Home-Made IEMs
Feb 15, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #13,681 of 15,989
If you don't have good connections and don't secure your BA's to the shell, they can vibrate loose over time
About securing drivers to the shell, I can totally see why they'd need to be secured to the shell to prevent movement that could cause eventual tubing connection leaks, but does it matter if it's a 'hard' attachment to the shell (like UV resin or a hard epoxy) or a 'soft' attachment to the shell (like RTV silicone)?
It probably doesn't matter, but since they work based on vibration, I was curious if a 'hard' attachment transferred any vibration to the shell either affecting the sound or possibly being annoying to the ear canal, or if a 'soft' RTV silicone glue down might dampen the sound in some way by absorbing vibrations. Seems like an RTV silicon type attachment might provide some cushion from possible damage from impact.

I guess in a nutshell, is the final sound you hear simply 100% what is coming out the end of the shell?

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #13,682 of 15,989
About securing drivers to the shell, I can totally see why they'd need to be secured to the shell to prevent movement that could cause eventual tubing connection leaks, but does it matter if it's a 'hard' attachment to the shell (like UV resin or a hard epoxy) or a 'soft' attachment to the shell (like RTV silicone)?
It probably doesn't matter, but since they work based on vibration, I was curious if a 'hard' attachment transferred any vibration to the shell either affecting the sound or possibly being annoying to the ear canal, or if a 'soft' RTV silicone glue down might dampen the sound in some way by absorbing vibrations. Seems like an RTV silicon type attachment might provide some cushion from possible damage from impact.

I guess in a nutshell, is the final sound you hear simply 100% what is coming out the end of the shell?
I use bondic to adhere my components to the shell.. Regarding the sound, yes MOST of your sound will be from the end of the earpiece but any loss of seal due to bad fit (if you can hear clear outside noises with your IEM's in place) will result in a LOSS of low frequency...again your bass will suffer.

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #13,683 of 15,989
Oh absolutely. That's exactly what put me on the path to custom iem's. I have some universal fit Westone UM Pro30s (that I love by the way) that come with a variety of tips. The little rubber cup tips never work for me, I like the roll up, insert and let them expand tips. On those, my ears required the largest size that came with them. But I noticed if I turned my head just right or opened my mouth too far I'd loose the seal, and the bottom end as well. Their largest foam tip was 15mm on the large end of the tapered tip (toward the outside) Apparently I have large ear canals that are just about the same size at the tips. I found that if I installed the tips on the monitors backwards with the wide end pointing inward I could get a nice seal that wouldn't break. However the foam tips for the Westone have a little plastic tube glued in them that fits the monitor stem. To put them in backwards, I had to carefully scrape the foam tips off the plastic tubes and then put the tube back in the wrong end of the foam with some RTV sealant. It worked fine, just a major pain. I'd have to buy a set of 5 pairs of tips and modify the set, and of course they wear out. So that wasn't a sustainable option.

I searched the web for foam tips larger than 15mm and came up dry. I ran across Earplug superstore who can make custom tips that fit my UM Pro30s and my ear canal, and started down that path with their ear impression kit with green impression material, but before I got as far as ordering, I found this thread. I'm very much a DIY kind of guy, tools anywhere from small clock repair tools to engine lifts and hydraulic presses, and a career in commercial audio with years on my tools and now in design, so here I am, up to my ears in a new adventure that's taking far longer than I anticipated....all for the loss of low frequency lol And I'm a bass player, soooo... gots to have my low end in my ears.

When I started diving off into this, I thought 'this will be a piece of cake', and I have to say, I've found every step of the process has tiny hidden things you don't think about, or that require time, research, unusual material to secure etc. And I haven't even scratched the surface on individual drivers and crossovers etc. Other than wanting to build ONE custom set right now with the Knowles quad driver, I have a couple of other UM Pro30s that I plan to carefully open and surgically transfer components to custom shells with new MMCX connectors.

On a side note, this thread has been WONDERFUL for learning before doing by reading what others have tried and why it did or didn't work. I'm really trying for the first build to be something useful instead of an 'oh crap' and end up having to crack it open for modifications or start over.

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #13,686 of 15,989
Has anyone had any experience with how long impressions last / can be re-used? I built a set of iems a couple of years ago with GV... Today I accidentally pressed my MMCX connector into the shell... so I have to remake. I stored my impressions in an airtight container. I fit them again just now. They still feel like they fit well - they feel comfortable and I get a good seal... Anything I should be aware of before I try and remember how to make shells again?

Oh, and what's the shelf life of fotoplast? I have a 100ml bottle that's been left completely sealed in a brown glass bottle, kept inside a drawer and out of the light. The consistency of the liquid inside the bottle still seems normal. Should I expect any curing issues?

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #13,689 of 15,989
Has anyone had any experience with how long impressions last / can be re-used? I built a set of iems a couple of years ago with GV... Today I accidentally pressed my MMCX connector into the shell... so I have to remake. I stored my impressions in an airtight container. I fit them again just now. They still feel like they fit well - they feel comfortable and I get a good seal... Anything I should be aware of before I try and remember how to make shells again?

Oh, and what's the shelf life of fotoplast? I have a 100ml bottle that's been left completely sealed in a brown glass bottle, kept inside a drawer and out of the light. The consistency of the liquid inside the bottle still seems normal. Should I expect any curing issues?
Ear impressions can keep their shape for 2-3 months and often more but it depends on the quality and type of the silicone used. Some can hold their shape longer, some less. It also depends on the climate and humidity swings.

Why not use the current ciems as mold before breaking them? I would do that just plug the holes with blue tak and pour the colloid over like you would do over waxed and trimmed ear impressions. Also make yourself an extra pair of shells while at it for future work to use as molds.

Fotoplast is good for a year or more at least.

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #13,693 of 15,989
MASM_7_scheme.JPG

Hi. I want to build the MASM 6 Circuit because I cant find a way of buying the Bellsing 10013 6 way drivers, but the bellsing 5 way ones. Am I right that I can just swap the Bellsing 10013 with the 5 way one in the circuit above? I also heard of not venting the RAB 32063. What does that mean? Do I just have to cover the venting hole of it?

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #13,695 of 15,989
MASM_7_scheme.JPG

Hi. I want to build the MASM 6 Circuit because I cant find a way of buying the Bellsing 10013 6 way drivers, but the bellsing 5 way ones. Am I right that I can just swap the Bellsing 10013 with the 5 way one in the circuit above? I also heard of not venting the RAB 32063. What does that mean? Do I just have to cover the venting hole of it?
you can contact bellsing directly to buy them. they quoted me 50 USD each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back