Home-Made IEMs
Oct 5, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #11,686 of 15,989
I use the first calculator located below for crossovers. I plug in values until the crossover point is found....whether it is LP or HP depends on the configuration. For 500HZ I came up with 17.7Ohms and an 18UF cap. Then you may have to adjust if there is not a readily available value, or use resistors/cap in parallel or series to get the desired point. Regarding Zobels and padding, I use the second one, though there is lots of discussion as to which value for the impedance to use, as BA's impudence changes in relation to the frequency being applied. I usually put in an average of the datasheet values and guesstimate as to the DB drop I'm looking for. I take it you have a test rig, as it is still a lot of trial and error?

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-RCpad.htm

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-Lpad.htm
Hello! I see! Does that means the low pass and high pass filter should works the same for all of the drivers? I always thought that you need resistance value for the driver to make low pass filter specifically for that particular driver and the same low pass filter will cut differently on other driver. And yes I do have test rig. By the way how do I calculate or make sure that the phase is correct? Do I just do trials and errors until there is no weird dip and peak in the frequency graph? As I have heard that adding low or high pass filter will introduce phase shift.
Thank you!

Oct 5, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #11,687 of 15,989
Two ways.

One is experimentation with just a single cap on the ED and a combination of a resistor(really doesn't act as a LP filter though) and dampers on the CI.

The other, which is slightly more complicated, involves building an RC filter for each pass. The good news is that the values of the components are the same. You start by figuring out how much attenuation (if any) is needed on your (hopefully) low freq driver, and build that into the RC filter.
Hello, what does adding single cap to ED actually do? I see that it cut off most of the low and mid frequency, why does that happens? Since it is not really a high pass filter right? Or am I understanding it wrongly.

Oct 5, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #11,691 of 15,989
I'm not sure I follow your question.
I am sorry for the confusing question. Let me try to explain it. I found out that adding a single caps to ed29689 actually changes the frequency by introduce a new peak around the treble region thus changing the overall frequency while cutting low to mid frequency. Does low/ high pass filter does anything similar like introduce a new treble peak or it is only like erasing a part of the frequency(over simplified i know).

Oct 5, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #11,692 of 15,989
I am sorry for the confusing question. Let me try to explain it. I found out that adding a single caps to ed29689 actually changes the frequency by introduce a new peak around the treble region thus changing the overall frequency while cutting low to mid frequency. Does low/ high pass filter does anything similar like introduce a new treble peak or it is only like erasing a part of the frequency(over simplified i know).
Are you just hooking up this one driver? Generally a HPF or LPF does not introduce new peaks but it can definitely happen. A Zobel Network can sometimes be used to tame a weird crossover behaviour.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #11,693 of 15,989
Are you just hooking up this one driver? Generally a HPF or LPF does not introduce new peaks but it can definitely happen. A Zobel Network can sometimes be used to tame a weird crossover behaviour.
Yup, I was only testing up ed29689. I see! Thank you very much! You really helped me clear up my confusion a lot!

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #11,694 of 15,989
Can someone tell me how JH Audio measures the phase/time aligment? What software do they use and how do they wire up the drivers? I can´t wrap my head around it, in order to measure phase you would need to drive each driver individually right? But you also need to go through the propper crossover channels.
It would be really cool to be able to measure phase alignment.

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #11,695 of 15,989
Can someone tell me how JH Audio measures the phase/time aligment? What software do they use and how do they wire up the drivers? I can´t wrap my head around it, in order to measure phase you would need to drive each driver individually right? But you also need to go through the propper crossover channels.
It would be really cool to be able to measure phase alignment.
They use Smaart for measurements and they measure all drivers together how they react with one another regarding phase.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200909-050324_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200909-050324_YouTube.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back