Home-Made IEMs
Feb 26, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #8,371 of 16,107
Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #8,374 of 16,107
Which configuration can my iPhone drive?
My iPhone can drive anything I built very good. The sound quality is also good. If you want to go for insane sound quality, invest in an Audioquest DragonFly Black (~$100) and an USB3 iPhone OTG adapter (~$40). You need to buy the large USB-3 OTG from Apple with charging port. They do work properly and don't break too quick. The cheap clones break after a few days and the small non-USB-3 did not work at all for me.
Knowles GV + DragonFly Black delivers insanely good sound quality.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #8,376 of 16,107
I find it curious that you say you go with series/parallel to make them easier to drive, but then add series resistance to the circuit. Kinda throws that argument right out the window.
i need same inductance to my circuit, not resistance

series parallel keep inductance and impedance same, so the circuit see it as a single speaker
i add resistor for attenuation afterwards
@dhruvmeena96 @eunice @Ivan TT

If i want to listen my music on my iphone. Which configuration can my iPhone drive?
I’m hoping to build a dual driver soon.

1. Noble Savant DIY version
2. Fucro or My mom version RAB32257 + GQ(its a triple driver but will count in double because GQ is bundled driver)
3. Etymotic ER4 20ohm version DIY

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #8,378 of 16,107
@Ivan TT ,

How does your series RAFx4 compare to the GV? I really like the GV, but the price difference between them is huge.
Before he reply
i have done series RAF too

its sounds lovely

see Knowles GV is upto tuning and damper
RAF is about fullrange love.
Its hard to explain but lemme explain, crossover introduce artifacts in signal but old time people were not able to avoid it due speaker inefficiency
series RAF sound like everything is done right. Vibrant mids, extended and amazing treble and limitless bass and that from a BA.
and no hiss

downside is that smartphone cannot power it properly

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #8,379 of 16,107
My iPhone can drive anything I built very good. The sound quality is also good. If you want to go for insane sound quality, invest in an Audioquest DragonFly Black (~$100) and an USB3 iPhone OTG adapter (~$40). You need to buy the large USB-3 OTG from Apple with charging port. They do work properly and don't break too quick. The cheap clones break after a few days and the small non-USB-3 did not work at all for me.
Knowles GV + DragonFly Black delivers insanely good sound quality.

I won’t want to accessories my iPhone too much. If I lose any of them, I won’t get back the same sound unless I get a replacement.

But I’m using a Baseus lightning to audio dongle. Apparent it has a DAC inside, iPhone recognise it as a USB 2 device. And it made the volume louder by 3 to 4 bar, also changes the sound ever so slightly.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #8,380 of 16,107
Before he reply
i have done series RAF too

its sounds lovely

see Knowles GV is upto tuning and damper
RAF is about fullrange love.
Its hard to explain but lemme explain, crossover introduce artifacts in signal but old time people were not able to avoid it due speaker inefficiency
series RAF sound like everything is done right. Vibrant mids, extended and amazing treble and limitless bass and that from a BA.
and no hiss

downside is that smartphone cannot power it properly

With my single 32257 with grey filter, no other electronic component, I play at 70%. Can you estimate how much softer will it be playing at? Not sure how to phrase it correctly. Like 4x32257 70% = 1x32257 30% volume.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #8,382 of 16,107
I won’t want to accessories my iPhone too much. If I lose any of them, I won’t get back the same sound unless I get a replacement.

But I’m using a Baseus lightning to audio dongle. Apparent it has a DAC inside, iPhone recognise it as a USB 2 device. And it made the volume louder by 3 to 4 bar, also changes the sound ever so slightly.

I do get why you want the simplicity, I too only use the DragonFly on longer commutes and such. For normal day to day use, I use the Apple 3.5mm Adapter. The other adapters/DACs I tried all head their downsides. The AAW Capri balanced lightning DAC had a great sound, but sadly some background hiss. But it for sure had a good sound. Also good is the Fiio lightning cable, it also has a better sound than the apple built in, but the Fiio tends to colorize the sound and add some boomieness to the bass.

But I don't use any of these, as I want to be able to plug my 3.5mm jack into my notebook, which only has USB-C. I dream of a future with one adapter for my headphones I can plug into everything. Or is that the past? Just kidding, USB-C should be fine for us audio lovers.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #8,383 of 16,107
Feb 26, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #8,384 of 16,107
I encounter a problem here and would like to ask for you guys' advice.
I connected the circuit as the graphs here, but only 31736 has sound. When I disconnected the wire of 31736, it turned out 2389 has sound only.
I am wondering if there s a fault of my connection design.
I tried the drivers before individually, and they all worked.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
5FD79E74-F68B-4472-8A6E-21BBE07EDB20.jpeg
F1C5E1E5-8F3C-4260-94C9-89391692286F.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back