Home-Made IEMs
May 28, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #9,121 of 15,989
FYI post mostly for the benefit of any fellow Australians who go searching for answers later.

I had queried Dreve on the attainment of products such as Lak 3 in Australia.
They let me know materials - "impression material and direct material" are considered 'Medical Devices'.

Due to recent changes to Australian law, All 'Medical Device' imports and sales are regulated by the Therapeutic Goods Administration and any importers or producers of said devices must be themselves registered to import said class of device and subsequent products registered. Warnings, fines etc. for non compliance.

In essence, Home Made - made in Australia CIEMs that are certifiably 'safe' are therefore impossible to make.
Perhaps you might be able to source appropriate materials from an existing registered importer. However this would be in breach of the need to also register the end user product. (This is my interpretation).

There are obviously hearing aid makers and a few CIEM makers here, so i presume they have jumped through the hoops.
There are also resellers of all the big brands.. so i suppose they too have jumped through the hoops.
As for the major brands who I assume ship products direct to consumers here... I have to assume they are in breach of our laws, unless they too have gone through the registration process here.

Having said all that...
Soundlink are accepting orders for hearing aid UV resins shipped to Australia.. so i'm still a little confused.
I have a friend of mine how is living in Australia and is also buying from soundlink(still not sure about lack and stuff)

I think, you can actually get the lacquer and medical grade acrylic, if you also import BA drivers with it and receive the shipping as electronics and electrical component inside.(I mean to say, as in a single pack)

@eunice @Ivan TT

Well, @DannyBouwhuis made a dual RAB with single spout and a FED with spout(FED is spoutless)

I think I can go even more crazy with new design(all because of him)

IMG-20190527-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20190527-WA0004.jpg

May 28, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #9,122 of 15,989
I have a friend of mine how is living in Australia and is also buying from soundlink(still not sure about lack and stuff)

I think, you can actually get the lacquer and medical grade acrylic, if you also import BA drivers with it and receive the shipping as electronics and electrical component inside.(I mean to say, as in a single pack)

@eunice @Ivan TT

Dreve have given me the bum steer, and by extension I have passed this bum steer on to this thread.

They have now told me the raw lacquer is fine to ship, they just won't do it because it is a flammable 'dangerous good'.

Perhaps i should delete my previous posts to clean the thread up a bit.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #9,123 of 15,989

@eunice @Ivan TT

Well, @DannyBouwhuis made a dual RAB with single spout and a FED with spout(FED is spoutless)

I think I can go even more crazy with new design(all because of him)

I should say that you really need a steady hand for this, getting the snouts of drivers is simple, just get a sharp knife and 'cut them off' this is hard to explain but you'll need some gentle force..

Glueing them back on is tougher, glue the drivers to each other so the sound ports are in the middle, use a bigger spout (hodvtec for example) glue it on both sound ports, make sure you don't get any epoxy in the sound ports (hard part)

I think that by adding spouts you'll decrease the width of the slots (sound port) slightly but I don't think this will be a problem, I'll measure a pair s soon as possible to find out.

Attachments

• IMG_20190528_182105__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20190528_182105__01__01.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #9,126 of 15,989
There are a few different ones.

Dreve has Lak3, plus another one that gets mentioned here sometimes. I believe it's called Fotoscreen.

Egger LP/H, or something similar.

Pro3Dure has one as well.

In my experience, Egger is the only one of those three that doesn't yellow when curing.

As for sanding and polishing a monitor made from a good resin like Fotoplast, that works well too. The lacquers are a bit faster.

It seems I misread that first part, about coating the ear impressions. I have some of that. It works better than wax for me. Lately, I've been doing something differently in that regard.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #9,130 of 15,989
Where did you buy it, how are you using it combined with BA for bass or DD?

I mailed a supplier and I was lucky enough that they let me buy a pair
I paired them with a fed 30048 and two raf drivers in series. Just for testing,It needed tuning but it gave me an impression how it would sound and I loved it. The SPL of the est is a bit low though ,like 90db unlike a swfk which is around 10db higher

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #9,131 of 15,989
So I built RAB/RAF (55ohm + 2.2uF zobel, green damper) set, tuning cloth removed on both.
Most fascinating result, RAB (32257) and RAF combine very gracefully, complementing each other qualities (resolution for RAB, extension and vividness for RAF).
It delivers all the benefits of multi driver BA set up without downside of crossovers and associated colouration which bothers me a lot.
Bass slams really hard, better than TF10, BS5 or 6, basshead in me is very happy :L3000:
This track in particular, those little synth stabs just jump at you and when the bass drops... yay!

Compared to dual RAF the sound is cleaner and more analytical, but a bit less musical/engaging, dual RAF is a king here! Dual RAB is simply not even in the same league, unless classical music is your doom.
Interestingly enough dual RAF sounds better with 22Ohm resistor in series, while low output Z is better suited for RAB/RAF combination, go figure.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #9,132 of 15,989
Quick question, where do you guys get the steel nozzle for iem? I’m digging through taobao and ali but doesn’t have any luck.

May 30, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #9,134 of 15,989
So I built RAB/RAF (55ohm + 2.2uF zobel, green damper) set, tuning cloth removed on both.
Most fascinating result, RAB (32257) and RAF combine very gracefully, complementing each other qualities (resolution for RAB, extension and vividness for RAF).
It delivers all the benefits of multi driver BA set up without downside of crossovers and associated colouration which bothers me a lot.
Bass slams really hard, better than TF10, BS5 or 6, basshead in me is very happy :L3000:
This track in particular, those little synth stabs just jump at you and when the bass drops... yay!

Compared to dual RAF the sound is cleaner and more analytical, but a bit less musical/engaging, dual RAF is a king here! Dual RAB is simply not even in the same league, unless classical music is your doom.
Interestingly enough dual RAF sounds better with 22Ohm resistor in series, while low output Z is better suited for RAB/RAF combination, go figure.

I want to try it, I have the drivers :) Do you wire them series or parallel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back