Home-Made IEMs
Aug 29, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #9,902 of 16,074
What's recommendation for single or dual BA setup to get the upper treble extension without deep insertion?

Dual driver
Noble savant diy
Final 2
Dual series RAB
GQ30710 With RAB-p tubing and green damping
GQ30783 with RAB-p tubing and brown damping
Knowles HE(damper according to taste)

Single drivers
RAB-p
RAF-p neutral
FFC-p

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #9,903 of 16,074
Hello. One of drivers in my Astell&Kern Michelle is damaged (very quiet sound) and I decided to replace it. This driver have marked JH 5-H which I can't find to buy and can't find specifications for it, but I finded another driver which looks very similar, Knowles ED-29689. So the question is does this driver sounds like JH 5-H or not? Yes, I know this is question is silly without specifications but I have to try, may be some one know something.

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #9,904 of 16,074
Hello. One of drivers in my Astell&Kern Michelle is damaged (very quiet sound) and I decided to replace it. This driver have marked JH 5-H which I can't find to buy and can't find specifications for it, but I finded another driver which looks very similar, Knowles ED-29689. So the question is does this driver sounds like JH 5-H or not? Yes, I know this is question is silly without specifications but I have to try, may be some one know something.
JH Layla 2 used sonion 2300 line up, probably 2389. So your best bet is to go with 2389. But if you find the left and right sound different, you can change to Sonion 2323. Or you can check this google doc to check your IEM’s driver if it’s on the list. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jguxmYfEmZdHEGIUDvQUnfm3vhxo51WeNKKG0_oRtMA/pub?gid=0#

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #9,905 of 16,074
JH 5H is pre spec Sonion 28UAP01 for mid range to control the bass line
Bass driver is Sonion 3800 series pre spec
tweeter is normal knowles SWFK

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #9,906 of 16,074
Thanks guys. This very helps. In A&K Michelle 3 drivers: 2x Knowles 22955 (probably for mid and bass) and JH 5-H for highs. For me more easily to get ed-29689 than sonion 2389, technically they seems equivalent, but how much difference I get in practice?

Attachments

• IMG_20190830_104155_676.jpg
    IMG_20190830_104155_676.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0
Aug 30, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #9,907 of 16,074
Thanks guys. This very helps. In A&K Michelle 3 drivers: 2x Knowles 22955 (probably for mid and bass) and JH 5-H for highs. For me more easily to get ed-29689 than sonion 2389, technically they seems equivalent, but how much difference I get in practice?
Knowles ED29689 and sonion 2323 are similar
Sonion 2354 is slightly bassy
Sonion 2389 is slightly more treble extended(slightly more hotter)

Sonion 2389D is parallel 2389 with single spout. 4.477dB more boosted for similar FR. With specific 4.477 dB damping and then specific resistor according to Michelle 3 can help you achieve 1/4th distortion figure

Sorry, you asked JH5H and I replied for JH5
JH5H is Sonion E50dt as per looks

Dont know exactly

Easiest to get is ED29689
Hardest to get is 2388D

I am working with (DTEC-30265 and TWFK30017)x2 per side
8 drivers, 2 way crossover

And also 2xCI + RAB32063 + 2xSWFK(series)
7 drivers, 3.5way crossover(1 CI is full range)

In way of Perfecting

CI-22955
Sonion 33AJ007i/8
ED-29689 center tap

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #9,908 of 16,074
Hello everyone,

I just recently got into IEMs after I had to replace my old RHAs, but ever since then it´s been straight down the rabbit hole. I didn´t want to spend 300+ Euros on IEMs though because I was scared I would loose / break them. That´s why DIEMs look so attractive to me, in case I break them its quite easy to repair them, and at least from what I´ve read in this forum, they can sound amazing too. So what kind of driver combination would you guys recommend? Most important for me would be the sound stage / instrument separation and a neutral/revealing sound, although a little bit of bass wouldn´t be a bad thing either. I listen to various kinds of music, mostly classic, electronica / melodic techno, 60´s, but also hip-hop and modern pop. Also, I do have an amp, but i would appreciate it if I could use the IEM with my phone. Price / building difficulty doesn´t really play a big role for me as I do have some experience with small electronics.

