Home-Made IEMs
Aug 22, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #15,496 of 15,989
This is probably the stupidest idea I've had yet but maybe and just maybe it isn't that stupid.

For all I know there's simply not enough room to cram all the necessary components.

Quiet midrange (planar :) ? ) and a couple resistors/caps switched in for low and high drivers. For low driver say 2 switched resistors (giving 4 unique settings) and one cap if you can manage a low pass filter. For high driver maybe 2 caps to adjust high pass, and 1 resistor. So you can do it in 6 switches. Use smd components and solder direct to switch leads. Smaller example, those are 0805 caps I think.

Screenshot_20230822-190150_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230822-190117_Gallery.jpg

P.s. there are some cheap universals now with dip switches, TRN MT1 (edit: MT1 MAX) has 3 for about 15usd. Might be worth pulling the dd and grinding out the inside of the shell if you're bored.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #15,497 of 15,989
Quiet midrange (planar :) ? ) and a couple resistors/caps switched in for low and high drivers. For low driver say 2 switched resistors (giving 4 unique settings) and one cap if you can manage a low pass filter. For high driver maybe 2 caps to adjust high pass, and 1 resistor. So you can do it in 6 switches. Use smd components and solder direct to switch leads. Smaller example, those are 0805 caps I think.

P.s. there are some cheap universals now with dip switches, TRN MT1 has 3 for about 15usd. Might be worth pulling the dd and grinding out the inside of the shell if you're bored.
switches of this size are not known for having quality contacts, especially over time. I think you would be unnecessarily building in a failure mode into your IEM, when you can just do this digitally with EQ presets.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #15,498 of 15,989
switches of this size are not known for having quality contacts, especially over time. I think you would be unnecessarily building in a failure mode into your IEM, when you can just do this digitally with EQ presets.
So it's probably safe to say Project ELCA (for lack of a better name) is at best impractical and at worst impossible.

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #15,499 of 15,989
Oh its possible and if you arent devoting a lot of time or money to it, maybe give it a go, but yeah, the sort of switch/es that will fit into that area are not designed for signal applications, they are designed for setting modes by switching logic bias on and off. applying voltage to an open drain control input pin on a chip etc. the contacts wont be great to begin with and will degrade fairly quickly with use. I could see a cheap IEM doing it for gimmick, but for anything quality I would avoid it myself.

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #15,500 of 15,989
If you had a power supply available, you could use the dip-switch to apply bias to a small SMD mosfet to act as a switch. then the switch isnt carrying signal, its just opening or closing a mosfet switch. but that would have to be assembled on a small and compact surface mount PCB. doable, but not sure whether thats in your wheelhouse? I would just do it digitally personally. too many compromises at this size for something like this IMO.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #15,501 of 15,989
You may be all wondering what inspired this insanity in the 1st place? The KZ AS24 and the Equal-Loudness Contour.

More specifically someone was asking why they needed to turn up the music so loud to enjoy it as I stumbled upon the AS24 and its 8 dip switches and then I thought. Should someone try to mash these 2 together somehow?

Edit: Although the AS24 is the inspiration. I don't necessarily view dip switches as the only solution. I merely want to tackle the problem itself

Edit 2: I also remembered as I typed the above, thd KEF KC62 subwoofer has some kind of DSP that adjusts its FR based on how loud the user wants to play. In this case it's to protect the drivers from overexcursion. But I wonder if the Equal-Loudness Contour could be tackled this way. The big catch is that this device would probably have to be USB powered since it's an active system. Not only that but I have virtually zero knowledge on the innards of active DSP.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #15,502 of 15,989
You may be all wondering what inspired this insanity in the 1st place? The KZ AS24 and the Equal-Loudness Contour.

More specifically someone was asking why they needed to turn up the music so loud to enjoy it as I stumbled upon the AS24 and its 8 dip switches and then I thought. Should someone try to mash these 2 together somehow?

Edit: Although the AS24 is the inspiration. I don't necessarily view dip switches as the only solution. I merely want to tackle the problem itself

Edit 2: I also remembered as I typed the above, thd KEF KC62 subwoofer has some kind of DSP that adjusts its FR based on how loud the user wants to play. In this case it's to protect the drivers from overexcursion. But I wonder if the Equal-Loudness Contour could be tackled this way. The big catch is that this device would probably have to be USB powered since it's an active system. Not only that but I have virtually zero knowledge on the innards of active DSP.
There are waaaaaaaay too many wishes to just throw out there casually, without having any idea of how to achieve it yourself. no, you could not include that kind of DSP and active crossover inside an IEM itself along with the drivers. It would be technically possible, with unlimited budget and unlimited resources, but why would you? I dont know. There is also no reason to do so, as you can do that in your source. it would be far easier to tackle that in software, with absolutely no benefit to doing it in hardware in the IEM. why does one random person I dont know need to turn up random IEM i'm not familiar with? hard to tell :p. maybe they have a preference for loud music.

I just looked up the IEM, sorry, the page is 90% marketing drivel. ramming that many drivers in and switching it all with what is the worst type of switches and no doubt leaving no room for half decent crossover components? yeah, I would not try and emulate that and its almost impossible to know what they are trying to say, or what exactly they are trying to do. it is less capable in every way than the equaliser you can run on your smartphone.

They also talk up DLP 3d printing, which while not unsuitable technology, is not in any way ground breaking and in many ways the cheaper of the 2 types of liquid resin printing. you can pick up a half decent small format DLP resin printer for a few hundred bucks.

Sorry, i'm sensitive to marketing gibberish and hype and happen to know something about every aspect they talk about; as do many in this thread; which admittedly ... probably isnt the person they are marketing to :).

You could do it for fun, but it would require some effort to do properly and as mentioned, you will be adding a failure mode and signal degradation mode/wear mode that is not really required. Doing it for fun is the only reason you should do it and only you know if that is worth it to you.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #15,503 of 15,989
I will say that i'm not arguing against active crossover, or digital crossover, but that is not what you are describing, or linking. In the case of active digital crossovers, there is a tangible benefit, especially if its only 2-3 way XO. I would still not try and squeeze it into the IEM. There is no reason to do so; all you will do is make the IEM larger and heavier than it would be and any solution you made would be compromised vs external.

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #15,504 of 15,989
I will say that i'm not arguing against active crossover, or digital crossover, but that is not what you are describing, or linking. In the case of active digital crossovers, there is a tangible benefit, especially if its only 2-3 way XO. I would still not try and squeeze it into the IEM. There is no reason to do so; all you will do is make the IEM larger and heavier than it would be and any solution you made would be compromised vs external.
I assume it'd be much easier to specify an specific phon scale then tune the IEM to match it.

Because the former probably sound like an idea for a DAC rather than the headgear.

Unless you're trying to build your own Nuraloop I suppose.

Aug 24, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #15,505 of 15,989
Qudelix qx-over are bi-amped, two 8mm drivers, nothing special there. The digital crossover is interesting. But if you reuse the cable and make a two way with nice drivers, that might be fun. Only works with Qudelix 5k, uses both the 3.5mm and 2.5mm connectors.

Sep 2, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #15,510 of 15,989
Has anyone tried replicating the affect of ADEL modules, 64 Audio Apex, or Fir Audio ATOM modules with venting ports?

I've been toying with vent holes threaded for Knowles filters to built into the body housing itself but I'm too lazy to prototype it right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back