Home-Made IEMs
Mar 1, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #8,405 of 16,088
Thanks for the help everyone.

Have you used one of the UV lacquers on the shell? That makes the biggest difference
Yup I have since used the egger lacquer, it's at a little better but still not glossy enough. Its almost as if on the ones from wizard at noble audio there is a separate layer of transparent resin on top, it looks so good. Like there is a glass coating or something.

Did I not add enough? I am also gonna try what dhruvmeena96 said to add another layer of resin on top

How did you make that color? It's painted? or dyed? can you elaborate on it?

Its just some resin dye I got from taobao. Used some glitter to try to make some swirly pattern. It was my first try so swirly pattern didnt really come out as I expected it to

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #8,406 of 16,088
Thanks for the help everyone.

Yup I have since used the egger lacquer, it's at a little better but still not glossy enough. Its almost as if on the ones from wizard at noble audio there is a separate layer of transparent resin on top, it looks so good. Like there is a glass coating or something.

Did I not add enough? I am also gonna try what dhruvmeena96 said to add another layer of resin on top

Its just some resin dye I got from taobao. Used some glitter to try to make some swirly pattern. It was my first try so swirly pattern didnt really come out as I expected it to
Foto screen lacquer will do
Glass like lacquer

Mine is a dirty trick

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #8,411 of 16,088
Hadn't seen that one. Does it yellow like Lak-3 does? It says water clear, but so does the Pro3dure, and that yellows at least as bad as Lak-3.
hmmm that is the lacquer used in medical grade work

the yellow happens because of non inertness in air
For this type of application you have to make a UV autoclave sorta(it doesnt heat) where you can pressurize nitrogen when curing the lacquer

Vacumming and Nitrogen pressurization.

These have the best finishes

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #8,413 of 16,088
I will only gain 3dB with two 29689.
Sony... 2600$
blink.gif

Sonion 2356 = 20$
Sony dynamic driver = 2000$
That's a EX1000 driver trapped in acoustic calculated resonator for bass pass.

I think it should be 600$ if we take ex1k original mrp plus added stuff

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #8,414 of 16,088
I see, but does phase alignment really affect the sound that much? I mean as long as frequency bands are not completely out of phase it should still sound coherent enough right? Also, usually the less components you use in a crossover the more detailed the sound is, which is why most low pass filters are acoustic. But can high pass filters not be acoustically done? (And I hear that a capacitor high pass filter makes the sound more detailed...)
Yup, they affect....but nearby phase shifts(small shifts) are compensated by human brain ,ear diaphragm and muscle and hearing bone.

The more you correct phase, the more your brain compensation and eardrum unit compensation decreases, reducing the ear drum tightening to a certain extent in prolonged listening session(it doesn't cure pressure issue, just that ear drum relax faster). And due to less brain guessing game, things sounds accurate without headache and fuzzyness.

Annoying phase shifts are those which are not big enough to cancel phases or sound different but also not small enough to get compensated. These create fuzzy information with more brain guessing game and more eardrum and bone realignment.

Second question....yes it can be done

But do you want to hear the truth or want some encouragement.
Or want a bag mixed of both(I can give that to you too)

I know why piotrus-g said he cannot comment(guessing, dont know why exactly).

Its because that thing would be near impossible at DIY level plus pure acoustically boosting is bad idea as a pure acoustic low pass(acoustic low pass is easy to tune due to zero shifts, but a crossover bass done correctly can blow a smaller ID tube bass any day)

Read this

Well if the phase canceling occurs at higher frequencies you'd be able to hear it - f.e. vocals or highs can sound "strange" or "different" although still sounding undistorted, I guess it has to do a lot with psychoacoustics. I find following:
1. Sound with proper phase (no unwanted peaks or dips) across entire spectrum - sounds natural, detailing is good.
2. Sound with reversed phase on lows (canceling mid bass to bring sub-bass) - sound is unsettling for me, my mind is fighting to "understand" what's going on
3. Sound with one deep (case of many... many CI TWFK or DTEC TWFK comobs), not very noticeable, but there's small impact on final resolution of a monitor. i.e. it's more masking some of details.
4. Sound with minor phase incoherency in the upper spectrum - typically sounds intriguing - from my experience (measurements, observation, listening and reading reviews) those are earphones that gets a lot of attention because they have something "that sounds different or they do different" than the rest of IEMs.

and yes, really.

and? how's sound now?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back