From what I´ve read so far the Finale 2 has the best sound stage, although its missing some bass. The Finale 3 looses some of that soundstage, but gains some bass,is there a way to get the best of the two ?

The BS6 seems like another decent choice, is there a similar zobel for the GV?

Then there´s also the MASM series and boy are there many different versions. From what I understand, the MASM3 pro and the MASM7 might be best suited for my taste, but please correct me if I´m wrong. How does the sound stage compare to the Finales ?

Are there any other driver combinations I have missed? I have only read maybe one third of the topic so far....

Sorry if that´s too many questions at once, but there´s so many things to think about, it´s hard to keep an overview.

Thanks a lot in advance, you guys are amazing!

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #9,909 of 16,074
Welcome to the club.

It's a decent choice. Maybe @Ivan TT will come up with a Zobel for the GV eventually, but the BS6 is very very good.

Then there´s also the MASM series and boy are there many different versions. From what I understand, the MASM3 pro and the MASM7 might be best suited for my taste, but please correct me if I´m wrong. How does the sound stage compare to the Finales ?

I have built several different MASM3 but not MASM7. The sound stage of MASM3 is not larger than BS6 or the Finale. MASM3 just has more accentuated highs.

From what I´ve read so far the Finale 2 has the best sound stage, although its missing some bass. The Finale 3 looses some of that soundstage, but gains some bass,is there a way to get the best of the two ?
That's what I am working on, but no success so far. My time is sadly very limited.

From all the builds I switch between Finale 2 and BS6+Z. They both are very different and very good. The resolution and detail of Finale 2 is unmatched, which is awesome for classical music and vocals. The power of BS6+Z is unbelievable, which is awesome for everything else. But the BS6 is no slouch for classical music either, you have to hear the Finale 2 to even know there is room for improvement of BS6+Z.
If you use the Finale 2 with a bass heavy source (like the FiiO RC-BT, FiiO lightning adapter or FiiO DACs) there is not a lot missing in terms of bass.

Finale 3 is not yet recommendable, impedance gets too low and build complexity is insane (three bores and lots of dampers with glued short tube segments required!)

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #9,910 of 16,074
Hello everyone,

I just recently got into IEMs after I had to replace my old RHAs, but ever since then it´s been straight down the rabbit hole. I didn´t want to spend 300+ Euros on IEMs though because I was scared I would loose / break them. That´s why DIEMs look so attractive to me, in case I break them its quite easy to repair them, and at least from what I´ve read in this forum, they can sound amazing too. So what kind of driver combination would you guys recommend? Most important for me would be the sound stage / instrument separation and a neutral/revealing sound, although a little bit of bass wouldn´t be a bad thing either. I listen to various kinds of music, mostly classic, electronica / melodic techno, 60´s, but also hip-hop and modern pop. Also, I do have an amp, but i would appreciate it if I could use the IEM with my phone. Price / building difficulty doesn´t really play a big role for me as I do have some experience with small electronics.

Are there any other driver combinations I have missed? I have only read maybe one third of the topic so far....

Sorry if that´s too many questions at once, but there´s so many things to think about, it´s hard to keep an overview.

MASM 3 pro + SWFK 32255 (series 220nF capacitor) SWFK share tube with RAB.
It’s the Andromeda slayer in my opinion lol.

If you can’t find FED for Finale 2, you can switch to dual sonion 2389, shared tube with the same Finale 2 tubing, and add series 22ohm resistor, and then C-pad of series 3ohm and parallel 50ohm.

Or else you can try my build
Sonion 17A003
Sonion 2389, 2.2uF series
Parallel, shared tube. Then add series 20ohm, and C-pad of 3.3 ohm series and 50ohm parallel. 16mm tube,no damper.

ED-30761 with Finale 2 tubing

This build has quite flat impedance, and not sonhard to drive

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #9,911 of 16,074
Hello everyone,

question is, what is your preference??

