Home-Made IEMs
Feb 24, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #8,356 of 15,989
Hi, can someone explain the difference (pros and cons) of CI, TEC, DTEC, HODTEC and HODVTEC?

I like the sound of Fender FXA9, planning to re-create the same sound.
Go to headfonia review of FXA9 pro

Driver for Bass HODVTEC(damm sure about it)
@Choy Wei De its not HODTEC....its HODVTEC(I was seeing side image. On headohonio review, a top view of drivers was actually semi visible and I know HODVTEC vents look like.. Sonion are squarish, while Knowles are round

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #8,357 of 15,989
Go to headfonia review of FXA9 pro

Driver for Bass HODVTEC(damm sure about it)
@Choy Wei De its not HODTEC....its HODVTEC(I was seeing side image. On headohonio review, a top view of drivers was actually semi visible and I know HODVTEC vents look like.. Sonion are squarish, while Knowles are round

I saw only one of the drivers is using a damper. I assume that driver is in charge of mids. I’m not familiar with dual drivers at that point of time when I was trying out that earphone.

Feb 25, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #8,358 of 15,989
I am ordering some BAs from Sonion rep in Europe. Anyone interested to hop on? PM me if interested.

Costs will be sum of {share of shipment to me, shipment from me to you and the actual price of your order}.

Feb 25, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #8,359 of 15,989
Hi, can someone explain the difference (pros and cons) of CI, TEC, DTEC, HODTEC and HODVTEC?
CI - Single driver - one of the biggest headrooms, very powerful - different family from all below
TEC - Single driver - smaller than CI, faster in response
DTEC - D(ual)TEC - 6dB bigger headroom compared to TEC
HODTEC - H(igh)O(utput)DTEC - 3dB improved headroom compared to DTEC (non-vented)
HODVTEC - HODV(evnted)TEC - improved headroom + vents

Feb 25, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #8,360 of 15,989
CI - Single driver - lower mid bass to subbass oriented(subbass is also good)
TEC - Single driver - mid bass to mids oriented
DTEC - D(ual)TEC - mid bass to mids(can do subbass)
HODTEC - H(igh)O(utput)DTEC - can do all three, improved dB response
HODVTEC - HODV(evnted)TEC - can do all three(subbass oriented)

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #8,361 of 15,989
@dhruvmeena96
Unfortunately I cannot confirm that series/parallel configuration of RAB-32257 and RAF-32873 is better than all 4 drivers in series, actually quite the opposite.

I have 2 IEMs based on x4 drivers configuration (both RAB and RAF) before me, initially configured series/parallel and then reconfigured as series only, the latter is much superior sounding, better extension on either side of the spectrum, better dynamics and overall musicality, beating series/parallel configuration hands down.

I also prefer RAF over RAB, RAF is a touch more vivid, but not at the expense of resolution/details. I used green damper on both, as with both brown and white sound had a touch of harshness unfortunately.

I did not use suggested zobel circuit though.
Tested on heavily modded Zishan DSD AKK4497, using x2 paralleled OPA1622 configured as buffer and +/-12V rails, so it can provide sufficient current, voltage and has reasonable damping factor for series/parallel configuration too (output impedance around 3Ohm).

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #8,362 of 15,989
@dhruvmeena96
Unfortunately I cannot confirm that series-parallel configuration of RAB-32257 and RAF-32873 is better than all 4 drivers in series, actually quite the opposite.

I have 2 IEMs based on x4 drivers configuration (both RAB and RAF) before me, initially configured series/parallel and then reconfigured as series only, the latter is much superior sounding, better extension on either side of the spectrum, better dynamics and overall musicality, beating series/parallel configuration hands down.

I also prefer RAF over RAB, RAF is a touch more vivid, but not at the expense of resolution/details. I used green damper on both, as with both brown and white sound had a touch of harshness unfortunately.

I did not use suggested zobel circuit though.
Tested on heavily modded Zishan DSD AKK4497, using x2 paralleled OPA1622 configured as buffer and +/-12V rails, so it can provide sufficient current, voltage and has reasonable damping factor for series/parallel configuration too (output impedance around 3Ohm).
Hmmmm... It can be

My concern was impedance bro...
Series will sound more vivid due to risen impedance and crazy rise voice coil impedance while lowered volume.

