Home-Made IEMs
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #15,782 of 15,989
Are you establishing an SOP for a wireless bluetooth set? Is the microphone for noise cancellation + transparency mode?

This will be for a normal audio signal, no microphones just usound conamara speakers in the photo. Currently trying to find a quiet and flat enough mid/high BA. May need a RAF/RAB but working on something similar to 29689 now. Need to get the phase right with the mems, then figure out something for bass.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #15,784 of 15,989
This will be for a normal audio signal, no microphones just usound conamara speakers in the photo. Currently trying to find a quiet and flat enough mid/high BA. May need a RAF/RAB but working on something similar to 29689 now. Need to get the phase right with the mems, then figure out something for bass.
Id look at the 6-7mm micro-dynamic drivers. Possibly even the dual stacked models. Would give you a predictable slope without as much baggage as some of BA’s require.

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #15,785 of 15,989
Id look at the 6-7mm micro-dynamic drivers. Possibly even the dual stacked models. Would give you a predictable slope without as much baggage as some of BA’s require.

I have the circuit figured out to where I can low pass the sub with parallel cap and not affect the other drivers. Need good sub bass and low distortion, I do have some small DDs and that's on the list. Next up is 38d1xj, it is not pre-wired so I will try some weird things.

Edit: yeah this is going to work.
20240115_204153.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #15,786 of 15,989
I have the circuit figured out to where I can low pass the sub with parallel cap and not affect the other drivers. Need good sub bass and low distortion, I do have some small DDs and that's on the list. Next up is 38d1xj, it is not pre-wired so I will try some weird things.

Edit: yeah this is going to work.
20240115_204153.jpg
Thats with the DD’s?

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #15,789 of 15,989
Has anyone tried including an acoustic attenuation filters like Etymotic's ER-9, ER-15, or ER-25 for using CIEM's with a live music to let a little of the outside noise in?
Also, these cant work like the items used by 64. Those inserts are still sealed from both sides. Its not just an opening with a filter inside. Its essentially a one way exit for the added pressure that can build up. Some people are way more effected by it than others. Those inserts allow the pressure to leave the shell cavity but do not allow outside pressure into the shell. With the acoustic filter in place, it was much like having two doors open to the outside in the same room. Theres negative pressure where everything around you is really still until someone closes the door and the other door slams really hard right after. Essentially, you are balancing the pressure inside the shell to be equal to that of the outside. The sub woofer just has no way to function correctly without a fully occluded ear canal. upper mids and highs were bright and crispy though. 😂😂 IF you are able to create enough real estate inside your shell, whether it be custom or universal, you could use like a micro dual stacked DD. Those dont require occlussion to deliver the low end. Allowing for the room and still being able to fit the shell in your ear without it crawling out would be a tall task in my mind. Juice not worth the squeeze on this one. Maybe someone else has experience with these types of devices. theres a few non-proprietary types here and there as they‘ve been used in hearing aids for quite some time. Especially inside ultra deep shell canals due to a patients profound loss of hearing.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #15,790 of 15,989
Right, they're basically a less sensitive eardrum that intercepts all the sound and cuts down the dbs. The goal wouldn't be to make ADEL/APEX/ATOM modules (which would just sparkling venting), it would be to allow ambient noise in without sacrificing tuning by breaking seal on stage – I'd like a more analogue solution (like Westone's AM PRO X series) than putting mics on the outside of the shell like JH Audio Ambient Pro (cool, but still overkill). There's another maker that's producing something like the Ambient Pro with MEMS mics in the faceplate but I forget the name.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #15,791 of 15,989
Right, they're basically a less sensitive eardrum that intercepts all the sound and cuts down the dbs. The goal wouldn't be to make ADEL/APEX/ATOM modules (which would just sparkling venting), it would be to allow ambient noise in without sacrificing tuning by breaking seal on stage – I'd like a more analogue solution (like Westone's AM PRO X series) than putting mics on the outside of the shell like JH Audio Ambient Pro (cool, but still overkill). There's another maker that's producing something like the Ambient Pro with MEMS mics in the faceplate but I forget the name.
If you‘re ambiance for live performance stage use monitoring, ambient mics benefit everyone performing. If you‘re wanting more ambiance from your surroundings while listening to music, movies, media, etc. then Id lean toward the JH solution. Possibly overkill yes. But, you have complete control of its effect. I never felt anything different using sets with apex type modules and the traditional set-up. One thing I LOVED when I first put the sample set using ER-15’s into my ears; no discomfort upon inserting the customs straight in. Usually, and now its a habit, I have to pull up on my ear lobe while a push and twist them into place. That was a pleasant experience. There wasnt AS much ambiance as I expected but the sub was vacant. Plus, I was using the 38d1x ferro fluid sub from Sonion…. Still stale and vapid. I suppose if you could design a chamber for the ER-15 to sit in and then take some mocro diameter silicone tubing and create its own tiny tunnel into the filter chamber, you could possibly regain control of the occlusion. OR, try using the one up from the 15….

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #15,792 of 15,989
Is there anyone that has experience using liquid pvc on top of an adhesive base to create raised 3D objects, designs, logos, names, team names, etc?

they are all over the place in the contact sports world. Plus, the process utilizes somewhat of the PnP method just with an injection molding…. Curious to see if faceplates could use them as interchangeable covers… or, internally as a barrier to prevent drivers from moving to far forward. Lastly, it just looks vibrant when done artistically….

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #15,793 of 15,989
For the sub I used a 38AP011GM/8a with some physical tuning, looks like a monster. I can reduce bass 4db by closing the 38AP vents, they are open in these curves. Having to balance the physical and electrical tuning because the circuit is very sensitive. I have not measured in the shell yet. I might try a mesh filter or foam to damp those peaks a little.

Going for Harman target with extension on both ends and crushing sub bass, hoping for a big soundstage. I think I am playing by the rules until it gets below 100hz :). 0.5%THD at 100hz, 1% at 30hz. Highs are 3x usound mems conamara, and something like a quieter 29689 for pinna and high end support.

38AP 10036 3xmems conamara curves.jpg

Jan 19, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #15,794 of 15,989
For the sub I used a 38AP011GM/8a with some physical tuning, looks like a monster. I can reduce bass 4db by closing the 38AP vents, they are open in these curves. Having to balance the physical and electrical tuning because the circuit is very sensitive. I have not measured in the shell yet. I might try a mesh filter or foam to damp those peaks a little.

Going for Harman target with extension on both ends and crushing sub bass, hoping for a big soundstage. I think I am playing by the rules until it gets below 100hz :). 0.5%THD at 100hz, 1% at 30hz. Highs are 3x usound mems conamara, and something like a quieter 29689 for pinna and high end support.

Yeah man! A 2389 would do wonders to level out the highs. 29689 seems a bit too sibilant for me and requires more series resistant, which begins effecting the entire circuit.

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #15,795 of 15,989
Good progress today, packaging is done. With the 4 pin connector (1.27mm spacing) I have control of series resistor and low pass capacitor for the 38ap, and series components for high frequency balanced armature and the mems. I can also tune by ear if I set up a small breadboard.

Let the B7000 dry, test bass for seal /channel matching, and I'm about there.
20240123_220434.jpg

Edit: @swtnate Looking for details also, and I still have the option of foam or mesh dampers if it's too much. Trying to get as much of the mems sound as possible. That BA is really just bridging some peaks from the mems response.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back