Home-Made IEMs
Jun 24, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #15,406 of 16,076
Can anyone identify what microphone he is using for measurements?
1111111.png
1111112.png

I don't know the mic, but what the HELL was he doing with the vent?? It looked like he was tuning the BA and feeding the output of the vent through a tube back into everything. Passive radiators are well understood in normal speaker builds, but never mentioned in this forum....I'm guessing this is a similar concept. Any insight from you pro builders?

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #15,407 of 16,076
2 things really get me: 1) the flexible resin from sarayatech causes an almost immediate reaction just by opening the bottle. 😂😂😂 2) airbrushing/ aerosolized UV Lacquer.

The biocompatible resins give me no issues. I get the Pro3dure PR-1 all over me like a kindergartener during arts and crafts.
Oh, tbf I did get chemical burn recently by spilling acrylic UV glue on my skin and not being able to clean it within next 30sec. That thing itch af, but thankfully lots of cleaning and it only lasted for an hour, but if I left it for 2-3min I can see how it could have turned into blistering etc.
Ok, I got what I wanted. Try searching ebay for "balanced armature 100 pieces" right about now...
That 38AM does not look like the XJ at all. That FK is a 313 ohms for radios. But, $99 raises an eyebrow.
If it's too good to be true it probably is. The price is too low, not recommened to buy.
It is a 38AP011GM/8a, if you check the pics. Maybe add mass to diaphragms (small needle with bondic?) and wire it as push/pull (moving in the same direction at the same time) and try to get some bone conduction action going on.

The FKs are loud and tiny, might do good as 4x parallel?
You won't be able to do it with at-home-equipment. You'd simply glue the driver permanently. Gluing the diarphagm won't turn it into BCD, it will simply stop the driver from working.
Can anyone identify what microphone he is using for measurements?
1111111.png
1111112.png

OK, I don't speak japanese, but from what I see they are simply mass loading vent of the speaker. The measurements are not measurements of the vent, but rather a front of the driver and it shows the effect of adding different tubing and dampers to the vent. It makes sense that gluing a small tube onto the vent will shift a response of the driver. You are effectively adding air mass to the back volume.

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #15,410 of 16,076
do you guys know of a biocompatible resin for 3d printing with an inhibition layer?
You mean without inhibition layer?
Theoretically Sirayatech claims bio-compatibility for they Blu line - please search for production requirements
Pro3dure is slightly more expensive but full on bio-compatible (including FDA) when cured under N2.
After that you have Detax compatible with 405nm and some of Dreve materials - but these are totl products and very expensive but give perfect results every time so you kind of pay for stability

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #15,411 of 16,076
You mean without inhibition layer?
Theoretically Sirayatech claims bio-compatibility for they Blu line - please search for production requirements
Pro3dure is slightly more expensive but full on bio-compatible (including FDA) when cured under N2.
After that you have Detax compatible with 405nm and some of Dreve materials - but these are totl products and very expensive but give perfect results every time so you kind of pay for stability
The Pro3dure resin is more difficult to print on a consumer printer. You really have to have the temperature correct.

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #15,412 of 16,076
The Pro3dure resin is more difficult to print on a consumer printer. You really have to have the temperature correct.
thats not a problem for me, im printing on a high accuracy printer that prints from the top down (it prints a layer then raises it and prints another layer below it) so im guessing it also has temperature regulation
(btw which pro3dure resin am i looking for exactly? there are many on their site. and where can i buy it?)

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #15,413 of 16,076
Well, ebay is crazy. I got stuck on a project with the 38AP011GM and a 140mm brass tube, so that's obviously back on when I can get to it. They've been on taobao for a while so not surprised to see them, somebody got tired of sitting on them. I messaged the ebay seller saying cut the packs in half or quarters, and tape them up, do 25 or 50 at a time, they didn't seem to care. Still some up.

Anyway, I had lots of phase/cancellation issues, should have changed the other drivers but I'm close, so we'll see. Soundstage should be interesting if nothing else.

20230626_181432.jpg20220127_150738.jpg

Edit: 110mm, not 140mm. And last I worked on it, 90% done curves:7BA 38AP011 140mm tube.jpg

Edit again: slightly different part number, interesting. I had 38ANP, new ones are 38AP. No luck on either datasheet.

Edit again again: ok, what is the center tap for...
Screenshot_20230626-212327_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #15,414 of 16,076
Edit again again: ok, what is the center tap for...
Ground - 38AP011GM G stands for Ground - this driver has shielded housing and you connect it by the center tap, center tap is connected to the case. This is hearing aid driver.
Edit again: slightly different part number, interesting. I had 38ANP, new ones are 38AP. No luck on either datasheet.
AN is spout position and most probably means no spout - N

Users who are viewing this thread

Back