Home-Made IEMs
Oct 23, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #7,022 of 15,989
I have a general question. I understand that the glycerin cure step is to remove the shell from an oxygen environment. Is there something special in glycerin that helps here or would some other oil base product work? Say for instance mineral oil?
Just a thought but wasn’t sure if there was something specific in glycerin.

My only right choice - agar :beyersmile: Try polishing. It is easier than lack. It simply works. Try to test the configurations in existing headset housings. I used Westone 4, Ue900, Ue700, Ue600 without any problems.

The horn looks great. I’m curious if there has been test to confirm that it’s effective in benefiting the sound?
Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #7,024 of 15,989
I believe mesh towards BA. this allows your to adjust it or remove it after the ciem is assembled.

Both directions will work and will not effect the frequency but Like Furco said, if you have the damper tool you can remove with the mesh towards the armature. I have done a build for someone who has an over producing waxy ear and for that reason I had the mesh side point towards the ear to prevent them from impacting the opening of the damper with wax making it easier to clean.

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #7,025 of 15,989
Glycerin is best as it is not solvent based, strictly to remove from oxygen environment. If you use anything else it may be difficult for the alcohol bath to remove. Glycerin when it comes in contact with the alcohol dissolves, if you use oil based or strong solvents you will dull the surface resulting in less than stellar results. So Glycerin bath is the way to go.

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #7,026 of 15,989
Just giving everyone a update on the Retro-Tutorial I will be doing with the UV nail polish.

Still waiting for the UV Nail Polish.

I plan on this Tutorial being my 500th post as both celebration of where we have come from and a guide for those who do not have access to industry standard material/tools. I will go from start to finish with links to tools and materials. I’m thinking keeping it simple and doing the Savant Clone as it is still my favorite dual driver setup.

What do you guys think? Do you want any particular color or faceplate material?

Give me some ideas as to what you want me to do and what you want to see.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #7,027 of 15,989
I’m curious if there has been test to confirm that it’s effective in benefiting the sound?

better propagation of high tones, especially if you want them to be better exposed. This is very measurable after checking the graphs. In my opinion, more air.

Retro-Tutorial I will be doing with the UV nail polish

UV nail - good times :grinning:

IMG_04171.jpg

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #7,028 of 15,989
Just giving everyone a update on the Retro-Tutorial I will be doing with the UV nail polish.

Still waiting for the UV Nail Polish.

I plan on this Tutorial being my 500th post as both celebration of where we have come from and a guide for those who do not have access to industry standard material/tools. I will go from start to finish with links to tools and materials. I’m thinking keeping it simple and doing the Savant Clone as it is still my favorite dual driver setup.

What do you guys think? Do you want any particular color or faceplate material?

Give me some ideas as to what you want me to do and what you want to see.

If you'er not offended, I'd love to offer some "wish list" topics. I've been thinking about doing this for a while but it would require a bit of an investment in time, money and definitely audio/video equipment to make it as detailed as I'd want it to be.

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #7,030 of 15,989
Hello together,

First at all, sorry for my english :k701smile:

After a while, I‘ve got another question.
I‘m making a pair CIEM for a friend, but his Impressions are not so good, the seal I get with them is not outstanding.
I‘ve waxed them two times to get the wax thicker, but it wasn‘t enough.
So I tried to get a extra layer acryl on the shell.
The color of the shells is black.

But I have the Problem, that the layer didn‘t cure very good.
I applied it with a brush and let it turn around for about 3 minutes. Then I put it outside the UV-Chamber to prevent it from curing to fast, because then I get big bubbles from curing. After two minutes I put it into the Chamber and let it cure for about 5 minutes. Then I placed it in a glas of glycerin and cured it for another 10 minutes.
Then I pured out the glycerin and let it sit for the night.
Today I cleaned the shell, but with the Ethanol or Isopropanol I solved the brand new layer, and it came all off again.
In the Glycerin there also came some very big bubbles on the surface, that burned into / onto the surface.

Can anyone help me, with my faults?

Thank you in advance :)

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #7,031 of 15,989
Hello together,

First at all, sorry for my english :k701smile:

After a while, I‘ve got another question.
I‘m making a pair CIEM for a friend, but his Impressions are not so good, the seal I get with them is not outstanding.
I‘ve waxed them two times to get the wax thicker, but it wasn‘t enough.
So I tried to get a extra layer acryl on the shell.
The color of the shells is black.

But I have the Problem, that the layer didn‘t cure very good.
I applied it with a brush and let it turn around for about 3 minutes. Then I put it outside the UV-Chamber to prevent it from curing to fast, because then I get big bubbles from curing. After two minutes I put it into the Chamber and let it cure for about 5 minutes. Then I placed it in a glas of glycerin and cured it for another 10 minutes.
Then I pured out the glycerin and let it sit for the night.
Today I cleaned the shell, but with the Ethanol or Isopropanol I solved the brand new layer, and it came all off again.
In the Glycerin there also came some very big bubbles on the surface, that burned into / onto the surface.

Can anyone help me, with my faults?

Thank you in advance :)

In my experience it's better to just dump the impressions and get new ones, trying to thicken the shell after the fact will result in shells that are inaccurate and could cause pain when worn.

What are you using to color your shells?

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #7,032 of 15,989
I colored them with airbrush ink.
I made a pair for myself and it is really nice, but far away from the quality of the real Pro‘s here *g*

With the impressions that is a little tricky here, because we don‘t have so much good audiologists at the place, and the impressions are not so cheap here... :frowning2:

Oct 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #7,034 of 15,989
I colored them with airbrush ink.
I made a pair for myself and it is really nice, but far away from the quality of the real Pro‘s here *g*

With the impressions that is a little tricky here, because we don‘t have so much good audiologists at the place, and the impressions are not so cheap here... :frowning2:

Do what I do, use dental alginate and take the impressions yourself. It's very cheap, it just takes a bit of practice to get them right. Just remember to protect the inner ear with some type of dam beforehand. I make my dams with a bit of sponge tied to dental floss.

Oct 23, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #7,035 of 15,989
I don‘t think, that i want to do it for the friend, its a bit scary for me :)

Two month ago, I‘ve made adapters for my „beats X“ . On the right side, the seal was very poor, and for a test I tried to add two extra layers of acryl, and it works really nice. After that, I‘m now thinking to add another layer to the other side *g*

At this point I didn‘t have any issues with the curing process, the only thing I couldn‘t do, is to cure it in the glycerin, because there was all the elctronic in the shell. So I think, I will test it again for the friend to add another layer without curing in the glycerin. Without Glycerin I found that I have to wait after the curing and before the cleaning with ethanol / isopropanol for a day or so, otherwise the surface is completly opaque

Users who are viewing this thread

Back