Home-Made IEMs
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #8,417 of 16,107
I've started using these. Rather than going through a hole in the shell, these slide sideways into a U shaped groove in the shell. So far, so good. They cost a little more than the other MMCX connectors I had been using, but not markedly so.

I'm also toying with trying the Linum T2 connectors. We shall see.
64C5E2FC-9A1B-46AD-8101-A2DA5E50181B.png

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #8,418 of 16,107
I've started using these. Rather than going through a hole in the shell, these slide sideways into a U shaped groove in the shell. So far, so good. They cost a little more than the other MMCX connectors I had been using, but not markedly so.

I'm also toying with trying the Linum T2 connectors. We shall see.

Woahhh....
They look perfect, where are they from?

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #8,425 of 16,107
Has anyone purchased one of the Soundlink curing chambers? I'm interested to see if buying would get more reliable results vs a homemade nail light setup.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ml?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.3.63cc6a21LHUMJd
I bought this one.
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b2z0SbhO

The results are no different than I got using two nail lamps taped together. The timer for the lamps and the capacity helps a lot with workflow. I can cure more than one piece at a time. It doesn't do anything in terms or curing that you couldn't achieve with a nail lamp though.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #8,428 of 16,107
I know nothing about iem design. But a while ago, I was blown away by the JH Audio Layla, and I attribute my amazement to the Freqphase design, in particular the diagonal directions of the soundstage stood out to me. I'd like to get into designing iems with three primary goals in mind. Firstly, I want to learn about crossovers. Secondly, I want to learn about tubing lengths and phase correction. Thirdly, I want to make something that splits frequency and phase into more bands than the Layla. Where should I start? What's some good measurement software?

I should note, I know nothing about circuits too.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #8,429 of 16,107
I know nothing about iem design. But a while ago, I was blown away by the JH Audio Layla, and I attribute my amazement to the Freqphase design, in particular the diagonal directions of the soundstage stood out to me. I'd like to get into designing iems with three primary goals in mind. Firstly, I want to learn about crossovers. Secondly, I want to learn about tubing lengths and phase correction. Thirdly, I want to make something that splits frequency and phase into more bands than the Layla. Where should I start? What's some good measurement software?

I should note, I know nothing about circuits too.
Dont start with crossovers.

Try implementing single drivers or dual driver single spout.

Learn about tubing, damping.

Then learn about RLC effect in series and parallel to a single driver.

R is resistor
L is inductor
C is capacitor

Then move to GV, HE and GK drivers. They have preassembled crossover.

Well its easy in beginning and is easy till the moderate level of designing.

But then the wall(yes that's a wall and not curve) of difficulties hit after that.

And... Single drivers are amazing if you get tuning right, plus less of hassle.

I have Ety ER4S diy with "series" 200ohm vishay melf resistor.

It is faster than anything I have heard. Even 64audio U18T doesn't come close to this speed of detailing. But it needs a tonne of power to drive....so no no....

Note: lol
OK "series" is when resistor is placed in same line of wire as speaker is.

"Parallel" is shorting(short circuiting) the circuit and placing the component on the short circuit.

First, the no crossover or circuit designs on this thread
Basic ones

And let me tell you, savant diy and @Furco design are better than some flagship roaming around

Etymotic ER4 DIY
Noble Savant DIY(just a 20ohm resistor)
@Furco GQ+RAB

Try these out.....

Then you can move to slightly complex ones

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #8,430 of 16,107
Dont start with crossovers.

Try implementing single drivers or dual driver single spout.

Learn about tubing, damping.

Then learn about RLC effect in series and parallel to a single driver.

R is resistor
L is inductor
C is capacitor

Then move to GV, HE and GK drivers. They have preassembled crossover.

Well its easy in beginning and is easy till the moderate level of designing.

But then the wall(yes that's a wall and not curve) of difficulties hit after that.

And... Single drivers are amazing if you get tuning right, plus less of hassle.

I have Ety ER4S diy with "series" 200ohm vishay melf resistor.

It is faster than anything I have heard. Even 64audio U18T doesn't come close to this speed of detailing. But it needs a tonne of power to drive....so no no....

Note: lol
OK "series" is when resistor is placed in same line of wire as speaker is.

"Parallel" is shorting(short circuiting) the circuit and placing the component on the short circuit.

First, the no crossover or circuit designs on this thread
Basic ones

And let me tell you, savant diy and @Furco design are better than some flagship roaming around

Etymotic ER4 DIY
Noble Savant DIY(just a 20ohm resistor)
@Furco GQ+RAB

Try these out.....

Then you can move to slightly complex ones
Thanks.

I'll start with simpler designs as you recommend, which one of those designs you recommended has more capacity for learning? ie more complex?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back