IEMs
Mar 6, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #15,886 of 15,989
It just reduced sub bass and added distortion, I think it needs an orifice between the driver and the tube also, to create An actual chamber. But yes, the simple tube vent results are interesting so I will do something with that. This was tested at a reduce volume, it is louder than indicated on the graph.
That because the vent releases pressure in the opposite phase. You are feeding the inverted phase signal into positive signal canceling portion of frequency, obviously the result is lower SPL and added distortion.
I understand you want concept similar to transmission line in speakers, but consider - bass frequencies are measured in meters, a few cm of tube does nothing to invert the phase of low frequency, you'd need at least 3-4m of tube to achieve the result you are looking for.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #15,887 of 15,989
I am sorry to barge in. Do anyone know if this store is legit?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_oBS4O2O

Price is similar with taobao price.
I bought a single sonion 2389 from them to replace the one I lost, and I couldn’t hear any difference between it and another 2389 I had. I also got a couple of the 38D1XJ sub drivers and put them in another set I’m working on, and they definitely have that subwoofer in your head thing going on, so I’m guessing they’re all legit.
Pricing is really good, so I was sceptical, but so far, so good.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #15,888 of 15,989
Hi everyone I have been following the forum for a while now and I've been learning at lot about designing iems, I started with preassembled ba's with custom shells but now I'm looking to put together all components and make something better with more bass and nice resolution.
IMG_20240121_185334.jpg
IMG_20240123_192413.jpg

I bought a few ba components 38d1xj , 2398d, 2x 22955, twfk-23991, ed-29689, rad-33518, 31718, 31785, and 2x 8mm DD.

I'm working on a 6ba set up with 38d1xj for bass, 2389D for mids, and 31785 or a twfk for highs.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #15,889 of 15,989
I bought a single sonion 2389 from them to replace the one I lost, and I couldn’t hear any difference between it and another 2389 I had. I also got a couple of the 38D1XJ sub drivers and put them in another set I’m working on, and they definitely have that subwoofer in your head thing going on, so I’m guessing they’re all legit.
Pricing is really good, so I was sceptical, but so far, so good.
Nice then. Thanks for the info. Seems legit.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #15,893 of 15,989
From "Alsilence" aliex store, received in 10 calendar days to the US. Labeled well, safely packed, pretty big 3d printed shells for 9 bucks.
20240311_182926.jpg

Edit: related aliexpress note, KZ PR2 (13.2mm planar) are VERY cheap right now

Edit again, almost a full IEM here at this point, busy day. The eBay gods have smiled upon me. I guess I'm switching to metal film resistors, I know a sign when I see one. 1/4 watt 1% qty.10 each, about 0.4 ohm increments 10-100ohm, values I did not think existed. I have a few IEMs with external crossovers so I can rebuild them and measure some A/B comparisons. I can't imagine the time it took to put this collection together, so thank you to somebody out there.
Screenshot_20240311_205054_Gallery.jpg20240311_202746.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #15,894 of 15,989
From "Alsilence" aliex store, received in 10 calendar days to the US. Labeled well, safely packed, pretty big 3d printed shells for 9 bucks.
20240311_182926.jpg

Edit: related aliexpress note, KZ PR2 (13.2mm planar) are VERY cheap right now

Edit again, almost a full IEM here at this point, busy day. The eBay gods have smiled upon me. I guess I'm switching to metal film resistors, I know a sign when I see one. 1/4 watt 1% qty.10 each, about 0.4 ohm increments 10-100ohm, values I did not think existed. I have a few IEMs with external crossovers so I can rebuild them and measure some A/B comparisons. I can't imagine the time it took to put this collection together, so thank you to somebody out there.
Screenshot_20240311_205054_Gallery.jpg20240311_202746.jpg
The IEM nerd inside me is jelly!

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #15,896 of 15,989
Anyone knows where to buy RDI from knowles?
Im honestly supremely disappointed in Knowles being so “violated” by Bellsing that they sued another multinational corporation and named 3 or 4 well know companies as part of the suit. Then they win! Get their verdict. With a WIDE open armature market, what do they do? Constrict tighter and raise prices on legacy products. Why market the “new industry changing” products to the general public when you have zero desire or plan to help the smaller guys. Im just salty That as a US citizen and resident, I can purchase said American company’s products from a supplier on the other side of the planet and get it delivered quicker and at half the price than the Mouser’s and Digi’s of the world. Seltech,God bless’em for trying, but its a stupid mess. Rant over.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #15,897 of 15,989
Im honestly supremely disappointed in Knowles being so “violated” by Bellsing that they sued another multinational corporation and named 3 or 4 well know companies as part of the suit. Then they win! Get their verdict. With a WIDE open armature market, what do they do? Constrict tighter and raise prices on legacy products. Why market the “new industry changing” products to the general public when you have zero desire or plan to help the smaller guys. Im just salty That as a US citizen and resident, I can purchase said American company’s products from a supplier on the other side of the planet and get it delivered quicker and at half the price than the Mouser’s and Digi’s of the world. Seltech,God bless’em for trying, but its a stupid mess. Rant over.
@mattmatt to answer your question on RDI. Mouser and Digi wont stock them and require a 100 piece minimum I believe. Which, also endearingly almost always includes a 6-8 week lead time. Seltech usually has availability, but their purchase minimums are built on the whims of a whatever sales person picks up the phone, if they even do that.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #15,898 of 15,989
In my personal opinion, here's the thing, Knowles is a huge company (700M$ reported revenue for 2023, 1.4B$ in assets LINK) and funnily enough I think Balanced Armatures are their smallest share of profits.
They moved to automated lines such as whole new R-series (RAU, RAN, RDI, and many many others) to cut down on costs, but now with automated line they have to sell by thousands, otherwise it's not profitable. They are really not concerned that much about DIY space because it's a tiny fraction of a smaller fraction of their revenue.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #15,899 of 15,989
In my personal opinion, here's the thing, Knowles is a huge company (700M$ reported revenue for 2023, 1.4B$ in assets LINK) and funnily enough I think Balanced Armatures are their smallest share of profits.
They moved to automated lines such as whole new R-series (RAU, RAN, RDI, and many many others) to cut down on costs, but now with automated line they have to sell by thousands, otherwise it's not profitable. They are really not concerned that much about DIY space because it's a tiny fraction of a smaller fraction of their revenue.
oh wow, that I didn't know of, that BAs are small portion of their company. Just wondering to if there's a place that the RDI can be purchased in a not so huge quantities? If not, what good dual woofers can match it?
@mattmatt to answer your question on RDI. Mouser and Digi wont stock them and require a 100 piece minimum I believe. Which, also endearingly almost always includes a 6-8 week lead time. Seltech usually has availability, but their purchase minimums are built on the whims of a whatever sales person picks up the phone, if they even do that.
I thought you had a good relationship with Seltech? :D

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #15,900 of 15,989

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back