Home-Made IEMs
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #15,708 of 16,107
can someone point me to some solid, well taught, and very relevant to this type of work, instructional content detailing how to create sound tubes within CAD? I use both Autodesk andShapR 3D.
I haven't found many, but here's one of someone walking through making one with bass tubes and vents in fusion360.

If you're not already into CAD, Shapr3d and Rhino are your best alternatives to Fusion360. I ditched Autodesk (glad to leave Autocad, RIP Inventor, only have to finish migrating from Fusion360) because they're a garbage company and advise doing the same. For experimentation, I've switched to Plasticity.

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #15,709 of 16,107
I haven't found many, but here's one of someone walking through making one with bass tubes and vents in fusion360.

If you're not already into CAD, Shapr3d and Rhino are your best alternatives to Fusion360. I ditched Autodesk (glad to leave Autocad, RIP Inventor, only have to finish migrating from Fusion360) because they're a garbage company and advise doing the same. For experimentation, I've switched to Plasticity.
Ive been using ShapR for 2 years now, when designing components and universal housings. It doesnt allow cor imported meshes. So, to create custom monitors, you would need to convert mesh data to IGES, which is no small feat. At least on my machine, it max’s out the 2021 macbook’s computatonal capabilities. So, if you plan to do work on custom molds and IEMs be prepared to go all out for the newest chipset. You will need it.

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #15,710 of 16,107

Theres two or three REALLY good posts and convos in this long running thread. However, everybody’s path to Fusion is different and not all spl scans are really good quality.

Dec 18, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #15,711 of 16,107
There is no law against inefficient IEM's. Maybe not practical for production, but just quiet down the other drivers to match, that gives you flexibility to get the exact curve you want. Start with a 2 of them per side, but 4 is also easy to package.

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #15,712 of 16,107

I love the idea of printing tubes, and learning how to do that in Fusion360, but if you go down that road, how do you incorporate dampers into the design? Are you stuck with controlling the sound with your crossover section only?

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #15,713 of 16,107
I love the idea of printing tubes, and learning how to do that in Fusion360, but if you go down that road, how do you incorporate dampers into the design? Are you stuck with controlling the sound with your crossover section only?
That does sound challenging. I've never done this but here are a few ways I would try out:
  • Just put it at the nozzle (I can think of a lot that do this, like the Truthear Hexa)
  • Print the shell in pieces and glue it together around the damper.
  • space damper so it can be glued/pressed in right in front of the driver before the drivers are put in
  • or print so you can glue in a tube shaped plug so the front and back volumes are the same.

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #15,714 of 16,107
There is no law against inefficient IEM's. Maybe not practical for production, but just quiet down the other drivers to match, that gives you flexibility to get the exact curve you want. Start with a 2 of them per side, but 4 is also easy to package.
KZ is notorious for this. 8 drivers, 2 of which are firing all systems ago and 6 drivers put out signal below typically human hearing
That does sound challenging. I've never done this but here are a few ways I would try out:
  • Just put it at the nozzle (I can think of a lot that do this, like the Truthear Hexa)
  • Print the shell in pieces and glue it together around the damper.
  • space damper so it can be glued/pressed in right in front of the driver before the drivers are put in
  • or print so you can glue in a tube shaped plug so the front and back volumes are the same.
these are well intentioned but in my experience, the amount of time and added expense of placjng dampers right at the spout is negligible. The further back from the sound bore, the less effective the damper.

The simple answer is they arent really used any longer because the builder will specify to the manufacturer how they want the driver to perform. When they are incorporated, ie Shure, they have removable assemblies with the damper housed inside.
1703011463067.png

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #15,715 of 16,107
@swtnate 300 ohm driver, 4x parallel, zobel, 75ohm flat impedance as full range. Add lows and highs, that could get you down to 20-30ohms maybe?

Edit: zobel resistor would be 1.25 the DCR, so 93.75 ohm and that would be the max impedance value you should see.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #15,716 of 16,107
@swtnate 300 ohm driver, 4x parallel, zobel, 75ohm flat impedance as full range. Add lows and highs, that could get you down to 20-30ohms maybe?

Edit: zobel resistor would be 1.25 the DCR, so 93.75 ohm and that would be the max impedance value you should see.
Thats A LOT of passive components. 😂😂. I’m hesitant even doing one. 🫣

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #15,717 of 16,107
They always look like such a birds nest of crazy. Ive tried so many things to make it more neat and presentable…. Everytime Im left with this haystack of hair like estrons.

Attachments

• IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1463.jpeg
    IMG_1463.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1462.jpeg
    IMG_1462.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #15,720 of 16,107
最近给朋友做了一些耳机。模仿QDC V3和VX。
[url=https://sm.ms/image/FT1BlwIdNykrDHJ] [/url ]

:gs1000微笑::gs1000微笑::gs1000微笑::gs1000微笑::gs1000微笑::gs1000微笑::gs1000微笑::gs1000微笑::gs1000微笑:: 太阳镜:: 太阳镜:: 太阳镜:: 太阳镜:: 太阳镜:: 太阳镜:: 太阳镜:: 太阳镜:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back