Home-Made IEMs
Feb 26, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #8,386 of 16,088
Hello! After being incredibly inspired by the quality content on this thread and spending hours reading through most of it, I have decided to join the forum and partake in it. I've always wanted to create some custom IEMs (I own 1964 A3s) just as a challenge so I looked into it and found this incredible resource. Since then, I have ordered all the components and tooling nessicary to make a couple of pairs.

I can't wait to give it a crack and hopefully going from having no experience to being able to create some decent IEMS I'll post updates throughout the process.

I have ear impressions being taken tomorrow

Wish me luck!

Feb 26, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #8,387 of 16,088
@Ivan TT ,

How does your series RAFx4 compare to the GV? I really like the GV, but the price difference between them is huge.
I don’t have a GV, and yet to put together a CI/WBFK based set together (but I guess it’s more like GQ), so cannot comment, sorry.
I have bellsing 10025 so accounting for the difference 10025 is more coloured, has slightly better extension, but somewhat “wooly” lows and not as resolving/more unnatural upper highs.
I also have certain banned seller’s 8 driver set, I think it uses HODVTEC + WBFK or similar, but it lacks bass and the highs are too sibilant to my liking (no dampers in tubes unfortunately)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #8,388 of 16,088
I do get why you want the simplicity, I too only use the DragonFly on longer commutes and such. For normal day to day use, I use the Apple 3.5mm Adapter. The other adapters/DACs I tried all head their downsides. The AAW Capri balanced lightning DAC had a great sound, but sadly some background hiss. But it for sure had a good sound. Also good is the Fiio lightning cable, it also has a better sound than the apple built in, but the Fiio tends to colorize the sound and add some boomieness to the bass.

But I don't use any of these, as I want to be able to plug my 3.5mm jack into my notebook, which only has USB-C. I dream of a future with one adapter for my headphones I can plug into everything. Or is that the past? Just kidding, USB-C should be fine for us audio lovers.
Every one is just waiting Apple to USB C everything. But they love money too much to remove lightning port.

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #8,389 of 16,088
well

your 100% on RAB32257 will be 25% on Quad series RAB.....simple
On Zishan DSD if single is set to 19, quad will have same volume at around 20-21. I don’t know the scale they use, but it sounds like it’s around 3-4.5dB change for each step, so approximately x2-x3 voltage

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #8,390 of 16,088
On Zishan DSD if single is set to 19, quad will have same volume at around 20-21. I don’t know the scale they use, but it sounds like it’s around 3-4.5dB change for each step, so approximately x2-x3 voltage
3dB is losses in series of a pair
It is 5dB to 5.5dB loss if we go per conventions

And I think its somewhat 4.5dB to 5dB nearby

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #8,391 of 16,088
@Ivan TT

This is Ted Weber's answer ....

I have two 8 Ohm speakers that I can wire either parallel or series to my tube amp for an impedance of either 4 or 16 Ohm. My amp has both 4 and 16 Ohm output taps. Are there any sonic differences or benefits of series over parallel wiring or vice versa?

Connecting two speakers in parallel is an old trick to smooth out speaker response and enhance the damping of either speaker. HIFI designers took it one step further by connecting two speakers of different sizes in parallel. A speaker has a large impedance increase at its fundamental resonance, and depending on the installation, this can cause the speaker to sound boomy or out of control. By connecting two speakers in parallel, particularly two speakers of different sizes with different resonant frequencies, each speaker will tend to quench or dampen the boominess of the other. Since no two speakers are exactly alike, even two of the same size, that damping will occur, however slight, for any speakers connected in parallel. For speakers connected in series, there appears to be less control, and more of what is called 'back EMF' from the speakers fed back into the output circuit. While that seems rather chaotic, many players prefer the series connection, as it gives them a more textured tone, enhanced breakup, and overall a more desirable tone for guitar work. It's totally subjective, of course, and many factors affect the end result, such as voice coil size, gap energy, closed back/open back, output circuit damping, etc. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is try both arrangements since you have the luxury of impedance tap selection, and go with the configuration you like the best.

So now we must be clear about series tuning

Series gives mechanical point advantage
Parallel gives electrical point advantage

4times surface area with 4 times inductance enhances signal tone by adding distortion from each driver while again keeping distortion level same(smoothened distortion like a dynamic driver)while being harder to drive per every speaker helps in cone/film/diaphragm/membrane breakup. That's what I think you may be referring to dynamics(a inside feeling that speaker can provide even more in texture and detailing).

Feb 27, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #8,393 of 16,088
Feb 27, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #8,394 of 16,088
Nah man, it's Toshiba's driver been mentioned few times here in this thread
Since when Toshiba started making BA

And here I though

Knowles-america
Sonion-europe
Bellsing-china
Sony and tashima electronics-japan
Molex-taiwan
DRDO-indian defense(we do make BA, special army and HAL tejas jet fighter pilot use Custom IEM)

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #8,395 of 16,088
Feb 28, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #8,396 of 16,088
For my first build I want to use the GQ-30783. What damper configuration do you guys use with this driver?

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #8,398 of 16,088
Horn

7.5mm tube/ 1.5mm ID
2.5mm tube/ 2mm ID
3mm tube/ 3mm ID

Brown damper in 7.5mm tube/ 1.5mm ID tubing at 4mm
Brown damper center should lie at 4mm marker center

Thanks! I’ll keep you informed about my progress

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #8,399 of 16,088
305d5ec0-4a94-4689-9fc0-a7b5ece4a3c9.jpg
Made blue coloured shell today. Any idea how to make the shine brighter? I am trying to get glassy effect like the ones from Noble Wizard.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back