MASM series all sound the same, but as you go up the model, Bass starts to get more dynamic and punchy and treble starts to become smoother and more detailed
FINAL series is for damper-less main driver and crossover-less solution
RAB series only uses RAB to get significant sound

RAB(beginner friendly consumerish to neutral tuning)
FINAL(Imaging and Stage perfect balance)
MASM(Monitoring Signature)

Well, MASM stands for Most Amazing Set for Mom and ModulAr System Micro(@Choy Wei De the name i shared wasn't sounding nice earlier)

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #9,912 of 16,074
Welcome to the club.
From all the builds I switch between Finale 2 and BS6+Z. They both are very different and very good. The resolution and detail of Finale 2 is unmatched, which is awesome for classical music and vocals. The power of BS6+Z is unbelievable, which is awesome for everything else. But the BS6 is no slouch for classical music either, you have to hear the Finale 2 to even know there is room for improvement of BS6+Z.
If you use the Finale 2 with a bass heavy source (like the FiiO RC-BT, FiiO lightning adapter or FiiO DACs) there is not a lot missing in terms of bass.

Finale 3 is not yet recommendable, impedance gets too low and build complexity is insane (three bores and lots of dampers with glued short tube segments required!)

I can only add to this opinion from my experience. Just recently I was on the business trip with two sets of earphones - Finale 2 (Spoutless FED+ED) and BS6 (zobel). Firstly I only listened to BS6 as it was my latest build, I was not familiar with it and in general was curious. After that I switched to to Finale 2 and never went back to BS6 for the whole trip. The sound signature is straight to the point on my preference. It has a very wide soundstage but in the meantime sound very intimate, vocals are very close, nicely pronounced and so realistic. High frequencies are tamed, but still very detailed. BS6 has narrower soundstage, sounds brighter (well not mine, I used red damper on the high frequency ba, no harshness and hiss finally), but very composed. Bass quality is really good, it is flat with some serious weight, not bloated at all.

And an addition to this. I was browsing through my audio library (500 GB SD card finally enabled me to have all my music on the go) and found a Chesky records headphone demonstration disc with frequency files. So when playing them at normal sound level I was still able to hear bass at around 30 Hz and less with Finale2. BS6 had a little bit more subbass, still could hear at 23-21 Hz. This made me realize Finale 2 has enough bass and I'll probably will not try Finale 3 even though I have CI drivers on the way. Maybe CI+ED..?

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #9,913 of 16,074
First of all: Thanks for the replies ! I really didn´t expect to get so much amazing feedback within such a short time :)

I´ve come to the conclusion that I should probably go for either the Finale 2 or the BS6 as those builds seem to work really great consistently, which is probably a good idea for a first build. Out of those two, I lean more towards the Finale 2, as it seems to check all my points. I got the Neumann KH120s at home wich I absolutely love, and the Finale 2 seem to have a similar sound (yea I know, don´t compare speakers to IEMs). One problem though: I can´t find the FEDs anywhere. I´ve spent the last 30 min looking for them on Aliexpress/Ebay, but no success so far. Does anyone here have a clue where to get them ? Can´t find the replacement from @wolkegeist either ... Is Taobao the place to look for them ?

Also, I´m still very much interested in the MASMs, especially the MASM7, but i guess that´s a project for later, university keeps me busy.

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #9,915 of 16,074
First of all: Thanks for the replies ! I really didn´t expect to get so much amazing feedback within such a short time :)

I´ve come to the conclusion that I should probably go for either the Finale 2 or the BS6 as those builds seem to work really great consistently, which is probably a good idea for a first build. Out of those two, I lean more towards the Finale 2, as it seems to check all my points. I got the Neumann KH120s at home wich I absolutely love, and the Finale 2 seem to have a similar sound (yea I know, don´t compare speakers to IEMs). One problem though: I can´t find the FEDs anywhere. I´ve spent the last 30 min looking for them on Aliexpress/Ebay, but no success so far. Does anyone here have a clue where to get them ? Can´t find the replacement from @wolkegeist either ... Is Taobao the place to look for them ?

Also, I´m still very much interested in the MASMs, especially the MASM7, but i guess that´s a project for later, university keeps me busy.
As I said, you can change FED for dual Sonion 2389 or 2389 + 1700 as I describe above. Taobao is a good place to start, but if you need qualified vendor then check soundlink store on Aliexpress. Everything’s on sale on ali now so you probably can find some good deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back