Home-Made IEMs
Feb 7, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #10,997 of 16,072
Left one doesn’t look deep enough
It's a bit shorter but it looks even more so because the right one has more material on the bottom, I don't have a caliper right now but it's not much shorter
20200207_213835.jpg

Feb 8, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #11,000 of 16,072
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I personally only use silicone to make my molds.

oh i forgot about that
but i have seen a devel video on here (cant find the page) and it looks like theres a pressure pot used.
i remember seeing a professional dip a silicone mold into wax then put what looked like a agar based investment into a devel branded heated vacuum chamber then pulled out a bubble free hardened investment.

Feb 8, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #11,002 of 16,072
oh i forgot about that
but i have seen a devel video on here (cant find the page) and it looks like theres a pressure pot used.
i remember seeing a professional dip a silicone mold into wax then put what looked like a agar based investment into a devel branded heated vacuum chamber then pulled out a bubble free hardened investment.
Probably the westone video.

Feb 8, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #11,003 of 16,072
The other one is ok or should I get both redone? to my untrained eye it seems quite good
I think you can use both. The one on the left is full until the second bend that´s where you cut anyways. The seal happens below that point so i don´t see any problem with the impression.

Can anyone tell me why my RC lowpass filter produces a result like that?
Below you see the yellow line which is a highpass. The same driver just with the capacitor and resistor switched results in the green line.
R=1kOhm C=4,7uF so cutoff should be somewhere between 30-50Hz.
RC lowpass.PNG

Edit: Nevermind! Stupid me put a 103 smd resistor in (10kOhm) which results in a 3Hz cutoff frequency. But still it is weird that there is so much high frequencys coming through.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #11,004 of 16,072
I think you can use both. The one on the left is full until the second bend that´s where you cut anyways. The seal happens below that point so i don´t see any problem with the impression.

Can anyone tell me why my RC lowpass filter produces a result like that?
Below you see the yellow line which is a highpass. The same driver just with the capacitor and resistor switched results in the green line.
R=1kOhm C=4,7uF so cutoff should be somewhere between 30-50Hz.
RC lowpass.PNG

Edit: Nevermind! Stupid me put a 103 smd resistor in (10kOhm) which results in a 3Hz cutoff frequency. But still it is weird that there is so much high frequencys coming through.
So I'm fine with just cutting both past second bend? Or should I leave some extra channel lenght? It's my first time doing that so I don't really know what to do for trimming

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #11,005 of 16,072
So I'm fine with just cutting both past second bend? Or should I leave some extra channel lenght? It's my first time doing that so I don't really know what to do for trimming

After the second bend is a direct line of sight/sound to the eardrum. Just cut it that the plane of the cut points in the direction the second bend takes and you are good.

Feb 9, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #11,006 of 16,072
if i building a pair of CIEM in the method of Shell and Faceplate,
Do i need to Glue the drivers in place?
and do the filled ear canal covors the filters?
Can i use alcohol based dye on clear resin to get translusent color?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #11,008 of 16,072
if i building a pair of CIEM in the method of Shell and Faceplate,
Do i need to Glue the drivers in place?
and do the filled ear canal covors the filters?
Can i use alcohol based dye on clear resin to get translusent color?
You should checck the MSDS of said dyes, some are quite corrosive/irritant/reactive, alcohol based dye only means that it has a certain polarity, given the quantity it'd probably be fine but it might react with the resin (if it's not made for the resin you're using) so you're better off by checking the MSDS of both products and asking the seller/manifacturer for which dyes can be used for your specific application , some might be nonreactive to the resin but unsafe for skin contact

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #11,009 of 16,072
hey guys….
Need some help on those impressions….. a friend wants bs6 in those Shells....
how would you handle Sound tubes.... kinking problems?? not enough space for 2x3mm? would you only drill 2 holes in the end for Soundtubes as i allways did...or make a bigger hole for the 2 tubes and finish with fotoplast????

( I know that the Impression has some ugly parts...thats why i redid them and made Shells of the good ones)
Thanks for your help

1581244240527.png
1581244257663.png
1581244290410.png
1581244304723.png
1581244321923.png
1581244373849.png

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #11,010 of 16,072
hey guys….
Need some help on those impressions….. a friend wants bs6 in those Shells....
how would you handle Sound tubes.... kinking problems?? not enough space for 2x3mm? would you only drill 2 holes in the end for Soundtubes as i allways did...or make a bigger hole for the 2 tubes and finish with fotoplast????

( I know that the Impression has some ugly parts...thats why i redid them and made Shells of the good ones)
Thanks for your help

I would have started with making the shell as thin as possible to make it easier to do the tubing(then once in put a bit or resin to reinforce the tip I would do one port and then finish with fotoplast it looks doable!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back