But on same volume pressure level, the series parallel will distort less and play more smoother.

Series on other hand won't even rise to that level of volume and distortion can make things vivid..

Both are safe to play, but series is harder to drive, that's all

RAF is more impedant at 1kHz, giving rise to average mid vibrancy(2ohms more) and is vivid in treble, but distorts more.

I tune by science first and then by musical tastes...

In my experience(I also did series, series parallel, parallel. .....series increases treble(sibilant if driven very high) and mid range response, lowers volume and black background.

Series parallel keeps the response same, lowers distortion, flattens phase response and timing. But sensitivity remains same, so it can cause some source hiss.

Parallel is worse and needs L-pad and a series resistance of 100ohms

Dynamic reach remains sorta same.)

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #8,363 of 15,989
Hi guys, have been a while since my last build. I'm gonna make another one for me, just with a classic GK, 1 tube, no dumpers. Wish me luck :) I have really tight ear canals, so 2 tubes are almost impossible in my case, on with 2 thin tubes which is not ideal... So yeah.

Will do some zebrano covers on it, love this wood to death!

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #8,364 of 15,989
Both are safe to play, but series is harder to drive, that's all
I'm certain my DSD has an output stage that is more than capable of driving 22Ohm load (and confirms to 8-to-1 rule re: impedance), so not a factor.
But we come from different (complementing, not opposing if you ask me) campuses: all I care about is the sound quality and qualities, and it's science problem if it contradicts what I hear.
And I hear some really wonderful stuff in serial (corrected) configuration, actually struggle to stop listening to music as it is such an emotionally involving and intense experience!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #8,369 of 15,989
I'm certain my DSD has an output stage that is more than capable of driving 22Ohm load (and confirms to 8-to-1 rule re: impedance), so not a factor.
But we come from different (complementing, not opposing if you ask me) campuses: all I care about is the sound quality and qualities, and it's science problem if it contradicts what I hear.
And I hear some really wonderful stuff in serial (corrected) configuration, actually struggle to stop listening to music as it is such an emotionally involving and intense experience!
i know

series sounds emotionally engaging and lovely
Ety ER4 100ohm edition was better than "20ohm edition" and "470uF 100ohm edition" in sound
what i meant at older post was harder driver which is quad RAB series(88ohms DCR at 108dB).
I did series parallel for ease of driving factor and for the zobel circuit i was making. Mine sounds like AKG K501. Mid range focused, heavenly stage and cold analytical but with crazy micro detailing rather than macro detailing. Coughs, placements, rasp was better done on mine

i did ED29689 quad series with red damper and RAB32257 quad series with white damper. They both sound magically resolving in nuances and macro detailing. dynamic reach is same in both, but the real magic was blackness in staging. No hiss, every instruments was isolated better and things were like vibrant rather than saturated

i think, that may have happened due to 4 times surface area and 31.2mH inductive force total(31.2mH voicecoil are present in 21inch fullranger from SEAS). That can give a feeling of very huge dynamic sound coming from my setup.

mine maintains 4 time surface area, at 7.2mH total inductance on circuit whereas the series behave like 15.6mH dual surface area, which can sound less like a dynamic driver though compared to your setup.

what i meant with signature was when your setup and mine setup are driven at exact volume(Your at max knob and mine at 1/4th of amp knob), your will distort more and heat up the amp as the load is too high and series driver tends to distort(in my experience), i just wanted to stay away from that

and i recently added 50ohms resistance to mine to stop it from hissing and behave more like audiophile. Both setups are good, mine sounds stage perfect and your sounds like detailed yet euphoric

from my experience

RAF is my favorite driver. damm that mids sounds so nice and also needs less damping compared to other drivers

@eunice @Ivan TT

best chat ever lol
Blame autocorrect, i always do.....its fun

by the way, quad series on ED29689. They seriously become lovely in sound. Ety measured tubing with green filter per 2 drivers make it dual bore

add 50ohms resistance in series to this

damm neutral and lovely sound, way better than Etymotic ER4

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #8,370 of 15,989
@dhruvmeena96

You mentioned earlier that you use universal IEM shells. Which shells do you use?

I have some fittment issues with the shells ordered from AliExpress. The nozzles is too small for my ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back